U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,243,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
Thank you Angie... my husband goes to either a group ride on his bike or martial arts 3-4 nights a week and I have to feed the kids dinner, bath and bed. I think I'm getting a little burned out. One night where he can completely take charge AND take them out so I can have alone time will go a LONG way. As it is, I've completely changed the way I eat for the better and have been cooking healthier meals for the whole family: DH likes it but all the kids do is complain and fall on the ground if they hear that mom's cooking. I get a little tired of it but I know I can't take it personally. I need a night where I can prepare a meal and actually get through the meal without being groused at or interrupted by a million requests, lol.

And my boys are 4 and 7.
I went through this with dinner too.

I went on strike with the kids. I still cooked for my husband and I but gave them pb&j each night for dinner. That lasted about 3 days. It's healthy and nutritious so don't worry about that.

You do need a break. I get it completely. You need time to not be someone's wife and the kids' mom. Just to be you. It's so important.

Go to the library and write. That will give you time and not with others. Just you. That will help you be a better wife and mom. Now you're just going through the motions because you have to but you're resenting doing everything for everyone and no give back.

I used to go to Borders and get a coffee and read for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 AM

368 posts, read 767,913 times
Thanks all - making a list of things that make me happy is a great idea as well. I bought myself a digital recorder and although I felt initially self-conscious dictating my thoughts for writing, it felt great just to get the ideas out of my head without worrying about what they "sound" like. I have to stop worrying about the end product and how it would be perceived when I haven't finished a chapter yet. Why is it that things that I used to LOVE to do as a child which was constantly write stories is now something I feel nervous about??? I also have been missing going to art museums and seeing chamber music. DH hates that stuff and taking the kids to a "cultured" event?? LOL Forget it. "Boooorrring!" is all I'd hear and it would put a damper on my experience.

This week, I got 2 nights to myself after work since DH agreed to take charge of the kids (although not surprisingly, they didn't get baths. DH hates giving them baths because the boys splash water everywhere. Sigh. Can't have everything) and put them to bed. He told them I was asleep. I was in a guest room typing away but I heard them yelling "Where's mom!?" LOL. Just being able to eat my dinner in peace, do some writing while I wore a vitamin C mask, and some gentle yoga at home without the kids interrupting me as to why I'm not doing "the advanced" portion of the workout was golden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting