Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:01 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
That lady is a hero- Not many people even look twice when kids are in danger these days.
They're always concerned about dogs being left in vehicles, not so much kids

Its disgusting that the onlookers & the security guard tried to stop her-
even threatening her w/ arrest
We live in a sick world.....
If she didn't do what she did the kid could have been another statistic.
Sadly, another story like this didn't end well this week. A car ran into a drainage ditch, and the cops threatened to arrest the people who were in the water trying to save the driver. They all came out, and the cops stood around and did nothing while the driver drowned.

Drowning witness: Police stopped men from trying to save woman trapped in car - KFOX - El Paso Top Stories - Breaking News, Weather, and Traffic

Thank goodness for people who put someone's humanity above following rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Sadly, another story like this didn't end well this week. A car ran into a drainage ditch, and the cops threatened to arrest the people who were in the water trying to save the driver. They all came out, and the cops stood around and did nothing while the driver drowned.

Drowning witness: Police stopped men from trying to save woman trapped in car - KFOX - El Paso Top Stories - Breaking News, Weather, and Traffic

Thank goodness for people who put someone's humanity above following rules.
I don't understand why cops didn't do something here?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I don't understand why cops didn't do something here?
The first rule of rescue is don't become a victim. I can't speak to this particular situation but perhaps the cops believed the risk to would-be rescuers outweighed the chance of saving the driver.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
A distraught man drowned in Alameda California while law enforcement stood on the beach and watched and prevented others from helping.

All public safety officers said they were following strict protocol...

The police/fire departments no longer offered water rescue and only those certified in water rescue could make the attempt... the man died in water deep enough to stand a ways out from shore.

Alameda police, firefighters watch as man drowns, blame budget cuts for being unable to respond | abc7news.com

Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
^^^^ If I posted my true thoughts on why the people who
are hired to "serve & protect" aren't actually doing their jobs--
I'd be banned from this site, lol

Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
All comes down to liability and not sticking your neck out...

I've been in sticky situations before and did what I knew was right.

Way off topic... I work at a Hospital and an elderly woman ride home did not show up... in speaking I learned she lived near me.

She was quite distraught thinking about her pets not having dinner on time and we could not reach her family...

I drove her home after work and saw to it that she was safe inside and the door locked.

The Hospital CEO told me I put the Hospital in jeopardy because if anything were to go wrong... even a traffic accident, the Hospital would be involved...

She said if this happens again to find her and the Hospital would pay for cab fair...

Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I entered a Target recently and saw as I walked through the parking lot a huge, expensive SUV with three children locked inside. I live in Arizona. It was hot. I went immediately to Customer Service and got in line. When I finally got to the counter to tell an associate, she told me I would have to wait for a manager. I wanted almost ten minutes. Then the manager told me he couldn't do anything (on the grounds Target didn't own the parking lot, their landlord did) and "if I wanted to stick around" he would call security and have them deal with it. Another 10 minutes later a droopy-looking kid about 18 in an over-sized guard's uniform came on the scene. I told him what the car looked like, where it was parked, and the license number. He appeared VERY ANNOYED ... with me! No one would heed my advice to page the owner of the car and tell him or her to deal with the children.

Ummmm....

What happened next? If you didn't do anything further, you are just as bad as the others in this scenario.

Were the children ok?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
All comes down to liability and not sticking your neck out...

I've been in sticky situations before and did what I knew was right.

Way off topic... I work at a Hospital and an elderly woman ride home did not show up... in speaking I learned she lived near me.

She was quite distraught thinking about her pets not having dinner on time and we could not reach her family...

I drove her home after work and saw to it that she was safe inside and the door locked.

The Hospital CEO told me I put the Hospital in jeopardy because if anything were to go wrong... even a traffic accident, the Hospital would be involved...

She said if this happens again to find her and the Hospital would pay for cab fair...
Sad, litigious, paranoid, unloving world we live in. Ultrarunner, thank you for being a good person in this sad world.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Might have been more prudent to go in the store, tell customer service to page the parents with a warning that in 5 minutes you'd be extracting the child from the car yourself and phoning the authorities. To immediately break the window first and ask questions later seems a bit showy to me.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Sorry, no offense buti don't believe you

Humans are disturbing, we have been since we stood up on some sub Saharan plain.. . and probably before that (see the crap that Chimps do to each other?)

My assumption is that unless you brace yourself, you will fail the test

and if people tell me that they would do something brave on the internet, I consider that bravery as a reflection of being hidden behind text and a computer. . and not real world bravery.
So what have you done to be such a hero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Not to denigrate this women but why no call to 911? Most cops can open a car in a minute or so with a slim jim.

She of course did the right thing though there were likely better. side window and reach in without risking ones own body trying to get through a windshield hole.
Because something like this will not take priority for 911 over robbery, accidents, etc.

Average police response time is probably 15 minutes. Who knows how long those kids had been in there for already.

People can be a part of the solution or a part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting