U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:36 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Sheesh, Some mean spirited jabs....why so dam judgemental?? Fwiw, both boys have special needs...so both struggle make friends. And we don't live near each other. I really regret posting.
Not living near each other doesn't require the parents to instigate and arrange get-togethers. By 13, children do that on their own and then ask their parents for rides. Since they are special needs and the boy does come to visit when you initiate contact and make arrangements, I wouldn't say a word. It would be different if the boy wasn't coming to your house at all. Then you'd know you were being shunned. Since he is coming to your house and she is simply not having your son at her house, I'd let it go. She could be going through a very stressful time in her life. Maybe she helped her son send your son emails but she's too busy to be that involved with her son right now. Since she's introverted, the last thing she needs is you asking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:31 AM
gg

16,933 posts, read 17,180,377 times
Let all that go. It is pretty common at 13 for boys to switch friends around. My only advice is to try to keep your kid busy with sports or something. Kids need to be involved in something.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Sheesh, Some mean spirited jabs....why so dam judgemental?? Fwiw, both boys have special needs...so both struggle make friends. And we don't live near each other. I really regret posting.
Try not to take it too personally. People can get a bit nasty on message boards, and honestly this time around most people were just offering an opinion. There were definitely a couple of mean spirited posts, just ignore them.

Even with the boys having special needs, it sounds as if they have grown apart. My son and his friend were this way, both had a hard time making friends. Then suddenly the other friend just stopped calling, my son moved on. It is probably harder on you then it is on your son.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 AM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
What is WWYD?
Well 13 year old can manage the problems on their own.
And you watch a 13 year old all day?
Here in EU after 12 there is no day cares for them either. Most of the kids that age stay home alone till parents get home.
Better let it go. If she is interested keep in touch she will other wise leave it.
1. The OP is talking about some time in the past.

2. The kids both have special needs.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:14 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,868,909 times
[quote=Skatergirl;36698302 Im wondering what could have happened and not sure how to proceed. I think mom may not be upfront with me if i ask and i risk having her feel uncomfortable(she is a bit introverted) and then having her wanting to avoid me totally for fear of more uncomfortable conversation.
[/QUOTE]

The presumption that she will be uncomfortable because you think she's introverted is incorrect. It could simply be that she doesn't like you, or doesn't want to spend time gossiping because she has better things to do, but doesn't want to be impolite by shutting off the conversation. Maybe she is interfering with the boys' relationship because she doesn't like your son. There are many possibilities.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The presumption that she will be uncomfortable because you think she's introverted is incorrect.
Even though the OP is using the word introvert, she's describing an avoidant personality. As a result, the OP is wise to not confront her because she'll withdraw further.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,123,201 times
HE.. Her Son.. HE..... HIM Boy Male ....

Several posters have changed her SON from a HE to a SHE......

Last edited by flyonpa; 10-01-2014 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
HE.. Her Son.. HE..... HIM Boy Male ....

Several posters have changed her SON from a HE to a SHE......
I think you are confusing there are two people in the OP's post. There is the mother of the son who is introverted (she) and the son (HE).

Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 AM

5,337 posts, read 3,952,995 times
I am with most posters who say, let the boy figure it out on his own. I might ask him what was up if anything and then let it go. Most of the friends your kids will have at 13 are from school and as they grow and change classes, so will their friends.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 AM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
The friend's mother also works; perhaps she simply doesn't have a lot of extra time to hang out, and she doesn't know how to tell the OP that. Lots of people do that. Then you run into them somewhere and they say, "I've just been so busy", which is standard-speak for "I don't want to get together". Sometimes it's even true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting