U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,029,286 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You guys are acting like it is some social high ground, etc, but what I am hearing is s lot of cowardice.
Not cowardice, common sense. It's illegal.

"Your child has the same right to privacy as an adult does. No one can photograph or film your child in a location where he believes he's alone, even if he's alone with his friends. For example, if he's in a sandbox at a public park, a photographer can take his picture. If he's in a sandbox in your fenced-in backyard, the photographer would be violating your child's right to privacy, as well as your own."

Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 PM

235 posts, read 226,841 times
You just moved in and you're already snitching on the neighbor's kid?

Ignore it. What teenager hasn't smoked weed a time or two? Unless he's breaking into your house for drug money, I see no need to get involved.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:02 AM

130 posts, read 98,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That's you. But he has no way of knowing what type of people the neighbors are. For all he knows, they give the kid joints. "Now remember, Tommy; you can't smoke it until you finish your homework!"

That's why I would opt for #4 -- "Mind my own business"

That said... if I discovered someone was giving or selling MJ to my kid, I'd take immediate and direct action. But someone else's kid? Nope.

Well if they don't care, the parents could be free to ignore it then?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not cowardice, common sense. It's illegal.

"Your child has the same right to privacy as an adult does. No one can photograph or film your child in a location where he believes he's alone, even if he's alone with his friends. For example, if he's in a sandbox at a public park, a photographer can take his picture. If he's in a sandbox in your fenced-in backyard, the photographer would be violating your child's right to privacy, as well as your own."

You can't really be alone with friends.

That's like the people who think you can take a group selfie.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:06 AM

Just call his parents when he's doing it and tell them to look out the window.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,349,436 times
1 out of 6 Americans admit they use cannabis. UNICEF poll showed average of 11, 13, & 15 year olds that admitted they use it in USA I think was 24%, & 28% in Canada. Cannabis has been used since Genesis by over 1 billion people without a single death proven death as a direct result. It does not cause brain damage or anything serious. Some studies show it increases the number of healthy brain cells in kids, but I haven't heard of any exploded heads so far! Some kids know much more than most parents about this. We don't know if the kid has a medical problem, another thing not to ask, IMO.

Some parents give their kids cannabis as a reward for good grades. I heard of a family with all but one of the kids smoking with their parents & grandparents. Heard of a wild party with 2 four year olds using it. They did not require any medical attention. The kids pick the healthier choice vs older people using govt approved poisons as they think obeying bad laws is more important than if they live a long time.

The only potential problem I see is police could do something. I've heard of $100 fines for adults in NY, but wonder about greater potential problems with law, like if CPS thought use approved by parents is a good reason to take the kid & auction him off to foster parents. Some parents let themselves allow access by leaving bag where kid can help himself & if law questioned parents they could claim they didn't give it to them. Putting 40+ million harmless Americans in jail or treatment for use $2 trillion wasted. 96% in recent internet polls want cannabis legal for all adults & kids with conditions.

So yes, don't tell. Many kids that young put themselves on You Tube smoking cannabis. Don't know how many get police visits. Cannabis was in pharmacies for 80-90 years, at least in some form. Vaporizing cannabis oil from a oil "pen" is the healthiest way to use, but smoking has some benefits. Anyone concerned check norml.org/ for maximum penalties, & what possible medical laws allow. I do feel somewhat sorry for those who can't keep up with all the changes & try to accept them.

I believe in kids having non-fatal fun, but it could be necessary to hide from unpredictable police. I read about 4 kids made cannabis deals in 4th grade classroom. 3 3rd graders were using it in school lavatory. I hope this provides many things to consider. Pill makers pay millions to pols to keep it illegal & police union lobbyists pay governors. Not banned for alleged dangers. I'll vote for Libertarian Party as they favor legalization like majority. Sports causes more bodily harm than cannabis. Best wishes, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Wow - are any of you people actually parents? If it were my kid I'd absolutely want the neighbor to tell me.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times
If your child is so open about it he's smoking joints right outside the house you should already know about it. They either already know or they're in denial. Telling won't help.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:13 AM

292 posts, read 252,891 times
Wait two weeks and then send the parents an anonymous note. The kid won't know when he was spotted, meaning you won't get pegged for it and make enemies. The parents will be tipped off that their kid is doing it giving them the opportunity to keep their kid from getting busted and having legal problems. The issue will be squarely in their hands where it belongs and you won't have to have any regrets about having done the right thing.

I'm all for the legalization of pot but considering the current laws I think helping this family avoid troubles would be the considerate thing to do.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Option #3. Without evidence (that could very well be a joint made of tea and not weed, don't ask how I came up with that suggestion) and without a relationship with the neighbors next door, a lot more can go wrong than right by getting involved. Also Mattie had a good point about the legality and problems of videotaping a minor. Would you want your minor child being videotaped at all by a stranger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or