Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,336,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Yes do it. Three years ago I am also new to this area where I live now. I invited my daughter's whole bunch of girls to party. we went to the film puss in boots together with 10 girls and had happy meal lunch from MacDonald, That gave big courage to have friends. I did only the whole set of girls. I also send the treat to whole class too. Till now she has many friends.
This. I taught kinder and first for many years. Please invite everyone, so she can develop friendships and get into the party loop. ( at least the girls) There is nothing sadder than the kid who doesn't get invited to ANY parties. No matter how wonderful your child is, it can happen.

Not everyone will show up. If she has been having any kind of social issues, see if the teacher will come. I've done that before and it made a huge impact in the child's popularity.

When the kids are on second grade parties become smaller. You want to build those close bonds with other families before you get there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
One of our girl's 1st grade classmates invited the entire class (about 20 people) to a simple party held in the playground across from the school. They said "no gifts, please" and supplied juice and pizza. The party consisted of kids playing on the swings and stuff. This is my ideal for what a party should be about.

Now she's in 4th grade, and I'm trying to put a stop to the gift thing, which I hate. We're going to rent a cheap hall, get a friend to play some fiddle music, get another friend to call some square dances, and she can invite her whole class, plus her Sunday school class, plus whoever else she wants. 40-50 kids would be great! We'll get a bunch of pizzas and juice, not a big expense, and of course no gifts. Maybe we'll go to the dollar store and get some bags of baubles to give out as party favors, or maybe not.

A party should be about people, not about things.
This is a great party idea to have it at the park. It doesn't have to be super fancy.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,827,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, yeah. They DO have the right to say how things are done in their school.

Don't want the whole class?
Don't hand out invitations in school....
simple really.
. It's easy to find the school unreasonable, until you're the parent or the teacher of the kids in tears because they know they aren't invited.

We usually did invite the class in the very early years, but that was only 16 kids, and chances were some wouldn't be able to make it. But, I mailed the invites to make sure they actually reached the parents.

OP, do you have contact information for the class?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:45 PM

155 posts, read 265,994 times
I so agree on this . Its either going to be whole class or no one from the class at this point where she has not formed particular friendships. I see a lot of you have recommended girls only invites . Her class has about 20 kids , i figure few wont come .

I do have contact information ( email) for the class. Part of me says just do the cupcakes to the class at snack time and have small affair with family and close outside school friends to keep it simple. The mom in me thinks inviting the class will give her that boost in making friendships faster and a sense of belonging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
. It's easy to find the school unreasonable, until you're the parent or the teacher of the kids in tears because they know they aren't invited.

We usually did invite the class in the very early years, but that was only 16 kids, and chances were some wouldn't be able to make it. But, I mailed the invites to make sure they actually reached the parents.

OP, do you have contact information for the class?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:53 PM

4,289 posts, read 3,988,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This. I taught kinder and first for many years. Please invite everyone, so she can develop friendships and get into the party loop. ( at least the girls) There is nothing sadder than the kid who doesn't get invited to ANY parties. No matter how wonderful your child is, it can happen.

Not everyone will show up. If she has been having any kind of social issues, see if the teacher will come. I've done that before and it made a huge impact in the child's popularity.

When the kids are on second grade parties become smaller. You want to build those close bonds with other families before you get there.
What you said is true. The first party we given helped my daughter socially also emotionally, and she was not invited by all but she did not care about that either, because she got friends play appointments some times pan cake evenings, some times I do things with her friends with no special expectations from other parents. And of course not that all parents can afford doing the same.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
IME it is pretty common to invite the whole class at that age. In a few years, it tapers down to close friends. If you are new, and don't know where people live, or don't know the parents, you can hand the invitations out at school, only if everyone is invited. Or don't have a party at all. I think either is fine.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM

4,289 posts, read 3,988,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsuburbs View Post
I so agree on this . Its either going to be whole class or no one from the class at this point where she has not formed particular friendships. I see a lot of you have recommended girls only invites . Her class has about 20 kids , i figure few wont come .

I do have contact information ( email) for the class. Part of me says just do the cupcakes to the class at snack time and have small affair with family and close outside school friends to keep it simple. The mom in me thinks inviting the class will give her that boost in making friendships faster and a sense of belonging.
That is for sure. I experience that. you can invite boys that is not a issue. But when I was a kid till my 16th birthday my parents did not invite boys to birthday parties so may be that is in me too. But I agree with what you said it gives a boost to your daughter as well other kids. I have posted invitation to their home. And we had the party on sturdy by Monday no one remember.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM

I really want you to get her in the birthday loop. It does make a big difference. Lots of tears from the few kids who don't get invites. (They have to be mailed or emailed in my school, but the kids all know about the parties.) just as you are thinking of what a pain it is to have lots of kids at parties, so do other parents.

Often parents say...you can invite 6 kids. Which ones are the most important? They tend to invite kids who invited their own child to a party. Parents socialize at these parties and it can lead to some great friendships.

It's perfectly fine to have a girls only party. Make it a princess, Barbie, spa, or glamour theme. Lots of girls like a rock star theme. That way the boys don't feel left out.

If it's soon, you could do a Halloween theme. That's so much fun and cheap.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:04 PM

22,264 posts, read 47,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Parents socialize at these parties and it can lead to some great friendships.
Is that a regional thing?
Parents here drop off their child.
Parents do not stay; other siblings do not stay.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM

155 posts, read 265,994 times
I am in Houston and at the age my daughter is (5) , parents always stay and are welcomed to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Is that a regional thing?
Parents here drop off their child.
Parents do not stay; other siblings do not stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting