U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,571,682 times

Advertisements

Parents put baby at risk atop Pulpit Rock - GrindTV.com

Good grief. And the "debate" is whether a fence should be in place? Should we also remove all wild animals from national parks because a few irresponsible parents put their kids close to wild animals like they're in a petting zoo, etc.?

How about parents taking responsibility as the first line of defense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 PM

39,026 posts, read 37,656,456 times
I have certainly noticed that people (well, Americans, since I've never been to Norway) begin to get a theme park mentality when they are at natural attractions.

It's as if they forget they aren't in some Disney-created locale with safety precautions at every turn.

It just goes along with the general lack of self-awareness we seem to be cultivating.

And no, the Norwegians don't need a fence at Pulpit Rock!

Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,221,841 times
They definitely shouldn't put up a fence, it would ruin the place.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 AM

2,698 posts, read 9,521,804 times
I saw the picture for half a second yesterday and had to immediately close the browser. I have a real fear of heights, especially in environments such as that (all natural, unsure footing, etc). Combine that with the normal fears any parents has (especially with mine being almost the EXACT same age as the one pictured), and it was almost too much. My kid is a fast crawler, and I'm not exactly Johnny Lightning. At the distance the adults were standing, I couldn't guarantee I'd be able to get there in time to keep her from going over.

Man, I'm almost having a panic attack just writing this post! Gah!!!!!!

Mike

Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Meh... a fence won't stop the stupid parents.

Here in Pittsburgh, a mom lifted her kid up over a protective fence at the Zoo, so he could "see the doggies better". She dropped him and he was killed by those African painted dogs.
Then they sued the Zoo. They made loads of money off their stupidity, and the exhibit had to be closed.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
My kid is a fast crawler, and I'm not exactly Johnny Lightning. At the distance the adults were standing, I couldn't guarantee I'd be able to get there in time to keep her from going over.
I agree. That was my 1st thought in that kids that age can crawl extremely fast. Unreal what people must be thinking(or not thinking).

Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... a fence won't stop the stupid parents.

Here in Pittsburgh, a mom lifted her kid up over a protective fence at the Zoo, so he could "see the doggies better". She dropped him and he was killed by those African painted dogs.
Then they sued the Zoo. They made loads of money off their stupidity, and the exhibit had to be closed.
And the people who made a bad choice get rewarded with money?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 PM

970 posts, read 1,743,712 times
There are fences around one of the big waterfalls in Yosemite National Park, and there are still idiots who climb over them to take photos and die from the fall.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
This is the very first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 AM

637 posts, read 1,009,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I saw the picture for half a second yesterday and had to immediately close the browser. I have a real fear of heights, especially in environments such as that (all natural, unsure footing, etc). Combine that with the normal fears any parents has (especially with mine being almost the EXACT same age as the one pictured), and it was almost too much. My kid is a fast crawler, and I'm not exactly Johnny Lightning. At the distance the adults were standing, I couldn't guarantee I'd be able to get there in time to keep her from going over.

Man, I'm almost having a panic attack just writing this post! Gah!!!!!!

Mike
My heart is also racing. I think I have some sort of fear of falling that's triggered by certain visual cues. You could dangle me over the Grand Canyon from a helicopter and I'd be fine, but I would have issues with walking near the edge, even with a rail. I can't see other people get too close either.

There's a baby on a cliff! Can someone please photoshop a fence into the image so I can go about my day?

And all those people out there on that rock…does the Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire mean nothing to them?!Old Man of the Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting