U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 06:49 PM

1,001 posts, read 823,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I didn't say you were lucky. I didn't say your life is charmed. I said you have been sprinkled with magic dust. People who have been sprinkled with magic dust are usually born on second base but think they hit a double. They're the people who have NO concept of poverty and how it affects people. They're the ones who don't stop to think about the families who lost their income during the Great Recession while they tell those families they should be putting their kids through college. They're the people who, though childless, like to tell parents what they should be doing. The problem is.... magic dust get in the eyes and interferes with seeing things properly.

Your "real world experience" has yet to begin. (It will start when you find out your boss had a child at 19 and is..... your boss. That could happen on the same day you write a REALLY large check (or hand over your VISA card) to the plumber who unclogged your toilet. Even though he didn't attend college. So, free advice: buckle up.)
I've already met the higher ups. All have pictures of little kids at their desks (and on their facebook, which i may or may not have stalked...anyway). Unless they are hiding their firstborn or something, no, they didn't have kids at 19. Even at my near min wage help desk job at school, the higher ups waited to have kids.

Spiegel, Jobs, Dell, Ellison all dropped out of college. I have a great idea, let me drop out of college. I'll become a multi million or billionaire. Such flawed logic.

Sure, there's maybe one or two higher ups who may have had a kid as a teenager. They aren't the norm. Some people born below the poverty line will do so much better than I can ever dream. Great, I accept that. Are you trying to tell me that's the new norm?

Generally teens who have babies tend to be screw ups their entire lives. That's reality.

By not helping your kid through college, you're just hurting them. It's a proven fact that people with college degrees earn more. The reality is the more money you have (til a certain point), the less stressful your life will be.

Paying the plumber will be an unexpected cost, but if you have enough saved up [because your college degree got you a nice job and you aren't saddled with debt so you have build up some savings], it's not going to affect your day to day standard of living.

Call me a naive idealist, but it's a parent's responsibility to make your kids life as great as possible. Going to college is the new reality and a necessity to middle class life. College costs a lot. It's not exactly possible to pay for it yourself like it was back in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. Not everyone is smart enough to receive scholarships. What's your answer? allowing your kid to put him/herself in a ton of debt ? telling your kid to give up college [and the most realistic ticket to a middle class life]?

I think the answer is people need to think about this before having kids. Some burden needs to fall on the parents. We aren't an agrarian society, you don't need to have so many kids. When you bring someone into this world, it's your responsibility to give them an shot at a decent life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,807,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The stats are old friend and so are you get a job
I good electrician can out earn your master degree Starbucks employee any day
And my electrician has no debt
If you are minority and hoping for that Eddie Murphy rags to riches eeoc slot think again that pond is drying up too
Too many people in the community think if they can dribble they are going to be the next Magic Johnson
Long shot rubbish
You have some serious issues.

You really need to learn grammar for starters.

The stats are from 2013. One (not you, as you likely have no understanding of statistics) could argue that, as the stats include more than just those who are young today, they are skewed by older generations for whom college was more of a ticket to success (in your mind).

Not true - here is some information about unemployment rates solely for the 25-34 year old age group based on educational attainment:

nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=56

And I am NOT:

1) unemployed
2) a Master's degree holder working at Starbucks
3) a minimum or low wage worker at all
4) college-aged or still in college
5) a minority hoping for "rags to riches" (you don't know what the EEOC does, by the way)

A young person getting a professional job today is not "long shot rubbish" but, yes, it is long shot rubbish when they don't get an education. Trades are a great option for some but hint: they CAN'T be an option for all. There is only so much of that work to go around. Do you want a country full of uneducated people with no professionals? How will we ever compete on a global scale? Who will help you when you get cancer or need a divorce?

By the way, as I've said, OP needs to grow up. She is a naive young person with very simplistic views of the world - but, then again, so are you (probably other than the "young" part).

I also have zero sympathy for laziness and am pretty damn conservative if you see my posts on the Politics forum. But I despise the anti-education attitude that has become so pervasive in our society. It's, frankly, very dangerous.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-07-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
a master's degree is the abilility to fly, these days. a bachelor's degee is just chick-feathers. When you have a kid, you are supposed to RAISE them, all the way, properly,and without coerciing other people (via taxes) to carry half of YOUR burden.
So, just out of curiosity, what are you doing to make sure every American adult has a job that pays enough to raise a child in the home to age 18 and still sock away enough cash to save for college. I guess you're supporting a minimum wage of ... what? ... $50 an hour? Or do you think certain income groups should be sterilized before they start doing things that would lead to offspring?

Old 10-07-2014, 07:55 PM

35 posts, read 28,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Such as?
Even though I believe it is a scam, that does not affect my ability to gain the degree I am seeking. I am simply stating that the way colleges are run are a scam to the students.
Many of the classes that students are required to take are classes that have absolutely nothing to do with their degree. If a student is seeking a MBA in Business, then why is that student required to waste part of their financial aid they receive on a Religion class? Why do we have to waste money on a $200 class called college success skills that tell us everything we already know about "how to take notes" and "the dangers of drinking in college?" In addition, students who choose to take a class or all their classes online (which requires more discipline that attending), are charged the same amount as a class on campus and still have to pay a parking fee???
What's really sickening is that most students pay roughly $600-$1000 on books for ONE SEMESTER and can't even use them for the next semester because the publisher has supposedly made a new addition. When I go to sell my books at the end of semester they are worth less than $20 a piece. Talk about depreciation.
My first semester at a new community college I was required to take a placement test. If you fail any section of math for example, you have to take a remedial math course up to four semesters depending on how many sections you failed. Did I mention that many of these "sections" are taught on the computer by a program that is not exactly helpful in regards to learning and still costs just as much as a standard math class, except you do not receive any credit towards your degree for completion of these courses. The deadlines for you to successfully master certain sections are ridiculous. They sometimes cram almost a whole years worth of information into just a few weeks. Many students have to repeat these courses and pay an additional $120 just to log into the online program.
Overall, college is becoming affordable, period. Unless your parents or grandparents are helping you out financially, you have to almost completely rely on financial aid or some kind of scholarship just to get ahead in life. In addition, students get penalized for working to pay for their college and make ends meat. If they make over poverty, which is roughly 14 grand, they DO NOT get full FASFA. Oh yeah, and that 14 grand is accounted for GROSS INCOME!
It's sad because EVERYTHING has become about money! Even learning and succeeding has an almost unobtainable price.
So you know what? I can't completely blame many parents for not helping their children out. Many do what they can. But most realistically can barely afford their mortgage, car note, insurance, food, etc. The ones that can, are taken care of and have nothing to worry about. It's a repeating system of rich keeping it in the family.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM

644 posts, read 576,325 times
First let me say I am blissfully child-free but sure if it is within their means I would hope a parent(s) or even extended family would help with job training, college, co-sign to help start a biz, etc. whatever helps a person become self sufficient.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 PM

10,154 posts, read 9,389,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I've already met the higher ups. All have pictures of little kids at their desks (and on their facebook, which i may or may not have stalked...anyway). Unless they are hiding their firstborn or something, no, they didn't have kids at 19. Even at my near min wage help desk job at school, the higher ups waited to have kids.

Spiegel, Jobs, Dell, Ellison all dropped out of college. I have a great idea, let me drop out of college. I'll become a multi million or billionaire. Such flawed logic.

Sure, there's maybe one or two higher ups who may have had a kid as a teenager. They aren't the norm. Some people born below the poverty line will do so much better than I can ever dream. Great, I accept that. Are you trying to tell me that's the new norm?

Generally teens who have babies tend to be screw ups their entire lives. That's reality.

By not helping your kid through college, you're just hurting them. It's a proven fact that people with college degrees earn more. The reality is the more money you have (til a certain point), the less stressful your life will be.

Paying the plumber will be an unexpected cost, but if you have enough saved up [because your college degree got you a nice job and you aren't saddled with debt so you have build up some savings], it's not going to affect your day to day standard of living.

Call me a naive idealist, but it's a parent's responsibility to make your kids life as great as possible. Going to college is the new reality and a necessity to middle class life. College costs a lot. It's not exactly possible to pay for it yourself like it was back in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. Not everyone is smart enough to receive scholarships. What's your answer? allowing your kid to put him/herself in a ton of debt ? telling your kid to give up college [and the most realistic ticket to a middle class life]?

I think the answer is people need to think about this before having kids. Some burden needs to fall on the parents. We aren't an agrarian society, you don't need to have so many kids. When you bring someone into this world, it's your responsibility to give them an shot at a decent life.
Your opinions, regardless of validity, might be a tad less revolting if you didn't come across as an arrogant, pompous, egotistical child who feels that it's her birthright to have a good life. Seriously, is this what we parents get for trying to do right by our children? A generation of entitled kids who think that by doing well in school that will compensate for having a crappy all around attitude? Who think that parents must save at least 50,000 towards college expenses or they're not qualified to be parents? who think that they should have the best life and the best of everything. WTH.

Being a good, responsible parent is more than throwing money at your child. A whole lot more. Far too many people think that by giving Fauntleroy and Emily the world they are being good parents, when it's more than just that. There are people in less affluent families that are happy, nurturing homes. You don't know or understand the parent's burden, so please, stop preaching as if you do know. I think many of us have as many children as we think we can afford/handle and just because we all can't set up large little nest eggs like your parents did doesn't make any of us unqualified.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:00 PM

35 posts, read 28,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But I despise the anti-education attitude that has become so pervasive in our society. It's, frankly, very dangerous.

I couldn't agree more. Although college NEEDS to become more affordable. Tuition needs to stop going up, and poverty levels should possibly be raised or adjusted IF you are a full-time student.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:03 PM

41,280 posts, read 32,977,860 times
I for one think we all need to stop using the word "kid" - we are, after all, talking about young adults here, not children.

Adults need to learn to be self sufficient. That doesn't mean we don't help them, but it does mean we don't enable them. It means we help them understand the difference between earning something and feeling entitled to something.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:05 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,675,722 times
I dont plan to help any of my children through college. I dont even know if they want to go, need to go or if i could help them when the time comes.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 PM

12,943 posts, read 19,890,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Your opinions, regardless of validity, might be a tad less revolting if you didn't come across as an arrogant, pompous, egotistical child who feels that it's her birthright to have a good life. Seriously, is this what we parents get for trying to do right by our children? A generation of entitled kids who think that by doing well in school that will compensate for having a crappy all around attitude? Who think that parents must save at least 50,000 towards college expenses or they're not qualified to be parents? who think that they should have the best life and the best of everything. WTH.

Being a good, responsible parent is more than throwing money at your child. A whole lot more. Far too many people think that by giving Fauntleroy and Emily the world they are being good parents, when it's more than just that. There are people in less affluent families that are happy, nurturing homes. You don't know or understand the parent's burden, so please, stop preaching as if you do know. I think many of us have as many children as we think we can afford/handle and just because we all can't set up large little nest eggs like your parents did doesn't make any of us unqualified.
I agree. Fortunately, I don't think it's anywhere close to a generation of entitled kids. There are many, and the OP is a prime example.

We paid for our kids' college because we were able to. If they had graduated with a similar mindset, and without appreciation for their good fortune, I would feel the money was wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or