U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM

6,888 posts, read 2,566,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well shoot, what a waste of offspring!
Hey there are never any guarantees with the little ones, and some may indeed live happier lives outside of the future gene pool, but it's best as a parent not to let them remove themselves from it irretrievably at such a young age. If a life in the marginal edges of society is truly a child's destiny let him or her earn it stubbornly like a salmon fighting it's way upriver past a waterfall skirted with hungry bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 AM

2,159 posts, read 3,739,233 times
Gee... and we wonder why kids are bullies? *looks around room*

Old 10-03-2014, 01:15 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,387,169 times
I'd turn to drink and cry silently in a darkened room, wondering where I went wrong.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM

759 posts, read 1,037,820 times
It'd be off to military school for my kid if I caught him clopping around to all this "Brony" foolishness.
I mean seriously, I know we live in the age of irony and all that, but this is getting out of hand. You know they have conventions for this stuff now? Tens of thousands of lonely, middle-aged, perpetually single men attend them. You know, the ones who claim that they have a steady girlfriend in Ohio somewhere, so that's why you never see them with out with women...
Get the little confused kid into counseling, ASAP. Otherwise he'll end up as just another ''Crazy Uncle Louie-type", living in your basement and playing with dolls until you die.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:26 PM

16 posts, read 18,761 times
I have two nephews who are Bronies. At first, I immediately assumed this was a world full of perverts and predators. I was wrong. Thankfully, I did some research and found two great documentaries that explain the Brony phenomenon: "Bronies - The Extremely Unexpected Phenomenon" and "A Brony Tale". I highly recommend you watch them, and then perhaps allow your son to watch them.

It was nothing like I expected, and I was shocked to see hundreds of men from our ARMED FORCES who love MLP. There were people of all ages, races and cultures who found a common thread and all felt scared to share it because we, as a society, generally have no problem with our boys and men watching violent crazy cartoons where people kill each other, but god forbid he likes a magical pony!!! He must be gay! He's demented! Get rid of him! Wow, so much for tolerance.

YES, there are all sorts of perverted things that can go along with MLP. There are also very perverted sides of just about any fan culture out there. Here's a brilliant idea: USE YOUR PARENTAL CONTROLS ON YOUR ROUTER. FILTER WHAT YOUR CHILD SEES. TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR CHILD'S ONLINE EXPERIENCE.

I don't mean to be hostile or yell, but it's really terrifying to see how many parents are simply not aware of all the things you can do to screen out the filth out there and let your kids utilize the good online. You won't be able to catch it all, but there is no reason with the right controls in place that he can't explore the Brony world of art, music, fandom and comraderie.

For me it was a great lesson in examining my own prejudice and snap judgments. I was ready to dismiss it all as "weird" until I looked further and saw something pretty cool. Someday, maybe more people will be able to do that.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,481,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
i'd turn to drink and cry silently in a darkened room, wondering where i went wrong.
lol

Old 10-03-2014, 02:20 PM

15,871 posts, read 13,463,604 times
The documentary on Bronies seemed to play up the autistic/Aspergers aspect of the fandom. Just an observation.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:45 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,481,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The documentary on Bronies seemed to play up the autistic/Aspergers aspect of the fandom. Just an observation.
I've also heard that a disproportionate amount of those in the fandom have Asperger's.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 PM

1,309 posts, read 850,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
A NAZI reference? Seriously?

I had heard the term "brony" but never knew what is was, gave it absolutely no thought.

Thank GOD my son (now 19) would have eaten week old roadkill before adopting that stuff.

Neither my wife nor I would have tolerated that anyway.
You wouldn't have tolerated your son watching a cartoon? Wow, parents of the year here

Old 10-03-2014, 03:08 PM

16 posts, read 18,761 times
And how is the Asperger's part of it relevant? If this is a positive way for those on the Autism Spectrum to connect with each other, then why wouldn't people be ok with it? Again, it's quite ironic that most people would have no problem with Aspie boys playing Call of Duty or Modern Warfare that continually desensitizes them to violence, but the ponies are EVIL.

Last time I checked, nobody went postal from watching MLP .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting