U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 AM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times

Advertisements

OK, I read the thread through last night, and I have a few thoughts.

I recall a counselor telling me once that when social services gets involved in your life, it's hard to invite them to leave. So I would err on the side of caution in making any kind of a report to Child Protection Services. Of course, if in the judgement of the OP, the kids really are in danger, for health reasons or whatever, that's a different story, but just to solve a neighbor problem, I'd say "no". Also, I once worked for a health department that was asked to check out a lot of health-related calls to CPS, and many of the parents said they knew who "turned them in", or thought they did. So anonymity doesn't always work. Be cautious.

As far as the school situation, I don't think the OP should do anything. This is a neighbor problem, not a school problem, from what I recall from last night. There is no law against moving somewhere for better schools. People do it every day. There's a saying that the wealthy have always had school choice. I have heard of people getting in trouble for giving a fake address, e.g. that of a relative who has the same last name, a non-custodial parent, etc. I've also seen eyebrows raised at people like Tim Tebow's parents who rented an apt. in a "good" school district, where Tim supposedly lived with his mom, while the rest of the family lived on the family property in a lesser district (lesser for football, anyway). But there's nothing illegal about living with relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,192,017 times
I had the same problem. I just told my kids not to talk or hang around with those two kids from next door. After a few times of telling them my kids were doing homework and could not play they got the message. These two kids, 8/10, boy/girl, have been kicked out of every home on the block that has kids. Their mom is divorced and works a lot of hours, but just does not get a handle on her kids.

Do yourself a favor and ban them from your kids, home etc.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:29 AM

746 posts, read 624,479 times
CPS. CPS. CPS. Seriously, OP, call CPS and be done with it. Those kids don't deserve to live in a roach-infested, cat pee home, no matter how annoying they are or how nice the elder lady of the home is.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I understand they need help and even why. I like the grandma and I want to help her struggling family out. But I can't anymore. It's too much. I don't know how to find a middle ground because it seems no one will let me.
With people like this, there isn't a middle ground. Many of us (including myself) have had neighbors like this. We had a family near us in our old neighborhood that never watched the kids. Their kids would be running up and down the street, with no parent in sight at age 2. I think each of us in the neighborhood took pity for awhile until it was overwhelming and we cut ties. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or