U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,181,922 times

Advertisements

I find teens are WAY more expensive than small children. Braces, lessons, clothes, FOOD, saving for college...they make diapers and formula look like chump change.

Medical costs can be a huge expense. I never counted on having a child with special needs, but I did. She has autism, as well as several medical problems. She had surgery last year and our COPAY was $6000. For ONE surgery.

You can never plan for the unexpected. If you have healthy children, there are many ways to cut costs. But one should never have children and expect it to be cheap. Even if they are healthy you will want to provide your child with as many advantages as possible. I would never have kids and bank on raising them "cheap", that seems counterintuitive. So maybe they won't be driving Porches for their 16th birthday, but every parent should want their child to have a good quality of life with lots of opportunities and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM

25,840 posts, read 49,753,618 times
Funny how things have changed...

Mom grew up on a small family dairy farm that had been in the family for generations.

My Grandfather would say the only way the farm was able to survive and remain in the family is because it was worked by the family and that included the children milking the cows, bringing in the hay, feeding, etc...

All of my uncles and aunts learned trades and do quite will... plumbers, carpenters, cabinet maker, electrician, baker, etc... and they are passing the skills to their children...

Very old school I know.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 AM

271 posts, read 328,578 times
um, yes kids are expensive!! when my kids were in daycare i paid $2K a month for three of them, and these were by no means top of the line childcare. it was one grandma taking care of the baby and a public school preschool for the other two. once in school, summer daycare is painfully expensive, about $200-300 a week x 3 kids. some people find it's just cheaper to take the whole summer off is possible. now i'm a SAHM with elementary age kids and between orthodontic work, all the food they're eating, clothing, shoes, 3 br house in good school district, they are still expensive!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,884,418 times
I am not comparing my child to money. Our parents did not do that either with us they always did what they could and we knew that very well so the do our children. My child is my child and not every woman blessed to have children.well that is how I think. What is not expensive in that sens?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:00 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,445,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
IIRC, the average cost to raise a child to the age of 18 went up from $180K to $230K-$250K since about a decade ago. So there shouldn't be any delusions about that. However, it can still throw people in for a loop about just how expensive it can get, as I know some folks end up underestimating certain costs. Those costs above don't account for pre-school nor college.

I know someone who makes 11x their mortgage, saves $$, but he and his wife still need to plan things out meticulously to make sure they can afford all the expenses like dance classes, various programs, and $$ stashed away for college and other expenses prior to then.
Are you sure this is without any college costs?

My mom had my grandmother as a built-in babysitter, i bought my own first (and subsequent) car, paid for my own clothes or got hand me downs (which I LOVED! ), dance lessons were my only extra curriculum, and I didn't eat much.

Seriously, I'd estimate she paid maybe 30k in 18yrs until I enrolled in college and started paying her rent. Then she profited from me.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:02 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,445,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I am not comparing my child to money. Our parents did not do that either with us they always did what they could and we knew that very well so the do our children. My child is my child and not every woman blessed to have children.well that is how I think. What is not expensive in that sens?
And PS- my mother told me *literally every day* how much h she was spending on xyz for me (eg, last month's field trip, my confirmation dress, etc. )

Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,884,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
And PS- my mother told me *literally every day* how much h she was spending on xyz for me (eg, last month's field trip, my confirmation dress, etc. )
No that did not happen with my parents... I don't know why but they dd not repeat the same thing at all. They always said once that is it. No nagging no repeating now also the same. And that is with me too.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 AM

36,435 posts, read 41,667,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Are you sure this is without any college costs?

My mom had my grandmother as a built-in babysitter, i bought my own first (and subsequent) car, paid for my own clothes or got hand me downs (which I LOVED! ), dance lessons were my only extra curriculum, and I didn't eat much.

Seriously, I'd estimate she paid maybe 30k in 18yrs until I enrolled in college and started paying her rent. Then she profited from me.
Do the math. That is about $139 a month or $4.63 a day. Nobody can eat on that amount and you aren't figuring in medical expenses, fuel for heat and car, clothes, school supplies. I think you are being very naive.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 9,401 times
My kid is only 12 months, but we really haven't spent that much money on him. Used clothes, Target brand diapers, breastfeeding. Of course, I am extremely lucky and have a child without additional medical needs. I imagine he'll get more expensive once he gets bigger. Right now, any toys I buy him is more for my sanity than for his entertainment.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:05 AM

598 posts, read 476,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
For those who say they are not that expensive, do they play sports? Go to dance class? That can be a pretty good chunk of money right there.

Do you take them on outings? Where?

Do you have school fees or is everything pretty much covered? Just last night I wrote checks for $30 each for school photos and field trip checks for $15 and $30. Just the bus for the field trip is $9. What am I going to do? Not pay for it? Not let them go? Not everything is optional.
I guess expensive is relative. My little girl is in gymnastics. We paid $30 for an 8 week class at a local rec center. Our sons play basketball through upward sports and that is $80 each for 3 months. I don't mean to trivialize $190 but it just doesn't seem much for what I get. As for school fees, we had to pay $40 at the beginning of the year to cover school trips and school parties for the entire year. Once more, I know $80 is a lot for some but for me, it doesn't sound like much for 2 annual school trips and 4 school parties.

As for stuff to do, preschool age, we went to lots of parks and indoor playscapes at churches. We would buy an annual zoo family pass ($100) and annual children's museum family pass ($100). There lots of great deals on groupon or just timing. I subscribe to a lot of "great deal" websites that alert me when things are crazy cheap like hiptosave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or