Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. The OP is talking about some time in the past.

2. The kids both have special needs.
Thank you for the reply. Seems she is mad at all of us. Honestly I did not know that was the reason to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
What is WWYD?
I wondered the same thing since there are two recent threads with it. I figured out it means "what would you do?"

Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
You should not say "Good Lord, helicopter parent much? Your son is 13" without knowing her son.

It would be nicer to say "perhaps at 13..." otherwise you are not impressing me or anyone with your lack of tact.

My son is 14 and because he has some special circumstance I still do set up some things for him. He has 3 of the neuroatypical aspects and so he is socially more like a 11 or 12 year old.

I would try and think about why they may have drifted and analyze whether the friendship was real or not to know whether to pursue it. My son had a friend and I set up play date when the kid went to another school but around 10 years old I realized the Mom was a user when he went back to live with her. The boy had been in foster care, also given to some friend of a friend for awhile, weird stuff. So it was better their friendship fell apart.

One good ting to do is to invite them over for a group play date in the yard with other people and just sort of see how that goes. Ask her what she has been up to, maybe it is some lifestyle change (very busy).

Maybe just you and her could go out to lunch and talk. If all attempts to see them fail then you know to move on. It is hard, I hate it. I just keep trying to keep my son's circle of friend big enough and it takes effort. neighborhoods are often not what they used to be with kids going to schools all over the city and cars rule the roads.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
There are these two teenage boys that lived next to each other that were always over at my house when they were around 12. His sister is always over here for a sleep over when the sisters come to stay with us from another town. I asked her brother why they don't hang out any more and he told me it was because he didn't have his phone number anymore. (They live right next to each other you would think he could just knock on his door.) Kids have friends that come and go just like we do as adults. Just at a faster rate. I agree with all the posters that said to let the boys work it out or not. There's nothing worse then being forced to spend time with someone you really don't want to be with. Your son will find other friends.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Sheesh, Some mean spirited jabs....why so dam judgemental?? Fwiw, both boys have special needs...so both struggle make friends. And we don't live near each other. I really regret posting.
There is no single judge mental as you say. All the parents given the answers with the mind of 13 year old young man, who is not willing to see that mama trying to make plans for him. You did not mention that your son is some one with special needs. If so then every one would think in that situation and give you their opinions. If you had ever posted about your son you could link previous post to the recent post. There are lot of posts and it is not possible to remember who said and what. With out giving the right information not only that instead of asking "What Would You Do " WWYD then no surprise you get fnfba for that you get mad at us and calling us "Sheesh, Some mean spirited jabs."?????? why? If you regret posting then don't. And don't forget this is a public forum. If you don't like what people said explain why that is all no need to insult.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wondered the same thing since there are two recent threads with it. I figured out it means "what would you do?"
That is not difficult to write

Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
You do nothing...

Parents need to stop constantly soliving their kids problems. At 13... he should learn to handle this situation himself. Either ask the "friend" what's going on here or just let it be. That's all he needs to do....

Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Sheesh, Some mean spirited jabs....why so dam judgemental??
I agree, some people are just mean here.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I did not read one single "mean spirited jab". All just good honest replies.
I read a few.

The woman is just asking. Some people just can't answer politely even when the OP hasn't been snarky themselves.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
You do nothing...

Parents need to stop constantly soliving their kids problems. At 13... he should learn to handle this situation himself. Either ask the "friend" what's going on here or just let it be. That's all he needs to do....
Did you see that the kids both have special needs? They may take a little longer than the average kid to learn to work this out themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting