U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:57 AM

5,896 posts, read 7,152,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
It is difficult to OD on cocaine. Statistics show that alcohol is far more dangerous and lethal, so the cocaine is not putting him in any additional physical danger. Heroin is the most lethal drug after alcohol. Both can slow your heart rate and respiration to death if you overdose.
WRONG!! It's dangerous to spread incorrect information when lives and health are involved.

Santa Clara University - The Wellness Center -Mixing Alcohol with Other Drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 AM

726 posts, read 667,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
We have come a long way in studying the brain especially with brain imaging. Do some more research on long term effects of drugs such as cocaine. You may think you feel fine. There has been enough research and findings to contradict what you feel.
I have no long term history of cocaine. I have taken the odd line of cocaine here and there, probably less than 10 times and found it to be quite a boring chemical, especially for the price. What I was trying to convey is that their son took it once, he's no addict, he's not currently affected in any way and he will have to do significantly more before that starts to happen.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM

12,944 posts, read 19,901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I have no long term history of cocaine. I have taken the odd line of cocaine here and there, probably less than 10 times and found it to be quite a boring chemical, especially for the price. What I was trying to convey is that their son took it once, he's no addict, he's not currently affected in any way and he will have to do significantly more before that starts to happen.
You, we and the parents have no idea he's only tried cocaine once. He doesn't usually come home on the night's he's been out partying.

Parents have an obligation not to turn a blind eye to this stuff despite those that claim it isn't a big deal.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM

9,334 posts, read 5,840,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The problem is that a lot of the current substance abuse problem exists is suburban neighborhoods. Substance abuse issue is no longer something thought as happening in the inner city poor family.

The fact that the parents is allowing this to go on for 2 years is very troubling and it's not un-common. Why? Cause they don't know who to turn to for help.
True. These days, calling the authorities is not a very good idea. Telling the school is a no go. The rehab places can be a racket. Prevention counselors are not always that great. And, telling the other parents can backfire. I would get the son to tell me who brought the cocaine to the party and where that person got it from. Once the seller is determined, I would pay them a little visit.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,265,310 times
I think everyone scared off the OP because he's getting a high dose of reality thrown his way....

Old 09-26-2014, 01:53 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,335,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I would get the son to tell me who brought the cocaine to the party and where that person got it from.
The OP's son might have brought the coke to the party. If it wasn't him, it's possible he has no idea who the seller is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Once the seller is determined, I would pay them a little visit.
LMAO! Good luck with that course of action. It's not going to end well one way or another.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,597 times
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am not here to justify my parental decisions or my son's behavior. I think I was a little unclear in my first post. We NEVER condoned the use of alcohol or marijuana. In fact, he was punished several times when we caught him drinking/ smoking pot. The first time he was caught smoking pot at a friends house, we took away his car and phone for 2 weeks. However, we have always stressed that IF he chooses to drink/smoke, he must do it in a safe manor (no driving or getting in a car etc) We can not supervise him around the clock. Both he and most of his friends are honors students, varsity athletes, involved in student council etc. He is not a drug addict. He is a teenager who made a very stupid decision which could have caused huge consequences. Our main concern is teaching him how to stop making risky, impulsive decisions. I'm not sure if isolating him from his friends is the answer to this problem.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 PM

39,474 posts, read 38,087,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadjason33 View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am not here to justify my parental decisions or my son's behavior. I think I was a little unclear in my first post. We NEVER condoned the use of alcohol or marijuana. In fact, he was punished several times when we caught him drinking/ smoking pot. The first time he was caught smoking pot at a friends house, we took away his car and phone for 2 weeks. However, we have always stressed that IF he chooses to drink/smoke, he must do it in a safe manor (no driving or getting in a car etc) We can not supervise him around the clock. Both he and most of his friends are honors students, varsity athletes, involved in student council etc. He is not a drug addict. He is a teenager who made a very stupid decision which could have caused huge consequences. Our main concern is teaching him how to stop making risky, impulsive decisions. I'm not sure if isolating him from his friends is the answer to this problem.
Don't fool yourself into thinking he should just go back to hanging with the same kids. And don't get bogged down in semantics of "addict" vs. "user." Like I said, I know many boys like that in this community.

One thing worked - family counseling.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:04 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,474,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Use vs. abuse"?? LOL

For every "genius millionaire playboy philanthropist" like you and el marto, there are a hundred "users" behind you who are not so lucky.

And I'm saying that as a resident of a top-5 meth state in the US.

Correct, use vs abuse. And I'm saying this as a professional counselor and using the current DSM-5 clinically accurate definition for drug abuse. What "top drugs" anyone uses in any state besides that of the OP, including mine, is inconsequential to his son's health.

It seems like you and many others are implying some kind of *statistics* such as "only one in one hundred WILL NOT become addicts, all others are doomed." The FACT is that it is closer to THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Look at the actual data vs what personal anecdotes are represented here, reported by the sensationalist media, or advertised by private for-profit rehabs and detoxes.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...ercentage_drug

At the risk of repeating myself, I do think that the OP needs to set appropriate boundaries and consequences for his son. I do not think that he needs to give into all of the hysteria posted here on this topic that is unfounded on facts but instead on reactive emotions.

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 09-26-2014 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM

12,944 posts, read 19,901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadjason33 View Post
Sorry Dad. By allowing him to stay out on party nights, you were indeed condoning his behavior. After the first time, you should have dropped him off, picked him up, and smelled his breath. He's been making stupid decisions for 2 years already, so forget teaching him anything. He knows. Time to lower the hammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting