U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 PM

598 posts, read 475,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I agree, OPK is a societal blight, just because *You* decided to have kids, doesn't mean we should be forced to listen to them or raise them.

I have the exact opposite reaction as you when I see parents dealing with children who are misbehaving. The only thing these parents get is my sympathy. I know it might hard for you to believe, but most parents take their kids out with them because they have to (time or schedule limitations). Obviously not all but I would say most. Would I prefer to go shopping, to church, to the docs etc. myself? Heck yeah but that's not realistic.

And I could say the same thing to you, if you don't want to accept kids can be unruly in public, then don't go out in public to a place where there might be kids - sounds silly and unrealistic huh?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:35 PM

532 posts, read 693,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
It is all in the parenting. Most kids know what they can get away with when out in public and will try to push the limit. If your child is hungry, or needs a nap, tend to your child's needs before leaving the house. When I'm in a restaurant, I always make a point of complimenting parents of well behaved children.
So true. As a child I HATED milk, but I knew the rule when we went out to eat for breakfast (or at home) was one glass of milk, then I could have juice or hot chocolate. One morning we went out for breakfast and I was reminded of this in the car. I was about 5 or 6 at the time.

I must have thought what my parents said didn't matter (why I would think that I have no idea), and started to whine while discussing breakfast options. My mother very calmly and quietly reminded me that I was having a glass of milk and if I pitched a fit, I would be removed and would spend the rest of the meal in the car. Well.....I pitched a fit and all of these years later (I am now 53) I clearly recall being dragged out of the restaurant and I indeed sat in the car while my parents ate their breakfast in peace and quiet (as well as any other guests there).

They were able to see my easily and I them, and I NEVER even thought about doing that again!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:47 PM

8,856 posts, read 10,315,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Oh that's right. I will never look at them the way I used too, lol.
I know, right? LOL. My daughter loves baguettes so I try to not take the first one I see. It's not just the kids touching them either! Eek!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,302,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
So true. As a child I HATED milk, but I knew the rule when we went out to eat for breakfast (or at home) was one glass of milk, then I could have juice or hot chocolate. One morning we went out for breakfast and I was reminded of this in the car. I was about 5 or 6 at the time.

I must have thought what my parents said didn't matter (why I would think that I have no idea), and started to whine while discussing breakfast options. My mother very calmly and quietly reminded me that I was having a glass of milk and if I pitched a fit, I would be removed and would spend the rest of the meal in the car. Well.....I pitched a fit and all of these years later (I am now 53) I clearly recall being dragged out of the restaurant and I indeed sat in the car while my parents ate their breakfast in peace and quiet (as well as any other guests there).

They were able to see my easily and I them, and I NEVER even thought about doing that again!
LOL, now let's combine this with the thread about not ever leaving your kid in the car for even a split of a second Believe me there were times I would've loved to send my kid off to the car while we ate dinner in peace

Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 PM

532 posts, read 693,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
LOL, now let's combine this with the thread about not ever leaving your kid in the car for even a split of a second Believe me there were times I would've loved to send my kid off to the car while we ate dinner in peace
I know how it sounds, but it was not hot or cold out, my parents and I were always in view of the other and it was 45+ years ago. My mom has said she would not be comfortable in this day and age doing this.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Really? Do you really think dragging a sick or tired kid to the store is convenient for the parent? Do you really think that mom is happy to be getting her shopping done with a cranky kid whining at her? Or do you think maybe the kid is sick and she needs to buy medicine but there isn't anyone at home to watch the kid? Or maybe she was at work all day and couldn't get to the store? I'm willing to bet that mom would rather be doing anything other than what she's doing, but she doesn't really have a choice. Leave work early? Does your boss let you leave early to run errands? Gawd, talk about a lack of compassion.
Well gawd, yes I see a lot of parents who are on their way home from school, daycare, whatever, with cranky kid in tow. Rather than taking said child home first and coming back later it's sooo much easier to take them along on errands on the way home.
Like I said I work in retail, parents will say as much to me. "I'm sorry, I know baby is fussy but we just had to stop and pick up dinner, lunch for tomorrow, items for school project, yadayada"
I don't know, maybe they think they are only going to be in the store for a minute, but it rarely ever happens that way. My compassion is more for that cranky kid whose parent isn't willing to take him home and attend to his needs first and then return to finish errands later.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 AM

5,532 posts, read 5,715,613 times
These parents don't know what parenting is. The wild and misbehaving kids are what they are because nobody told them otherwise. I see the results later when they go to school. The lack of education, respect and minimal discipline is evident at every step.
Yesterday, I was sitting at a cafe. Next table, 2 young mothers, one with a baby in a stroller and 2 children about 3-4 year old. The mothers were so engaged in chatting, that didn't notice their children screaming and running wild between tables.
At one point a waitress carring a tray with hot coffee cups tripped over a child and the coffee spilled over the floor causing a serious mess. Luckily nobody was hurt. The 2 women turned their heads, checked the children and smiled to the waitress: "Are you OK?" A second later they were back chatting as nothing had happened. They didn't offer to clean up nor took thectime to discipline their children.
I am truely concerned about the future of our society. I see such kids when older at school. They have a rough time adapting and functioning in society.

Last edited by oberon_1; 10-13-2014 at 12:41 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 AM

11,430 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Really? Do you really think dragging a sick or tired kid to the store is convenient for the parent? Do you really think that mom is happy to be getting her shopping done with a cranky kid whining at her? Or do you think maybe the kid is sick and she needs to buy medicine but there isn't anyone at home to watch the kid? Or maybe she was at work all day and couldn't get to the store? I'm willing to bet that mom would rather be doing anything other than what she's doing, but she doesn't really have a choice. Leave work early? Does your boss let you leave early to run errands? Gawd, talk about a lack of compassion.
Gotta tell you -- I've seen the kids who obviously don't feel well or are tired and cranky and that's one thing. But I've also seen kids going about their day screaming at the top of their lungs destroying packaging and just being horrid.

I feel for the kids that are sick. Been there, and wish it was appropriate for me to be cranky. the kids that are simply horrid need a firm talking to, with consequences for their actions.

I do not believe in smacking children around. You don't need to manhandle a child to get their your across. The only time it's appropriate to manhandle your kid is if they are in danger and you need to grab them and hold tight.

But for the most part -- the kids I've seen are pretty good with teachable moments of awful -- which sounds normal to me.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 AM

15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I agree, OPK is a societal blight, just because *You* decided to have kids, doesn't mean we should be forced to listen to them or raise them.
Children ARE part of society. As are all manner of annoying and irksome people, including people that target entire groups based on a subset.

Want to see how bigoted your response is? Pick any other group of people and switch in their name for children.

Black people, gay people, mentally handicapped people, Irish people, short people, whatever.

Children ARE people.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 AM

62 posts, read 68,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Well i guess I better go get some parenting classes then. I need to learn from both of you how to never disturb anyone in public and how to have perfect kids.

Either that or i need the address to my parental jail so i lock myself and my kids up until you feel we are ready to behave.
Let me clarify what we are saying - You should be more sensitive to your child's special condition and protect HER from experiencing terror and torture to her nervous system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or