U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:34 PM

11,409 posts, read 6,449,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In other words, you're about 33% more likely to finish in 6 years if you start earlier. That's a huge gap.
Not really. Like I said, it's fairly easy to complete a degree nowadays with almost everything being offered online. It just depends on much one wants it. Most young people in college only have school to think about whereas older adults may have reasons that make them decide to stop going (kids, job opportunities that don't require college, etc). That doesn't means it's next to impossible for an older student to complete a degree. My cousin worked retail with two children while going to school part time at night for about 8 years. She wanted to become a teacher and she did it. Was it harder than just going to school straight out of high school? Yeah, but she didn't make any excuses. She also got her masters while working as a teacher and now makes pretty decent money.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 11-17-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 PM

15,304 posts, read 16,858,284 times
People on this thread might want to watch this documentary about college today.

Things You'll Learn About Colleges From Watching The 'Ivory Tower' Documentary

It will be on CNN on Thursday night, 11/20 at 9 PM

Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM

143 posts, read 89,169 times
I've got a cousin whose parents did not pay for his college education. He didn't get into a college that his parents approved of so he had to pay his own way in college, tuition and all. He took out student loans and by the time he graduated he was in lots of debt, but he didn't give up and he came though and did just fine.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM

2,724 posts, read 7,193,118 times
I didn't get a hand-out from my parents no willing to give one unless they prove themselves. However, my plan it to provide any funding for a car, food and housing expenses. If they're doing well after the first 2 years then I will pay their tuition.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 PM

4,347 posts, read 2,616,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
GW. Didn't know he had an MBA while he was in office and I still thought he was an idiot. Terrible public speaker. Didn't stop him from becoming president for 2 terms. He did provide endless entertainment for the late night comedians.
AFAIK, he still provides such entertainment. Not to mention there were at least a couple of TV shows making fun of him. Off the top head... Lil' Bush, and That's My Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or