Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

It makes sense but I just don't see many parents taking their girls to get either one..at least not while still in high school. And how many teens would still use condoms if they have IUD or implants.

Pediatrics group recommends IUDs, implants as best birth control for teen girls - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 04:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
The same amount that use them now. And let's face it...even with the best of intentionsome they fail often through user error.

And yes...the implant is rather popular with high school girls. It's only been recently that some IUDs can be used by women that have not already had a child...so they aren't as well know on popular.

The benefit of this type of birth control is that it can't be forgotten. ..either in the heat of the moment or by forgetting to take pill daily.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
IUDs can have terrible side effects....the Mirena has hormones. The long term effects of bombarding teen girls' bodies with synthetic hormones, is not known.

Sounds like a crappy idea to me.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
IUDs can have terrible side effects....the Mirena has hormones. The long term effects of bombarding teen girls' bodies with synthetic hormones, is not known.

Sounds like a crappy idea to me.
Not all of them have hormones....and most birth control is hormonal for women. Some people don't do well on them no matter the age...others have no problem at all. Also...let's not like a pregnancy wouldn't cause all sorts of hormone issues nywy...not to mention the baaby.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I guess as someone who is sensitive to hormones, I would have an issue with it. I had a Mirena and it lasted all of 6 weeks...the hormones made me feel like I was going crazy! I would be cautious about putting a teen on these types of hormones. Most are super high in synthetic progesterone which can trigger side effects such as weight gain, not to mention worsening of moods.

I think for teens condoms are best, but I agree that compliance is an issue.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I hated my IUD as a young adult and had it removed a within a few days. they have birth control shots that last 3 years that seem a better idea to me.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I was told that the Mirena releases very small amounts of hormones...it was suggested to me as a treatment for heavy periods because the progesterone pills I had to take otherwise made my diabetes worse.

About teens and IUD or implant, I think it's a great idea. I'll be suggesting it to my daughter in a few years.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
I'm on my second Paragard IUD. I haven't had any issues with them. They are hormone FREE. I've recommended them to several of my girlfriends and none of them experienced any negative side effects...

Last edited by escapenc; 09-29-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I'll wait until after I have kids. I don't want to risk the IUD sticking to my uterus and ending my fertility.

For now, I'll use the LadyComp. It's expensive, but worth it in my opinion. It uses the basal body temperature method.

Red light=not okay to have sex; Green light=okay to have sex; Yellow light=unsure

It's only a yellow light when you forget to take it and in the beginning when you first get the Lady Comp. It has an alarm to wake you up at the same time. And when you're ready to start trying for a baby, you can use the Baby Comp. It'll transfer your data.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'll wait until after I have kids. I don't want to risk the IUD sticking to my uterus and ending my fertility.

For now, I'll use the LadyComp. It's expensive, but worth it in my opinion. It uses the basal body temperature method.

Red light=not okay to have sex; Green light=okay to have sex; Yellow light=unsure

It's only a yellow light when you forget to take it and in the beginning when you first get the Lady Comp. It has an alarm to wake you up at the same time. And when you're ready to start trying for a baby, you can use the Baby Comp. It'll transfer your data.
I wouldn't want to recommend that to a teen though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting