U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:21 PM

810 posts, read 1,273,490 times

Advertisements

Around here if you distribute the invitations in the school, you have to invite the whole class. Classes are around 18 kids and not all of them go. Parents usually don't stay, only 2 or 3 do. I agree that it's a great way to get to know other parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:09 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,300,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think that will be a nice party . I think if you invite the whole class you will have trouble handling all those kids unless some parents come as well and from prior exp that will not be very many parents .
Have you heard of "drop & dump"? Parents drop their child, take off w/o even saying hello, & show up to pickup later. Ugly but I've seen rants about such rude behavior. Be sure you know what you're getting into with "the whole class" coming.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 PM

598 posts, read 476,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This is how we did it and never regretted it. I cannot imagine inflicting 20+ kids on a 5 year old. That is not a good environment for making new friends because she wont't get any individual time with anyone.

for that age: I would have her invite one friend on a very special outing. Save the big party for next year.

In fact, I know a lot of families who have a friend party in alternating years, and family only parties or just one friend in the other years.

But the OP's daughter is new to the school and knows no one well enough to invite for a 1-1. When 20 kids are invited not all attend - at least, that has been my experience (which includes over 20 parties these past 2 years ).

Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,106,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Have you heard of "drop & dump"? Parents drop their child, take off w/o even saying hello, & show up to pickup later. Ugly but I've seen rants about such rude behavior. Be sure you know what you're getting into with "the whole class" coming.
You can put on the invite asking parents to stay, or discuss this when they RSVP. I've never had this be an issue and I've been to hundreds of birthday parties for children as a parent and a teacher.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my daughter was telling me that my granddaughters teacher said that if the invites were handed out at school they had to invite the whole class because they are concerned about some kids feelings getting hurt for not being invited ...really ? the nerve of these school administrators telling ppl how they should do things
Sorry, I agree with the school on ths one. Unless you're giving an invitation to everyone, then you need to be mailing invitations to the child's home. It's just too darn cruel to the ones who aren't invited -- especially when it's just one or two kids who don't make the cut.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,780,988 times
Quote:
Well . . . frankly, as the host of numerous birthday parties, I always found it difficult when a lot of parents stayed, because I felt like I had to entertain them AND run the kids' entertainment. There was always 2 or 3 frends who helped out, but otherwise, I'd rather NOT have 20 parents running around chasing after their kid! I don't consider it rude not to stay, but if someone wants to stay, they are welcome. Keep the parties relatively short -- no more than 90 minutes, for a 5 year old.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 PM

161 posts, read 165,833 times
I would do the whole class party. It will be a good way for you to get to know the kids and their parents, and for your daughter to feel like she has a whole bunch of friends. I really like whole class parties--there's not many years before the genders separate themselves and even the parents have their own cliques. Right now you are in a great position (new to the area and in kindergarten) to get to know as many kids and families as possible.

I also agree with the posters who suggested choosing a location other than your home. For large whole class parties I've always found places that take care of everything for you are well worth the money! Besides, once you buy all the supplies and entertainment for an at home party, the cost isn't usually that different.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday, whatever you choose!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,248,673 times
Quote:
On the bright side, you'll quickly discover which parents are not worth getting to know.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,106,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
On the bright side, you'll quickly discover which parents are not worth getting to know.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

I had one parent I met that was so rude and uncouth, I didn't arrange anymore play dates. ( she was a closet racist and obnoxious) I'm not dealing with that mess, when my kid has lots of other friends to play with.

Why not have the outing at a park/ playground. Bring coffee in a thermos, muffins, and snacks/drinks for the kids. You can have a treasure hunt or an obstacle course. Then you let the kids play. After that cake and presents. Easy! About 90 minutes is perfect. just have one candle as the wind can affect its being lit. The kids could come in ahalloween costume and you do an Easter egg style hunt for wrapped candies. The gift for each kid is actually a plastic pail or pumpkin.
I've been to so many parties, I've got a million ideas.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 AM

155 posts, read 212,222 times
Great ideas and thank you all for the experienced opinions. I will take y'lls opinion and invite the whole class maybe do it in a place like My gym where they handle everything.

Meyerland- I love your park and treasure hunt idea. Its surely going to be her next birthday when we get settled here more. Many thanks !

I really appreciate each and everyone of you taking the time and responding. So so helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or