U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 PM

577 posts, read 867,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
You have no idea how I tip. I stick to the 20% standard unless I get great service. I only have gotten delivery once and tipped $3 per pizza ($15 total) which imo was generous because they were half an hour late. I'm pretty sure that's standard as well.

Also, what do you have against people whose parents help them with a down payment? Renting is a waste of money if you plan to live somewhere long term. You're paying nearly the same monthly, but this time you actually own the place you are paying monthly for.
The idea that renting is a waste of money is a gross oversimplification. The rent vs buy comparison, should compare the cost of monthly rent vs the monthly cost to buy including taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc. It is highly dependent on the area and isn't always "nearly the same monthly". You also need to consider the opportunity cost of the down payment. Especially when you first graduate, it is the time in your life where you are most likely to move, and most likely to make significant life changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM

3,025 posts, read 3,559,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why would you care what other people do?
People buying things they couldn't truly afford to obtain some sense of self importance, status, and wealth and then just hope they can afford it after the fact has surely done a lot of great things for this country.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
People buying things they couldn't truly afford to obtain some sense of self importance, status, and wealth and then just hope they can afford it after the fact has surely done a lot of great things for this country.
^ It's true.

I was one of those people in about 2005 that considered buying a home and was told by some agency what they thought I could afford, or in other words, what I "qualified for." Fortunately I was in touch with the realities of my budget enough to call shenanigans on that. I could not afford what they proposed to loan me.

We waited and rented. By the by, the best renting experiences I had were with private owners, if anyone reading this is ever in that boat and looking to rent, drive around the desired area and look for signs, try to find a person instead of a property manager if you can. But I digress.

We waited until my husband was about to get out of the military and then we used his VA loan to buy a home in the area where we have put down roots. VA loans are THE AWESOME. No downpayment was required, it was cheaper than renting, low rate, great terms. Couldn't have asked for a better mortgage. I would much rather wait until we were ready for the obligation than wind up mortgaged to a bad home, or with a bad loan, or defaulting, or having to rent out a property because we had to move and knowing that the renters might do anything to it...(I would NOT want to own a rental, even if someone thinks that such people "laugh all the way to the bank.")

But there is also still a part of me that wishes that I were more unfettered...had less physical stuff and less tying me to one spot and more freedom to go more places and see more things and spend time with more people. Some days I wish I lived out of a nice RV... I actually knew a small family that did that, and home schooled their son on the road. They were really happy and had lots of stories to tell. I think that's kind of cool actually, no matter what a financial advisor would have to say about it.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM

779 posts, read 486,246 times
Quote:
I have no problems with home ownership; my issue is with people who need their parents' money to own a home!

Why? Odds are that they could wait and it is possible that they were prepared to wait but their parents wanted to gift them the money instead. No one put a gun to the parents' head. Sometimes parents still like to give their kids things and odds are that, if the kid is as giving as the parent, then they are giving doing nice things for that parent as well. It is possible, that this trend of giving continues into old age and the kids assist their parents as they get older.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:56 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
Quote:
People helping their kids buy houses is just that. You can't tell if they can afford it, or are trying to obtain some sense of self importance, status or wealth. You added all that nonsense. You are just looking to have a problem with people who do things differently than you do.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM

14,034 posts, read 9,781,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No one thinks a person is crazy for taking out a loan for a car, which will last 10 years if you're lucky. But for an education, which you will have forever, some think borrowing money is wrong. I don't get it.
I totally agree with you on this. However...... There is a limit to the amount that is reasonable.

One thing I heard was a year's average salary in the profession you are most likely to have is reasonable. That sounds about right to me. Someone planning to be teacher shouldn't get $100,000 in student loans.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 10-17-2014, 09:44 AM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
People helping their kids buy houses is just that. You can't tell if they can afford it, or are trying to obtain some sense of self importance, status or wealth. You added all that nonsense. You are just looking to have a problem with people who do things differently than you do.
Agreed. And as a friend of mine once said, "Why should they have to wait till we're dead to get some of our money"? If a parent or parents want to help an adult son or daughter out, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I totally agree with you on this. However...... There is a limit to the amount that is reasonable.

One thing I heard was a year's average salary in the profession you are most likely to have is reasonable. That sounds about right to me. Someone planning to be teacher shouldn't get $100,000 in student loans.
That sounds reasonable. My daughter did borrow about two years' (beginning) salary for grad school. It was a lot, but she's doing OK.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:54 AM

2,910 posts, read 2,861,708 times
My daughter already told me she does not want to go to college. I told her if she doesn't want to go, just make sure you know what you want to do with your life. This is what I am going to teach her. Offer her guide and allow her to do what make her happy. I personally never find college useful. No one ask me for my college degree during interview. Not even my first job after I graduated from college.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
My daughter already told me she does not want to go to college. I told her if she doesn't want to go, just make sure you know what you want to do with your life. This is what I am going to teach her. Offer her guide and allow her to do what make her happy. I personally never find college useful. No one ask me for my college degree during interview. Not even my first job after I graduated from college.
Times have changed....you can't even get an interview these days without a college degree for any job above retail cashier. Your daughter has a rough road to hoe if she's giving up her education.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:49 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ironically, one of the reasons I have debt to pay is because I wanted my own daughter to get her degree. I took out loans to help her pay for it. Not sorry...but it's going to take a while to pay back.
Is she helping you pay the loans back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or