U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,099,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Is that a regional thing?
Parents here drop off their child.
Parents do not stay; other siblings do not stay.
In K-1st most parents stay. They don't know the other parents well yet and their children are still young. Starting in first some parents drop off, but it's not the majority.

It may be a regional thing, but I've lived in various cities in the US and Canada and that has always been the case for children younger than six or seven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 4,833,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsuburbs View Post
Yes I was thinking of having it outside in a gym for kids or a meuseum . I have never invited the whole class so far. I am not even sure if this is the norm
In our school handbook, we have suggestions for this type of thing:

Invite the whole grade (we have small grades - no more than 30 kids in each level)
Invite the whole homeroom
Invite just boys or just girls
Invite just a couple of friends

We do ask that if the whole grade or homeroom is not invited, to mail the invites directly to the child's home instead of distributing them at school which could cause hurt feelings.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM

875 posts, read 643,986 times
I like whole class parties for the 4-7 year old crowd. We were new in town, didn't know anybody, when my oldest daughter was in kindergarten. We went to all the class parties she was invited to, and it was an excellent way to get to know both the kids and their parents, too.

Sooner or later, your child will make friends with the kids in the class, and want to set up a playdate or maybe a sleepover, and you'll panic if you've never even met the other parents before. Make a point to get out there and start meeting people - volunteer at school, go to the school events. It's good to get a feel for the type of people your child is around 30+ hours a week.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:49 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
In K-1st most parents stay. They don't know the other parents well yet and their children are still young. Starting in first some parents drop off, but it's not the majority.
And here, if you do not know the parents, your kids don't go to their party.
The parties tend to be small affairs for the few kids they really KNOW.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,500,688 times
We've invited the "whole class" for our twins' last 3 birthday parties. TWINS means there are TWO classes Plus some of their friends from our neighborhood who don't go to their school. The last couple parties we had around 50 children for a pool party plus food. We've decided that this won't be how it's done moving forward. Just too much work and stress, and then they get 50 gifts...

After their party this year, I said it would have been cheaper, easier and less stressful to have flown to Disneyland with just the two of them lol!

But it seems common here that in preschool/kindergarten/1st grade kids invite the entire class. And I'm rather sick of schlepping them to other birthday parties almost every weekend.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:58 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,099,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We've invited the "whole class" for our twins' last 3 birthday parties. TWINS means there are TWO classes Plus some of their friends from our neighborhood who don't go to their school. The last couple parties we had around 50 children for a pool party plus food. We've decided that this won't be how it's done moving forward. Just too much work and stress, and then they get 50 gifts...

After their party this year, I said it would have been cheaper, easier and less stressful to have flown to Disneyland with just the two of them lol!

But it seems common here that in preschool/kindergarten/1st grade kids invite the entire class. And I'm rather sick of schlepping them to other birthday parties almost every weekend.
It slows down and then your child only has a few parties to attend a year. Some kids don't get invited to any parties. That's so sad.

I think it's crazy for you to do two whole classes. I would just do a same gender party, just to reduce the number of kids. Bless you!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM

598 posts, read 475,608 times
Where we live, kids in kinder and 1st grade generally invite the entire class if they are planning to have a party. My son is in 2nd grade now is it's still fresh in my mind. My 2nd son is in kindergarten and he's already attended 3 bday parties.

I say go for it. It will be good for your kids to have an icebreaker.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,254,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

We found as my daughter got older, it was no longer "full class" invites. Preschool up to maybe 3rd grade were pretty much the only times the entire classes were invited. Our classes have 19-22 kids. Sorry, that's just way too many for me lol...we've done "girls only". As she got older we stopped because even going to Chuck E. Cheese wasn't so cheap since we provided food and beverages for the parents.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsuburbs View Post
So my child just moved to a new area and new school, since she does not have any friends that she will pick to celebrate her birthday with , is it a good idea to invite the whole class?
We did that most years......one year we invited the entire grade (small school only two classes in the grade).

If you can plan it....go for it. We always had great fun when we did.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,565,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We never did the whole class.

My rule of thumb was one friend for every year.
So a 5th birthday party would have six kids... the birthday child and 5 friends. That kept things VERY manageable, whether IN the house or off-site.

I really see no reason to invite kids she don't know and/or kids she may not even like. Nothing wrong with a small affair this year, with maybe family and a few new neighbors.
This is how we did it and never regretted it. I cannot imagine inflicting 20+ kids on a 5 year old. That is not a good environment for making new friends because she wont't get any individual time with anyone.

for that age: I would have her invite one friend on a very special outing. Save the big party for next year.

In fact, I know a lot of families who have a friend party in alternating years, and family only parties or just one friend in the other years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or