U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,057 times

Advertisements

My daughter has gone to the mall a few times. She and a friend just walk around people watch and talk. They go into two stores to look at things, but other than that walk around. What is the harm? There is none. She doesn't go more than once every couple months or so, and stays about two hours. Longer than that and they get terribly bored and want to come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,325,868 times
As a kid I always hated the mall. I hated stores, I hated shopping, and eventually the only store I liked was the bookstore. And now I work at the mall.

If you're just going to drop your kids off at the mall for a few hours completely unsupervised, especially on a weekend, then you suck and many mall workers hate you. I don't know how things are at your local mall, but at my local mall mallrats have become a major issue, to the point that we've had to call in backup with security from another mall.

Children who get dropped off at the mall for a few hours unsupervised (most notably the mall rats) cause traffic in corridors, hang out in stores and are generally loud, obnoxious, break things, steal things, act really suspiciously and very often don't buy anything. They're rude. I'm not saying that they're all like that, but a large majority are.
Really, it's not fair to the people who work at the mall to have to watch your bratty little kid. It's also not fair to the people who are at the mall as paying customers.

Mall workers/security doesn't care if your kid is a "good kid" or not. It's too much of a pain to differentiate and your kid is going to get treated like a criminal anyways, especially if one of the kids friends misbehaves in any way.

So please please please please, for the love of all that is good and holy, please DO NOT JUST DROP YOUR KID OFF AT THE MALL FOR A FEW HOURS! There are other places and ways teenagers can socialize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Some malls do not evan allow minors to be in them without an adult. My parents did not let me do this untill I was 16 and evan then it was a rare treat
One of the malls in the area here does that and it cuts down incredibly on the mall ratting problem. My mall was going to try to do that too but management said no. D:<

Last edited by Puru; 05-19-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Yes, I allow my 13-year-old daughter to go to the mall for a few hours with her friends. I make sure they have an agenda (my daughter wants to spend some birthday money to buy new clothes, her friend wants help finding a new bathing suit, etc.). They don't just loiter. I would rather ram hot skewers into my ears than shop with my daughter. Everything I like is lame, and she takes foreeeeeeeeever. She's a good kid and has nice friends. They're not hoodlums. We live in a nice area. They know safety protocol. They're fine. My daughter knows that if I hear word one from anyone that she misbehaved, I will come down on her like a hammer.

And Puru, I'm sorry you hate working at the mall, but I do not suck.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:44 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
I let my dd who is nearly 15 go hang out at the mall with her friends. There is always at least 2 of them and they are never to leave the building lol...I only started allowing this this year.
In high school, my friends and I would hang out at the mall all day on Saturdays trying out EVERY outfit. This is what my dd and her friends do too, plus have lunch. I think 12 and 13 is a little young although I wouldn't mind if I was actually in the mall doing my own thing and letting them have a little freedom, as long as they have a cell phone and meet up with me at certain points every hour or so.

Editing to add that when my dd goes to the mall, she does have money and isn't there just loitering, although I know that happens alot too.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,316,147 times
My son and daughter (14) have been going to the mall with friends since they were 13. We have one of those huge movie complexes right in the mall and initially my kids would meet friends and go to the movies, then go to the food court and buy a snack, then call for their ride home. Now they do a lot of their own shopping as well, and, dd in particular, will meet her girlfriends there to shop. They don't go to the mall to loiter, they have solid plans regarding which friends they are meeting and what they plan to do at the mall, they get a ride to and from the mall, and they only go to the mall (including the movies) during the day. No evening hours until they're older.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 PM

66 posts, read 230,270 times
I remember being 13 or 14 the first time my mon let me and my friends go to the mail alone but that was back in the 80's and things were a little diffrent then. My mother let me do alot of things that I would never let my child do (go to Disneyland without a parent when I was 16, take the bus to the beach with friends when I was 14................) but again it was the 80's and there wasn't as much to worry about. I was also a good kid and my mom made me check in all the time (no cell phones back then just pay phones). Unfortuanatly beacuse of the world we live in today it really doesn't matter how mature or "good" your child is anything can happen at anytime. I think the best thing to do is give your child freedom a little bit at a time and see how they handle it and move on from there. It is also a good idea to talk to your child about the dangers and what they sould do if they should find themselves in a bad situation.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM

433 posts, read 1,538,529 times
I would not do that. I was talking to someone about that and she was saying that where she lives there was an issue with teens at the mall. When other teens would go into the bathroom they would be assaulted.

Where I live there is a ban on teenagers at the mall. After 5:00 during the week no children under, I think 18, can bee at the mall without an adult. I don't know about the weekend but I know they have rules then too. I love that. There is nothing worse than going to the mall and having these groups of obnoxious teens hanging around with nothing better to do.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,325,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
And Puru, I'm sorry you hate working at the mall, but I do not suck.

I don't hate working at the mall, I just hate mallrats. Its nice that your daughter and her friend(s) only go when they have something to do and actually want to shop. most kids go just to loiter and socialize.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
For those of you who think the kids have no money, I challenge you to take a look at a good number of the stores at the mall and who they market to: Claire's, Justice, Limited Too, Fuzziwigs, the fast food in the food court. Even if those kids don't have money in their pocket that day, they sure remember to tell mom about what they saw. Someone is buying all those clothes and accessories. If the mall doesn't want the kids, they need to limit the stores to Talbots, Nordstrom and Starbucks (or whatever they deem would be marketed toward employed adults only)....I do understand some malls have had to create rules regarding teens -one of our malls around here did too but that was a mall I would never in a million years have dropped my kids off at to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or