U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,392,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
He does look up my little pony online and I think he found it that way. But for the most part he just likes watching the show and looking at funny pictures of it. And that's been going on for a little while since spring maybe. The brony thing is a new comment and I think it does help him not feel as embarrassed that he was the only boy who liked the show. I don't think he is trying to spread the bronyness(?) And I don't know if he is hyped up by the culture of it, but he does know off the kid who was bullied at school and tried committing suicide. And it doesn't really bother me at all that he watches my little pony, there is worse stuff out there to watch. Main reason I started this conversation is because I've seen/heard online about the bullying regarding mlp and wasn't sure what to tell him when he came asking. I will definitely be asking him more questions tonight when we are at home.
OP, the kid who attempted suicide is part of my church. I don't know his family, but I do know his step-grandmother. They started a Facebook page, mainly to keep people informed of his condition and to rumors from spreading. I was following it until it started getting really weird and bizarre. People were getting MLP tattoos and the tattoo parlors were donating to the "foundation". They started asking for donations in almost every single post. I'm sure their medical costs are enormous, and I don't know what I would do in that situation. Their story has gone all over the world, and they had him at BronyCon. People were taking pictures with him like he was a celebrity. He has severe brain damage, so he probably doesn't even know where he is. It just feels weird. I can't help but think his mother is exploiting him. They don't want the police investigating and they don't want the bullies prosecuted. Honestly, IMO, there were no bullies. The kid's older brother teased him about it, but some of his teachers and classmates said they had no idea that he even liked MLP. It's not like he had backpacks, lunch boxes, clothes, etc. He wasn't giving anyone any indication that he was suicidal, and I understand that's not always the case, but I think it would be obvious if my 11 year old was sad or lonely. I can't help but think he might have been playing the choking game. You get more community support and attention if it's attempted suicide as a result of bullying. I know it's just my opinion, but it just feels really icky. (And some of those adult bronies are just weird!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 AM

256 posts, read 260,254 times
Honestly, its not that weird compared to some of the things he could be getting interested in. He probably got interested in it if he was already nerdy, but it seems more the comic-book-type crowd getting into it. I have known bronys (or bronies?) and they aren't THAT weird they just aren't. The show is actually really smart, funny, and targeted more towards adults then kids (at least I can tell from the gifs i've seen). Its not the MLP of the 80s and 90s people, its a culture to these people, its fun, its not much different then comic book culture at all, or D&D, or anything like that.

They don't take themselves seriously, they know it is all in fun, and they know its feminine, and they most importantly know how to LAUGH at themselves. They get that its weird to be a dude who loves MLP, and they embrace their weird. Gotta be better to embrace the weird then deny deny deny!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 PM

23 posts, read 19,239 times
My Ex who was a Brony .
He still loved sports and video games.
It is really how girls have more choices on what can like or do but boys cannot.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,609,797 times
You know, about a year or 2 ago, my son said that he loved My Little Pony. My husband and I thought this was nuts. Then I started watching it with him. It's rather brilliant, especially the first season. And... on more than one occasion, there have been a gaggle of boys in my living room, watching it (black, white, Hispanic, and Asian). Then, we all watched the documentary on Bronys (husband included). And now, there's Equestria Girls.

None of the boys in our neighborhood who watched the show are weird or outcasts. My son is definitely not an outcast and also enjoys "boy" stuff. I have no reason to think he's anything other than heterosexual, but he already knows that his sexual orientation doesn't matter to us. He's a well-rounded kid, and I enjoy spending time with him, even if it includes watching MLP and Jem (yes, Jem, from the 80s).

If my son was embarassed about something, I would tell him that there's no reason to tell anyone, unless he wanted to. His real friends shouldn't care.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,322,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
I think this is a made up thread (trolling) for comments. Yet, I will answer, anyway lol. A 11yr old boy that likes My Little Ponies ( nothing odd, especially if he has younger siblings that enjoy watching the show). I would let him know his interest is his own and if someone ask why he likes the show then tell them. Nothing to be ashamed about. There are 11 yr old girls that like Pokemon and Chima.
Def a double standard here. It's "Ok" for girls to do "male" things, even have mens' names but, NOT the other way.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM

