Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times

Advertisements

I am still paying off my student loans and while I was in college, I worked to pay my rent between being a second grade teacher's assistant and a pizza delivery girl. I went to school with a lot of students like the OP who were tipping me (very poorly) with their parents' money. I was also able to intern in the summer thanks to a paid internship. I am not going to say that these people were less successful than I was, but rather that I always knew how to handle myself. I had a job offer from one of the first investment banks to fail by November of my senior year. I then had my job offer rescinded that April, past oncampus recruitment periods. It was 2008 and times were rough. I started out working as a file clerk for a property management company and used that to get into a spot as an operations analyst for the same company. I think it was my attitude that no one is above any job and everyone is important that helped me to succeed and I feel like the attitude that many of my peers who had their parents pay for college would not have enabled them to succeed. They would have been lost and not know what to do, but I kept on the same that I had always known. Work to survive and hopefully, get ahead. I can't tell you how many of those who had their parents pay for their college also had their parents pay a good portion of their first home, because renting wasn't good enough.... We work to achieve the lifestyle our parents had over the course of decades!

My fiancé's education is being paid due to his military service. Over three years of his life was spent in Iraq/Afghanistan. I've got to say.... he paid for it and is treating this opportunity like, "If I don't do well at this, I have to re-join the Army.... I don't want to rejoin the Army, so here goes..."

I don't think giving your children a college education makes someone a good parent. A good parent gives their children the skills to enter the "real world" with and I felt better set up for those challenges by not having my parents pay for my ticket for this ride. The one thing I feel absolutely grateful to my parents for was raising me correctly and setting me up to where I didn't have to enter the workforce at 18 to help pay for family expenses that they couldn't afford themselves. They set me up to have the ability to go to college... for that, I am grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I am still paying off my student loans and while I was in college, I worked to pay my rent between being a second grade teacher's assistant and a pizza delivery girl. I went to school with a lot of students like the OP who were tipping me (very poorly) with their parents' money.
You have no idea how I tip. I stick to the 20% standard unless I get great service. I only have gotten delivery once and tipped $3 per pizza ($15 total) which imo was generous because they were half an hour late. I'm pretty sure that's standard as well.

Also, what do you have against people whose parents help them with a down payment? Renting is a waste of money if you plan to live somewhere long term. You're paying nearly the same monthly, but this time you actually own the place you are paying monthly for.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-14-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I resent you calling me stingy when you have no idea how I tip. I stick to the 20% standard unless I get great service. I only have gotten delivery once and tipped $3 per pizza ($15 total) which imo was generous because they were half an hour late. I'm pretty sure that's standard as well. Why do you deserve more than the standard?
LOL! I have never once delivered you a pizza in my entire life, nor do I think I deserved more than the standard. On many of my deliveries, I would get the change that was "left over" which could equal to seventy cents at times. It is nice to hear that you are self-proclaimed "generous." I said they were folks like you who didn't have to work their way through college, because their parents were footing the bill not that they WERE you.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Also, what do you have against people whose parents help them with a down payment? Renting is a waste of money if you plan to live somewhere long term. You're paying nearly the same monthly, but this time you actually own the place you are paying monthly for.
I find it pathetic when people think they "deserve" something they didn't "earn" and have no qualms taking it from others when they are clearly of the age where they should be independent.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:11 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
You have no idea how I tip. I stick to the 20% standard unless I get great service. I only have gotten delivery once and tipped $3 per pizza ($15 total) which imo was generous because they were half an hour late. I'm pretty sure that's standard as well.

Yeah but when something goes wrong with the house, you're the one who has to deal with it, not some landlord or maintenance guy.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Yeah but when something goes wrong with the house, you're the one who has to deal with it, not some landlord or maintenance guy.
And sometimes, you cannot foresee what life brings, either. I have a friend who had just bought a home with her husband in my area and within six months had the opportunity to move to California that they just couldn't turn down due to the amount of doors it would open up for her husband within his company. I think it is still on the rental market.

There are pros and cons to both lifestyles, but if you cannot afford a down payment on your home when required then you usually are not quite ready for home ownership, either. Homes can be money pits and often the folks who view renting as a waste are usually the ones who won't be ready for the expenses that homes can bring. (That central air goes out? Bye, bye, 4K! Leaks in your roof....Bye, bye up to 8-12K!)

My brother bought his first home at 20 after he had started his own business at 19 before he completed his bachelor's in management. He completed his bachelor's just to complete it, not that he is doing anything different a decade later at 30. The people who can usually afford home ownership don't need to bug their parents for money to do so. He bought a relatively new home and still had to fix his roof about two years later after a hurricane hit.

I am getting married in June. My parents' contribution to that - $0 though they keep bugging me to let them pay for something as a gift. I'd rather not accept that and have them use that money to do something they want to do even if they keep telling me that is what they want to do! They deserve to keep it, as I can afford everything I need for my wedding!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I waited a long time before I was comfortable with the idea of home ownership. A big part of that is covered in something stellastar said about staying in one place for a while...I had no certainty of that. We were military and that means moving around every few years.

But even after we decided to stay here and he got out of the Army, I wasn't sure at first...I hate the idea that you could buy a home and wind up with terrible neighbors or something that is hard or impossible to change and then you can't just move at the end of a lease. Being tied to a house and knowing that the value isn't a guarantee...people used to assume that a home was an investment and the value would always go up, but I think the last six years should have been a wake up call. Like any investment, returns are not certain. And you never know when your locality will suffer some natural disaster, or a company will start a fracking operation a few miles away or a highway will be built nearby, a new Walmart or something, things can happen that you've got little control over that will mess with the value of your home. A friend of mine had a small earthquake nearby cause the foundation to crack and now he can't sell his house at all, in fact is having a hard time even keeping it insured. If you're a renter, none of that is your problem, and you can always just up and move wherever you want at the end of your lease. That freedom is kind of nice.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:24 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If you're a renter, none of that is your problem, and you can always just up and move wherever you want at the end of your lease. That freedom is kind of nice.
Indeed, but while you have your freedom, the home owner is laughing all the way to the bank.

It's certainly true that no one knows what the future will bring. If you know for sure that you'll be leaving town in a year or two, it makes no sense to buy. But for every person who does buy a house and has to sell sooner than he thought, there's one who ends up staying a lot longer than he planned on.

We bought our house thinking we'd stay no more than 5 years. 17 years later, we're still here. Over that length of time, there have been ups and downs in the real estate market but overall, it's gone up. A lot. Makes me wish we'd bought a rental property back then too, because while our mortgage is $1200/mo, we could easily rent out our house for $2500.

As long as you can comfortably afford it, buying a house is still one of the smartest long-term financial decisions a person can make.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Indeed, but while you have your freedom, the home owner is laughing all the way to the bank.

It's certainly true that no one knows what the future will bring. If you know for sure that you'll be leaving town in a year or two, it makes no sense to buy. But for every person who does buy a house and has to sell sooner than he thought, there's one who ends up staying a lot longer than he planned on.

We bought our house thinking we'd stay no more than 5 years. 17 years later, we're still here. Over that length of time, there have been ups and downs in the real estate market but overall, it's gone up. A lot. Makes me wish we'd bought a rental property back then too, because while our mortgage is $1200/mo, we could easily rent out our house for $2500.

As long as you can comfortably afford it, buying a house is still one of the smartest long-term financial decisions a person can make.
I have no problems with home ownership; my issue is with people who need their parents' money to own a home!

Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I have no problems with home ownership; my issue is with people who need their parents' money to own a home!
Why would you care what other people do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting