Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times

Advertisements

I'm from the UK and kids here do not typically grow up expecting their parents to pay for their university tuition. We get loans and pay them back ourselves. I don't see why any parent should be obliged (either legally or just by 'society') to do this. It is an enormous expense and I could never bring myself to even ask my parents for that after they'd already spent 18 years paying for me. They're supposed to be done by that point, not financially crippled again for who knows how long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
In Japan, parents almost always pay for their child's post-secondary education, whether it's college or vo-tech, or the kids get a loan. Stories about kids getting jobs to pay for college are shocking to most Japanese moms I know. They believe a job would distract kids from their studies.

I don't know, but I assume it's probably the same in Korea and China. I know two Chinese moms, and they plan to pay for their children's education. I don't know any Korean moms, but I went to college with a bunch of Koreans (and Japanese) and they all had their tuition paid for by their parents.

Last edited by tlarnla; 10-09-2014 at 03:24 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 03:23 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Incidentally, I would like to know if there is any actual research out there supporting the idea that children do better in life if they get a job to put themselves through school than if their education is paid for. It seems everybody has a belief that one is better than the other, but what does the research say?

Which kids are more likely to graduate? Which kids get better grades? Which kids get higher paying jobs?

I believe that helping kids go to college/trade school can help them have a better future. But if somebody knows of some research showing that making them work through school is better, I'm willing to read it. Does anybody know the facts, or is this all just personal theories?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 AM

23 posts, read 27,908 times
My parents didnt help me. I joined the Army. Problem Solved.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Yes, it's parental failure to pay for graduate school. How dare my parents try to make my life better when they have the means to. They should be making me struggle. It builds so much character being in thousands of dollars worth of debt and struggling to pay bills throughout your life.

This thread has made me really appreciate my parents more. They obviously care more for my success than most of you care for your children's success. It's very sad to me that this isn't a norm, but it is what it is.
Are you an only child?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Wow, after reading through this, I just hope the OP's parents are investing wisely. Success doesn't depend merely on money or degrees - ultimately it usually depends on a person's character.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nente View Post
Oh. I live on the other side of the planet and obviously I don't know much about life in the US, but the whole thread shocked me... interesting, yeah, informative, but still.

I was going (and started to) to write a long post about education, parents' help etc. in my country, but some of it would probably come across as indignant and you wouldn't be interested anyway, sorry.
Interesting. My daughter says Chinese students are shocked that some American parents don't pay for their kids' educations. We just had that conversation not long ago.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
OP how old are you? Your story changed mid-thread, are you studying now or planning to?

Quote:
Saying retirement is more important is putting yourself first.
Umm, yes, being able to pay for food and a roof over your head is quite important.

Quote:
Maybe I live in a different world than you, but I would like to associate with doctors. I find them immensely successful people.

To be honest, I think this is a class difference. I'm very sorry to have bought this topic up in this forum. This obviously isn't the place for it.
Hmmm, how do you know the SES of posters here? How does "class" factor into fiscal responsibility?

Salary projections are great, but since you haven't even started studying it's very hard to predict career demand or salary 5 or 10 years in the future.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
So, you think it is fine to keep blowing through your parent's funds- that they worked hard to earn- and then your future employer's?
So now it's wrong to have an employer to pay for your education? This has to be the first time I've heard that.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I'm from the UK and kids here do not typically grow up expecting their parents to pay for their university tuition. We get loans and pay them back ourselves. I don't see why any parent should be obliged (either legally or just by 'society') to do this. It is an enormous expense and I could never bring myself to even ask my parents for that after they'd already spent 18 years paying for me. They're supposed to be done by that point, not financially crippled again for who knows how long.
here's something you may be interested in:

Here's What College Education Costs Students Around The World - Business Insider

college in the UK is pretty affordable. 5k/year on average as opposed to 13k/year average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting