U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Mount Laurel
4,146 posts, read 8,386,199 times
Reputation: 3409

Advertisements

Bad judgment on the parent part and premature action by the neighbor.

Six is very young to be left alone. If the parent had this child in school or day care, would she find it acceptable that her child is outside with an adult supervising 150yd away?

In my school district, kids are not allowed at bus stop or release from the bus without adult until 4th grade or 11 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,227,629 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Bad judgment on the parent part and premature action by the neighbor.

Six is very young to be left alone. If the parent had this child in school or day care, would she find it acceptable that her child is outside with an adult supervising 150yd away?

In my school district, kids are not allowed at bus stop or release from the bus without adult until 4th grade or 11 years old.
Well not 6 year olds as they're usually in a preschool in a daycare setting and daycares have pick up requirements, but the 7 year olds (well actually I suppose a lot of those 1st graders would be 6 as the cut off is in January) are let out of the school here free to do whatever, whether that's walk home alone, wait for a parent or go off with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Mount Laurel
4,146 posts, read 8,386,199 times
Reputation: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Well not 6 year olds as they're usually in a preschool in a daycare setting and daycares have pick up requirements, but the 7 year olds (well actually I suppose a lot of those 1st graders would be 6 as the cut off is in January) are let out of the school here free to do whatever, whether that's walk home alone, wait for a parent or go off with friends.
In the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Finland
6,319 posts, read 5,227,629 times
Reputation: 10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
In the USA?
Nope, but I'm sure that there are plenty of areas in the USA that have similar danger levels as here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Bad judgment on the parent part and premature action by the neighbor.

Six is very young to be left alone. If the parent had this child in school or day care, would she find it acceptable that her child is outside with an adult supervising 150yd away?

In my school district, kids are not allowed at bus stop or release from the bus without adult until 4th grade or 11 years old.
Your district is very much the exception and not the rule. Most kids are walking home or at bus stops from first grade on. And being outside near one's own home is much different than a day care setting.

This thread has been shockingly sad about how many people don't let their kids do anything outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Your district is very much the exception and not the rule. Most kids are walking home or at bus stops from first grade on. And being outside near one's own home is much different than a day care setting.

This thread has been shockingly sad about how many people don't let their kids do anything outside.
Ours won't release a child from school unless there is a parent/approved person to take them. They don't let them just wander off from school unnacompanied. Not sure when that stops, probably 5th grade.

Having said that, I strongly disagree with the actions taken by the police and CPS in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM
 
2,779 posts, read 4,497,718 times
Reputation: 5024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Your district is very much the exception and not the rule. Most kids are walking home or at bus stops from first grade on. And being outside near one's own home is much different than a day care setting.

This thread has been shockingly sad about how many people don't let their kids do anything outside.
First grade and up all walk or ride their bikes to and from school in my neighborhood, without parents. There is no bus service and dropping your child off at school is strongly discouraged.

I'm with you Scarlet, this thread is devastating. My son is 8 now but at 6 was definitely allowed to ride his bike up and down our street alone. So were all the other kids in our neighborhood. Edited to add: our local public elementary school has a wooded area about 2 field lengths from the school where the kids play at recess without issue. I'm so glad I live somewhere with an ounce of sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 PM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
First grade and up all walk or ride their bikes to and from school in my neighborhood, without parents. There is no bus service and dropping your child off at school is strongly discouraged.

I'm with you Scarlet, this thread is devastating. My son is 8 now but at 6 was definitely allowed to ride his bike up and down our street alone. So were all the other kids in our neighborhood. Edited to add: our local public elementary school has a wooded area about 2 field lengths from the school where the kids play at recess without issue. I'm so glad I live somewhere with an ounce of sanity.
Well we live in Philadelphia, where walking home safely can be a block by block proposition, and a lot of kids live more than two miles out of the school boundaries.

I do believe it's also so parents who are not authorized by the courts to have contact with their child cannot just take them (aka kidnap them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 06:04 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Reputation: 30256
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I do believe it's also so parents who are not authorized by the courts to have contact with their child cannot just take them (aka kidnap them).
All children shouldn't be restricted due to a small percentage of students might have custody issues. If a parent fears another parent will contact a child without court permission, that parent should make arrangements to protect that particular child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 06:49 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ours won't release a child from school unless there is a parent/approved person to take them. They don't let them just wander off from school unnacompanied. Not sure when that stops, probably 5th grade.

Having said that, I strongly disagree with the actions taken by the police and CPS in this case.
That is shocking...all districts we've been in let kids as young as 1st grade walk....the most restrictIon is that parents of the walking kids are asked to let the school know they are allowed to walk.

When my daughter was in second grade she had some friends who were bus riders...but once a week they came to our home and I took them to ballet class. At the start of the year the parents let the school know..and that was it.

Honestly there is a huge problem with this current mindset.

Last edited by ScarletG; 09-23-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top