U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 04:18 AM

470 posts, read 998,520 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it is ADHD but my child has focus issues - In school (1st grade) she will do work when a teacher/aide is near/beside her but as soon as they walk away she then fiddles around with her eraser, fingers, etc. On individual tasks when the teacher ask her to do something she will just fiddle around with the paper and not complete the task unless the teacher comes by and asks what she is doing. The teacher also reports that my child is sad a lot of the time which really concerns me.

At home, it takes 5 or 6 times from us telling her to do something before she actually does it. She also says to us that she cant remember a lot of things and that her brain just cant remember everything. I sit down and do homework with her and she can do it if I am sitting with her.

We went to a neuropsychologist and did IQ/disorder testing and they said she had a language disorder and that speech therapy is needed and she might have a focus problem.

We have met with the school the past few months and they are starting a IEP for individualized instruction for her. However, what else can I do? we are going to an outside SLP for help after school once a week.

The teacher does say our daughter has a big problem with focus, there is no hyperactivity but just focus and inattention. I have done a bit of research and see ADHD (inattention) is a disorder. What do I do next?

if you research some posts of mine from the last couple of years you will see that we have tried to figure out what is going on with our daughter and we might be closer but really wanted to know what our next steps should be? Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,882,400 times
First of all please calm down. I went through exactly the same as what you explain. I went through those tests with my daughter too. My daughter did exactly what you describe in your post. She will grow up she will be better trust me.
second of all school teachers only to complain. That is all I can say about school teachers. that is what experienced this far with school teachers.
After done all the tests- they got nothing to complain as my child had no ADHD or other problems as Dyslexia . Then they start pointing out my divorce that might be the case. So I went on therapy with my daughter for that too. Therapist is the one given the blast. She figure out what is exactly going on the problem was the relationship between my daughter and teacher was not good at all. When ever she had a problem when she went to the teacher she let her solve the problems alone. That affect my daughter that was the issue but what teacher did she blame, report my daughter for everything they could think of. Please take it easy your daughter is still 7. Too young don't stress your self, now I don't be stress at all for what school says. How hard you guys press how bad kid mind will damage. No one is complete as well every one is not the same. I will go through your previous posts later. But for this post I can say from my experience you child is fine.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,956,329 times
My 8yo daughter is similar in that she has trouble with focus and distractibility, but not really with hyperactivity. She did get a diagnosis of "ADHD - Not otherwise specified" from the psychologist testing when she was 7. I have heard that this type of presentation of ADHD is more common in girls compared to they hyperactive type in boys.

For my daughter, the school has implemented some accommodations for her in a 504 plan, which they made in 2nd grade when she was 7. She did not need a whole IEP, just a 504 plan which is much simpler. Things like that she can sit at a separate desk or another quiet space if she is having trouble with distraction, she can sit on a stability ball instead of a chair, she can use a timer to keep track with time management, and the teacher uses a motivational plan to encourage on-task behaviors. Now she is 8 and in 3rd grade and this is really helping.

Since you have already started outside testing/diagnosis, and your school is already implementing an IEP, I think you are already on a good path. The only thing I would offer is that the school may provide speech through the IEP so that you don't have to take her to a private SLP.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM

470 posts, read 998,520 times
thx for your input ADVentive, I have been going through this for awhile now and it seems like there is no light at the end of tunnel

Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM

9,491 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Mine did well with learning how to break tasks down into very small, more manageable chunks and focusing on them one step at a time. (I think this works well for a lot of kids but especially for ADD/ADHD)
It's never 'clean your room' but always 'put your dirty clothes in the hamper-now put away your legos and then put the crayons back in the box- now the dinosaurs need to go in the toy bin', etc. etc
We had an IEP and he needed a lot of help from teachers and parents to break the tasks down in the beginning, but as he got older he got better at doing it on his own.
Also helped to have his desk near the teachers desk and for teacher to occasionally come by and place a hand on his arm or shoulder to get his attention and redirect his focus if needed.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,257,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Not sure if it is ADHD but my child has focus issues - In school (1st grade) she will do work when a teacher/aide is near/beside her but as soon as they walk away she then fiddles around with her eraser, fingers, etc. On individual tasks when the teacher ask her to do something she will just fiddle around with the paper and not complete the task unless the teacher comes by and asks what she is doing. The teacher also reports that my child is sad a lot of the time which really concerns me.

At home, it takes 5 or 6 times from us telling her to do something before she actually does it. She also says to us that she cant remember a lot of things and that her brain just cant remember everything. I sit down and do homework with her and she can do it if I am sitting with her.

We went to a neuropsychologist and did IQ/disorder testing and they said she had a language disorder and that speech therapy is needed and she might have a focus problem.

We have met with the school the past few months and they are starting a IEP for individualized instruction for her. However, what else can I do? we are going to an outside SLP for help after school once a week.

The teacher does say our daughter has a big problem with focus, there is no hyperactivity but just focus and inattention. I have done a bit of research and see ADHD (inattention) is a disorder. What do I do next?

if you research some posts of mine from the last couple of years you will see that we have tried to figure out what is going on with our daughter and we might be closer but really wanted to know what our next steps should be? Any suggestions?
The blue bolded--your daughter sounds just like my daughter when she was 7 years old. Please have your daughter tested for ADHD. Go to a different neurologist and get a 2nd opinion. The neurologist shouldn't be saying she "might" have a focus problem. They're supposed to rule everything out. I made the mistake of thinking my daughter was just being a kid and once teachers started telling me she wasn't focusing, I took her to be tested. First doctor wanted her on meds right away instead of trying to help her with work/study habits. I ended up going to another doctor and we tried different methods, changing eating and sleeping habits and she did very well. As school got harder we noticed her grades were beginning to drop (not failing) so we (parents and doctor) mutually agreed it might be time for meds (she was 9). We started her on the lowest dosage first to see how she'd handle it. She was on the low dosage for about 2 years and we increased slightly 2 years ago because of height/weight growth. Please find a neurologist that doesn't just medicate without monitoring. We get feedback from her teachers using the Connors scale and at every doctor's visit we fill out a form that asks very detailed questions about their personality (I forgot what it's called).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or