Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You are so right
50 years ago parents did not pay for college crazy huh?
Well, my father's parents did 50 years ago. It was the norm in upper middle class families even then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Grow up son learn a traditional blue collar trade buy a ticket to Dubai or Saudi arabia and make some money
Stop dreaming and scheming and start living
I've seen you post about trades being a far superior option to a college education many times before. Going into the trades is a great option for some, but education and employment and income are very strongly correlated.

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
When I started college in 1980, minimum wage was $3.10/hr. and was raised to $3.35/hr in 1981. I went to a Texas public university and in-state tuition was never more than $400/semester. A college student could work 15 hours/week and make $400 in about 8 weeks to pay for a semester of school.

Now, minimum wage is $7.25 per hour (roughly doubled) and average tuition at a Texas two-year college is $1,111 per semester and at a 4-year college, $4,261. A college student working 15/hours per week would now have to work about 39 weeks to pay for a semester (of approximately 13 weeks) at a 4-year university .

That's not even talking about living expenses, but I know that rents have more than doubled since the early 80's.

I understand the value that comes from working hard for something and believe that children should work and pay for some of their education. But wages have NOT kept up with the cost of education. To the extent I can help my daughter go to college and not come out many thousands of dollars in debt, I'm going to.

I don't agree with the OP's premise that you shouldn't have kids unless you can pay for all of their college expenses, but it's IMO it's not fair to say "I did it so they can do it" when the financial reality has changed so much.
This is basically my feeling as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:49 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
a college degree in business is as good as a high school diploma. any less and good luck.
???

computer science (and economics, but I rarely talk about that).

Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Congratulations. Your life has been sprinkled with magic dust. That happens when the stars align and Jupiter is in retrograde.... or something. A lot of people are born outside the magic dust circle. Yes. They exist. There are millions of them and how you've graduated from college without knowing any is a mystery to me but whatever.... you aren't the first 20-something who is stepping into life sprinkled with magic dust who thinks she/he knows all the answers and you won't be the last.

Here's what's important: What you DO with that life.
no. i studied the right thing, kept up a decent GPA, and did whatever I could to get real world experience. I made sure to impress my interviewer (I was told I was one of the few who actually prepared for the interview, you know research the company, research a bit into your interviewers, write thank you notes, etc). I put in more hours at my internship than anyone else working with me.

You know, instead of getting pregnant like the 20 (19?) year old screw up at the bottom of the thread page, I actually put my efforts into more productive things. It's insulting to say my life is charmed because I'm lucky. Yes, I managed to live a pretty charmed life, but it's not all luck.

Sure, I've gotten lucky, but that's only a part of it.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-06-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Oh yeah and thanks a lot according to your philosophy OP, I shouldn't have been allowed to be born. My parents did nothing for me monetarily and worse. But I educated myself after working a year in a dead end job. Had a great career and family.

I think I have every right to have been born, poor or not thank you very much.

I hope by now you have changed your attitude a bit.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Really? Do you have any clue how much college costs are related to average salaries these days? If everyone had your opinion, not many babies would be born.
I don't view that as a terrible thing. That's exactly what I'm advocating. Why are middle class or lower middle class people having more than one child? We aren't an agrarian society anymore. You don't need to reproduce to get more cheap labor. Children are expensive now a days. You're suppose to care for your kids, not screw them over because you wanted something cute.

also, people need to chill with the "be fruitful and multiply" verse. The bible is against premarital sex. Where's the outrage against that? No where, instead I see anti abortion or anti gay rights parades.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I don't view that as a terrible thing. That's exactly what I'm advocating. Why are middle class or lower middle class people having more than one child? We aren't an agrarian society anymore. You don't need to reproduce to get more cheap labor. Children are expensive now a days. You're suppose to care for your kids, not screw them over because you wanted something cute.

also, people need to chill with the "be fruitful and multiply" verse. The bible is against premarital sex. Where's the outrage against that? No where, instead I see anti abortion or anti gay rights parades.
Grow up. Life isn't black and white.

And you're getting way off topic in your last "paragraph."

Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A bit off the original topic; wouldn't you say?
yes, but I hear that line anytime I bring up the idea that maybe people shouldn't be having a plethora of kids that they can't afford. It really irks me that people decide which biblical verses matters and which don't.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
The law that says someone who hits 18 is an adult is just legally. If you child needs help and you're willing and able to do so without any consequences, then why not? You've been clothing, feeding, and sheltering them all this time up to 18.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

Just be quiet. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting