Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:39 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
just be quiet. Please.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Just be quiet. Please.
You might as well post: "I lost this debate."

Sheesh, if you don't like someone's semi-reasonable opinion, nobody is forcing you to read and respond.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:11 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You might as well post: "I lost this debate."

Sheesh, if you don't like someone's semi-reasonable opinion, nobody is forcing you to read and respond.
I guess I'd consider winning or losing if it was an actual debate. The amount of keystrokes I wanted to expend was exactly that. In addition, I can post whatever I want, however I want. If you found my response unbecoming, no one is forcing you to read and respond either.

Last edited by riaelise; 10-07-2014 at 12:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 12:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I moved out at 17 and paid for my own college tuition. In San Francisco. Graduated last year.

It was brutal, and my grades suffered a bit. I was also so strongly in survival mode that I forced myself to major in Accounting because it seemed safe, despite the fact that I absolutely hated it and didn't get grades high enough to qualify working for a Big 4 firm. Added a major in Economics to give myself a chance at something I enjoyed.

Being a double major while working 2 jobs totalling 60 hours combined just to pay rent with my 4 roommates in a tiny studio....wasn't great for my health. I slept maybe 3-4 hours a night for 4 years. Blacked out from exhaustion a few times. Thought I was having a heart attack once because I drank 3 Monster drinks just to stay awake and that wasn't a good idea lol.

After graduating, I gravitated to an entirely different field, and basically had to start from scratch like I didn't even have a degree at all. Lol.

That said, all of this was so worth getting away from my parents and actually being independent.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:26 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
yes, but I hear that line anytime I bring up the idea that maybe people shouldn't be having a plethora of kids that they can't afford. It really irks me that people decide which biblical verses matters and which don't.

Just like you do?

I have news for you, no matter how much "real world" experience you think you might have because you "prepared" for an interview, you have less than squat real world experience.

I guess if you believe that you have "it" then I guess it must be true, hopefully nothing tragic happens to mom and dad and you find out how drastically life turns in less than a moment.
What are you going to do when there are 1/2 million dollars worth of medical bills and your bank of mom and dad closes because they have to get that paid instead of losing their home and your college money is gone in a matter of minutes?
Will you think that they should not have had a child because they are reckless idiots who did not plan well and can't afford to coddle you anymore?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I moved out at 17 and paid for my own college tuition. In San Francisco. Graduated last year.

It was brutal, and my grades suffered a bit. I was also so strongly in survival mode that I forced myself to major in Accounting because it seemed safe, despite the fact that I absolutely hated it and didn't get grades high enough to qualify working for a Big 4 firm. Added a major in Economics to give myself a chance at something I enjoyed.

Being a double major while working 2 jobs totalling 60 hours combined just to pay rent with my 4 roommates in a tiny studio....wasn't great for my health. I slept maybe 3-4 hours a night for 4 years. Blacked out from exhaustion a few times. Thought I was having a heart attack once because I drank 3 Monster drinks just to stay awake and that wasn't a good idea lol.

After graduating, I gravitated to an entirely different field, and basically had to start from scratch like I didn't even have a degree at all. Lol.

That said, all of this was so worth getting away from my parents and actually being independent.
We need ore young people like you. Well done! I bet you learned a LOT along the way.....lessons far more valuable than you ever would have learned living at home under the protection of your parents.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So is saying people who can't afford to pay for college shouldn't have children.
It's not really naive to say that, just self righteousness. But to be completely fair it is the ideal isn't it? That children are launched with an education that gives them the best chance to succeed? We can get all aghast at the OP if we want to, but it is no more a ridiculous notion than saying "parents should be married first" or "over 25" or any of the other ideals people have stated should happen if people choose to have children. But ideals are not reality and doesn't always work out that way.

I think the naïveté of the OP isn't that she thinks parents should help their children with college, I think her naïveté is thinking that there is any ideal that must be met before becoming a parent.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
We need ore young people like you. Well done! I bet you learned a LOT along the way.....lessons far more valuable than you ever would have learned living at home under the protection of your parents.
More people like you? I agree that what that person went through was admirable that he/she survived, but it sound as if you think this is an acceptable way for hardworking, students with ability to attend college. It is not. No one should have to go through sacrificing their health, wellbeing, etc. to get an education.

And what exactly did this person learn from this experience that they wouldn't have learned working part time and spending those other 40 hours on their education?

This is the problem with this topic it comes down to insane extremes, like this person working dangerously long hours and others portraying all college students as drunken party animals if they get any assistance at all.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

I am sorry that you had to do all of that. College should be affordable for everyone. That being said it is beyond admirable that you did all of that and survived to tell the tale so to speak.

I wonder though if that is something you plan for your own children to go through as well when they are of college age?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I don't view that as a terrible thing. That's exactly what I'm advocating. Why are middle class or lower middle class people having more than one child? We aren't an agrarian society anymore. You don't need to reproduce to get more cheap labor. Children are expensive now a days. You're suppose to care for your kids, not screw them over because you wanted something cute.

also, people need to chill with the "be fruitful and multiply" verse. The bible is against premarital sex. Where's the outrage against that? No where, instead I see anti abortion or anti gay rights parades.
It is certainly not a bad idea to have children only if you can afford them but as this thread illustrates, afford is a relative term. Also, what your advocating, is birth control on an individual scale of those who are socially minded and leads to an almost "tragedy of the commons" sort of scenario, where we are almost breeding that trait out of our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting