U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 05:28 PM

15,808 posts, read 13,245,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
6 exact weeks as in 42 days? No...but it could have easily have been six weekends or a specific day of the week....or even 40 days...and really? You are going to quibble with Hopes over two days?
August 20-something to September 9th is so far away from 42 days as to be laughable. It isn't even three weeks. Want me to count it off for you?

Quote:
Do you have any proof that anything that this woman said was inaccurate or false? You are just trying to make excuses and attack Hopes (and honestly, I don't even like her that much but I will defend her on this one) because you are just quibbling for it's own sake.
No its not quibbling to call someone out for hyperbole that is ludicrous. Since when is less than three weeks six? Is basic math no longer relevant? And even the mother said that she was given the clearance well before then but waited until she had it in writing. So it wasn't even three weeks. She herself says "Then, finally, once the case worker consulted with her supervisor, I was reassured that because the kids really were just playing outside, and their stories matched mine as well as the police officer's account, the incident would be marked as a non-event and the case would be closed." That was days after the incident not weeks.

That is a far cry from "That's 6 weeks of being afraid a child might be taken away." to make the word "dramatic" not seem strong enough.

Quote:
Cases like these....CPS being called for children playing outside
Again misrepresentation. This was not CHILDREN playing outside. It was one six year old without any adult supervision playing alone in a park. Whether you like to ignore the fact or not, it is a sign of neglect. Lucky for everyone involved, the 6 yo most of all, it turned out not to be neglect just poor judgement. But pretending that a 6yo alone in a park is the same thing as a group of children playing outside is just wrong.

[quote}...is wrong to happen...this sort of crap messes up peoples life and hurt everyone in the long run. How is that for overly dramatic?[/quote]

No ones life was messed up. Not even the mother claimed that and she would be the person with the axe to grind. At least her hyperbole makes sense, she has a blog to promote. The stuff here? Pointless.

Want to abandon the mandated reporter system (and based on the timeline it was likely the police who called CPS)? Really? Can you imagine what the consequences of that would be? Removing the protections and responsibilities would be the real action to "mess up peoples lives" and hurt children in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 05:30 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,075,596 times
A child sitting alone in a park is a sign of neglect? Wow.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 PM

19,898 posts, read 36,500,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
August 20-something to September 9th is so far away from 42 days as to be laughable. It isn't even three weeks. Want me to count it off for you?

No its not quibbling to call someone out for hyperbole that is ludicrous. Since when is less than three weeks six? Is basic math no longer relevant? And even the mother said that she was given the clearance well before then but waited until she had it in writing. So it wasn't even three weeks. She herself says "Then, finally, once the case worker consulted with her supervisor, I was reassured that because the kids really were just playing outside, and their stories matched mine as well as the police officer's account, the incident would be marked as a non-event and the case would be closed." That was days after the incident not weeks.

That is a far cry from "That's 6 weeks of being afraid a child might be taken away." to make the word "dramatic" not seem strong enough.

Again misrepresentation. This was not CHILDREN playing outside. It was one six year old without any adult supervision playing alone in a park. Whether you like to ignore the fact or not, it is a sign of neglect. Lucky for everyone involved, the 6 yo most of all, it turned out not to be neglect just poor judgement. But pretending that a 6yo alone in a park is the same thing as a group of children playing outside is just wrong.

[quote}...is wrong to happen...this sort of crap messes up peoples life and hurt everyone in the long run. How is that for overly dramatic?
No ones life was messed up. Not even the mother claimed that and she would be the person with the axe to grind. At least her hyperbole makes sense, she has a blog to promote. The stuff here? Pointless.

Want to abandon the mandated reporter system (and based on the timeline it was likely the police who called CPS)? Really? Can you imagine what the consequences of that would be? Removing the protections and responsibilities would be the real action to "mess up peoples lives" and hurt children in the long run.[/quote]

It seems you're the only one who has said anything about abandoning the mandated reporter system or CPS - everyone else has said something quite different, which is that there are problems with it and with some perceptions by it and society in general that need to be addressed.

And you keep blowing that "blog to be promoted" horn. I believe you said that you are a mandated reporter yourself, did you not? Would that not mean that you have your own dog in this fight that is much more important than a blog and that should, in terms of motivation, be given just as much weight as, if not more than, the fact that the woman has a blog and thus a voice to speak about this?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
A child sitting alone in a park is a sign of neglect? Wow.
Yes.

I posted links to both federal and state websites on the subject. Children, particularly young children, being left alone, without adult supervision, (or in this case other companions) are one of the signs that can point to neglect. Same with a parent not expressing concern over said child's whereabouts. So can being dirty, having poor health, even developmental disabilities. Neglect is one of the hardest abuses to identify, especially for strangers, and is also one of the most widespread. But any of the signs of it can occur in perfectly functional families and frequently the most readily able to observe sign, is leaving a young child unsupervised in a public place.

The very difficulty of differentiating is one reason to get the experts who have real training involved, and is likely why the police were probably the ones who called CPS.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

It seems you're the only one who has said anything about abandoning the mandated reporter system or CPS - everyone else has said something quite different, which is that there are problems with it and with some perceptions by it and society in general that need to be addressed.

And you keep blowing that "blog to be promoted" horn. I believe you said that you are a mandated reporter yourself, did you not? Would that not mean that you have your own dog in this fight that is much more important than a blog and that should, in terms of motivation, be given just as much weight as, if not more than, the fact that the woman has a blog and thus a voice to speak about this?
[/url]
Dog in this fight? Despite the fact that I have said multiple times I would probably not even have called CPS let alone the police?

Maybe, if you consider wanting children who are being neglected and abused to get the benefit of being protected even at the expense of some people being inconvenienced.

She seems very proud of all of the attention, in particular "inciting internet riots" maybe like this one. If the discussion was actually remotely about improving CPS, or even better, about increasing their budgets, hiring more investigators, and improving public awareness, I would be all aboard. But this thread is basically about lambasting a neighbor who may or may not have even called CPS, and we have never heard their side of the story. CPS, the police, they don't get to give their side ever. So yes, when you only hear one side of a complex story, and that side from someone seeking publicity AND the "wronged" party, it is common sense to take it with a grain of salt. If you choose not to do so, that is of course your right.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,075,596 times
Quote:
Yes.

I posted links to both federal and state websites on the subject. Children, particularly young children, being left alone, without adult supervision, (or in this case other companions) are one of the signs that can point to neglect. Same with a parent not expressing concern over said child's whereabouts. So can being dirty, having poor health, even developmental disabilities. Neglect is one of the hardest abuses to identify, especially for strangers, and is also one of the most widespread. But any of the signs of it can occur in perfectly functional families and frequently the most readily able to observe sign, is leaving a young child unsupervised in a public place.

The very difficulty of differentiating is one reason to get the experts who have real training involved, and is likely why the police were probably the ones who called CPS.
The park was 150 yards from the house. The child had been playing with his sister minutes before. According to the blog, he had been outside a total of 15 minutes the entire day and has "rules and parameters for playing outside. The park was could be seen from the house.

Sounds super neglectful.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,295,377 times
Quote:
If you want to nit pick, the police were called on August 18th and the case was closed on September 9th. 23 days which is 3 weeks and 2 days. Can we move on from this?

Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 PM

19,898 posts, read 36,500,136 times
Oh, I'd LOVE to hear the neighbor's side of the story. But somehow I suspect we won't be hearing it, and not because the "wronged party" doesn't want us to. If that neighbor wants to identify herself and explain why she felt it necessary to call the police and/or CPS (because the chances that she wasn't the one who did so are vanishingly slim) over a child playing alone on a bench within easy eyeshot of his own house (saw that on the news this morning with the reporters at the bench and the house within easy view), I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:09 PM

8,957 posts, read 4,879,409 times
Having been investigated at least 4, 5, 6, maybe more times in my life (background for the Navy, by NIS for a contact incident, maybe by NIS as an internal affairs test, co worker was arrested for drugs, the dog incident, for my CHL, by a Secretary's office for employment), it's something that one, at least in my line of work, gets use to. Whether it is actually there or not.

Now, many probably won't want to hear this but there's a useful passage in a Gardner (I believe) 007 book.......Live your life as if you are always under surveillance.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,295,377 times
Quote:
Dog in this fight? Despite the fact that I have said multiple times I would probably not even have called CPS let alone the police?

Maybe, if you consider wanting children who are being neglected and abused to get the benefit of being protected even at the expense of some people being inconvenienced.
I fully expect mandated reporters to use some common sense and act like a human being rather then just following guidelines from a government handbook. If they see a child alone in a park and are concerned, they can further investigate by asking the child if he or she is ok and if their parents know they are at the park. Human beings do not call the authorities on their neighbors for allowing their kids to play at the park.

Quote:
She seems very proud of all of the attention, in particular "inciting internet riots" maybe like this one.
Really? Proud? Maybe her "inciting internet riots" was an attempt at humor. Some people use humor when faced with difficult situations and emotions. I know I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or