U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,829,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
All children shouldn't be restricted due to a small percentage of students might have custody issues. If a parent fears another parent will contact a child without court permission, that parent should make arrangements to protect that particular child.
I agree with you here. If a parent has specific concerns such as custody they need to put things in placerror that work forbthem...it would be a simple....don't let Susie walk.....not prevent ever other child that doesn't have the specific concerns from walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,739,972 times
I have friends who live in NYC and even their the kids as young as in Kindergarten can walk to and from school.

I am so glad that my son doesn't have to live in a bubble and he knows what it is like to gain confidence and to explore his world on his own terms

Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,504,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I have friends who live in NYC and even their the kids as young as in Kindergarten can walk to and from school.

I am so glad that my son doesn't have to live in a bubble and he knows what it is like to gain confidence and to explore his world on his own terms
Yep, when I lived in Brooklyn my train was full of kids taking the subway to school alone every morning. No one thought anything of it.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That is shocking...all districts we've been in let kids as young as 1st grade walk....the most restrictIon is that parents of the walking kids are asked to let the school know they are allowed to walk.

When my daughter was in second grade she had some friends who were bus riders...but once a week they came to our home and I took them to ballet class. At the start of the year the parents let the school know..and that was it.

Honestly there is a huge problem with this current mindset.
I don't believe there is, in this school district. In many neighborhood schools in Philly you'd be letting them walk off from school into war zones.

The teachers will not let them go until a parent/authorized person/sibling picks them up, and they know they're leaving with someone they're supposed to leave with.

Just sending a small child off to walk alone or even wait for a city bus in the hood is irresponsible and I'm glad they care enough to make sure the kids are safe, at least for that moment.

Not all schools are in suburban Mayberry where there's nothing to worry about while getting to and from school.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:54 AM

4,146 posts, read 8,407,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't believe there is, in this school district. In many neighborhood schools in Philly you'd be letting them walk off from school into war zones.

The teachers will not let them go until a parent/authorized person/sibling picks them up, and they know they're leaving with someone they're supposed to leave with.

Just sending a small child off to walk alone or even wait for a city bus in the hood is irresponsible and I'm glad they care enough to make sure the kids are safe, at least for that moment.

Not all schools are in suburban Mayberry where there's nothing to worry about while getting to and from school.
I live in the suburbs across the bridge and they have strict rules as I posted earlier. Maybe it's a regional thing. When my son has after school activities and if late bus is not available, the teachers is not going to let him out the door unless a parent/guardian picks him up. I've gotten phone calls in the past when I am 5-10 minutes late because they are simply not going to leave my child there.

In my area, walking to the school is not an option unless you are just down the street. Roads were not designed with pedestrians in mind. I consider my neighborhood pretty safe small neighborhood and there is not way any parent going to let their 6 years old out alone (maybe in a group) but there is always at least one parent from the group that does the monitoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or