498 posts, read 759,420 times
There's nothing wrong with being a brony no matter what your age, and anyone who thinks there is needs to get a life and stop living in the 1950s. I wear it proudly:

Old 10-07-2014, 10:46 PM

11,692 posts, read 17,096,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
There's nothing wrong with being a brony no matter what your age, and anyone who thinks there is needs to get a life and stop living in the 1950s. I wear it proudly:
You are right! Cute tattoo.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:27 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,324,102 times
Look, to be very clear, I don't want to imply that all, or even remotely most of the people into fandoms like the Furries or MLP are frightening deviants. There is a lot of good in it. Imagination, art, friendship. But I stand by my position that a small percentage ARE, and I believe they use these activities and conventions as a cover to get in close to potential targets. As parents, it's our responsibility to always be vigilant and careful about who our kids associate with. A kid who is or isn't into any of this should not have a computer in a room with a door that can be closed, a private location, where they might be viewing disturbing imagery or chatting with anyone...there is a lot of unsavory stuff on the web, and an innocent intent can lead a kid into some pretty horrifying places. Rule #34, I believe it is...?

It's not a red flag because it's MLP, because it's girly, or because it's not conformist. It's a red flag because it's a window into a big social group of mixed individuals with varying motivations. Most are harmless, but some are not. And frankly, when supporters of these subcultures get defensive about that, I think they (you? they? whatever) are being delusional. In all fairness, I feel the same way about many things like church, scouts, camps...parents need to check it out and make sure everything is on the up and up, and not just ASSUME that it's OK and none of the adults are up to no good. I would not, for instance, be OK with dropping my teenage son off at a Brony convention and leaving him there. I'd go with him if he really wanted to go, or make sure that an adult I know well and trust was there to make sure everything was alright.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM

498 posts, read 759,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Look, to be very clear, I don't want to imply that all, or even remotely most of the people into fandoms like the Furries or MLP are frightening deviants. ...
<snip>
Most are harmless, but some are not. And frankly, when supporters of these subcultures get defensive about that, I think they (you? they? whatever) are being delusional.<snip>
I just want to address these bits. Understand that with a lot of people (especially those who haven't had much exposure to the internet) the first bit is exactly their attitude - that MLP is a show with a much younger target demographic so anyone who's into it is either a child molester or just a disgusting pervert. People tend to be a little touchy about it, as I'm sure you would if you had an innocuous hobby that earned you judgement and mistrust from people you've hardly even met. To give an example: there was a thread I started a month or two ago on this very forum that was on a completely different topic where someone dug into my post history and found a MLP thread, and that started like four pages of nonsense about how I like MLP. I was being pissy in the original post of that thread so I'd rather not link it here, but if you want to see how people can act about it even online where things like this are more acceptable, I'll be happy to show you.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,324,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
I just want to address these bits. Understand that with a lot of people (especially those who haven't had much exposure to the internet) the first bit is exactly their attitude - that MLP is a show with a much younger target demographic so anyone who's into it is either a child molester or just a disgusting pervert. People tend to be a little touchy about it, as I'm sure you would if you had an innocuous hobby that earned you judgement and mistrust from people you've hardly even met. To give an example: there was a thread I started a month or two ago on this very forum that was on a completely different topic where someone dug into my post history and found a MLP thread, and that started like four pages of nonsense about how I like MLP. I was being pissy in the original post of that thread so I'd rather not link it here, but if you want to see how people can act about it even online where things like this are more acceptable, I'll be happy to show you.
I know, and I see some of that even here, if to a lesser degree than what I've seen in some places.

It's also why I want to make my position very clear.

I'm not a conformist myself, and I'm part of a very active social group of very close friends who are into what I'm into. If there's a word for what I am, it's "bohab" although that's an affectionate insult made up by the figures central to the thing. But anyways, I'm not judging the whole thing, I'd be the last to do so, just saying that parents gotta be careful.

I also think that when you have young people who are used to being "different" and they form social ties with others who are into a thing they are into, it's this "insider" sense of belonging, and it can create enough of a sense of security that if there was one predatory presence hiding in the crowd, they will be vulnerable and more trusting...I think that's part of why certain people do get into this sort of thing. They have easy marks, just like priests or teachers who are trusted and use the situation to take advantage. They are probably always in the minority of adults in any group, but they are any parent's worst fear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting