U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:30 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,303 times

Advertisements

I am not for letting kids get away with anything and everything, but I am for treating children as human beings with basic human rights and the same respect due to any human. I'm not going to hit my child when I would not hit an adult, either. Believe it or not, children do learn how to be respectful and mannered without being beaten, frightened and shamed into submission.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:12 PM

17 posts, read 15,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
I think maybe you need to define what "acting up" means to you.
exactly. Maybe in her eyes, the kid has to burn down the house before they are in trouble. in that case, I can see how she doesn't recognize misbehaving toddlers in public.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:20 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I find it disgusting that our society is so intolerant of children. Children are at a different developmental level than adults, but they are human beings who should be valued simply for that reason. Children may not yet understand the difference between an inside voice and outside voice. They may have less control over their physical bodies. They may not have mastered empathy and so aren't always thinking about how others are impacted by their behavior. I do think there are places where it is inappropriate to bring children too young to not be a disruption...the symphony or a show not intended for young children or certain restaurants. However, I in no way think they should be hidden from society until they are adults.

This thread reminds me of a painting I saw in a museum once. It was these little children in the victorian era, dressed like little adults. They were expected to act like adults at that time. The looks on their faces was so sad. I've seen that look on modern children with heavy handed parents who also think they should be "seen and not heard."

These are the exact same reasons parents of unruly children use as to why their children are unruly.
It is never the parents fault that they have yet to teach their children to behave, use manners and find their indoor voice when they are indoors.

The original poster is not saying to hide the children, they are saying to control your children, do not just sit there and tell them to hush. Teach them to mind you as a parent and teach them to sit quietly in the Doctor's waiting room. Teach them not to disrupt others, teach them manners, teach them how to become responsible adults that others will look up to and gravitate toward because they are not unruly run amoks with no idea how to control their bodies, voices or emotions.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:34 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedman View Post
exactly. Maybe in her eyes, the kid has to burn down the house before they are in trouble. in that case, I can see how she doesn't recognize misbehaving toddlers in public.
Yes because obviously we only have children seen and not heard, or wild, unruly hooligans.

"She" is quite capable of recognizing misbehaving toddlers.

Again, what do you regard as "acting up"?

Old 10-11-2014, 07:39 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,843,280 times
No I can sympathize with the OP. Have not run into it as often but when I do it is very unpleasant. Some parents are so arrogant and feel themselves above the rest of us that they think the rest of us should just shut up and tolerate their brats. The parents should be spanked for this.....

Old 10-11-2014, 07:46 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,946,432 times
My kid behaves like an angel, and has never misbehaved once. He does play rough sometimes, and attract attention. He kicks people to express annoyance, and often screams at the top of his lungs in a quiet restaurant, more from excitement than dismay. And he wastes a lot of food by serving himself a lot of something, taking one bite, and deciding he doesn't like it, then doing the same with something else. And he's so excited at a buffet that he always runs with his plate, even though he often falls with it and makes a big mess. He also likes to flip people off, just to see their reaction. But he's never actually misbehaved, so I don't have any reason to disclipine him.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
Well darn now I have to send my children back to the milk man...

I cant wait until some of you have children and they misbehave in public! Youll know what it feels like to be that parent with that kid and all eyes are on you. IT DOESNT FEEL GOOD.

Sometimes its not about your child is in need of parenting, sometimes the child is having a very rough time. My 6yr old has sensory issues so if you and I were at a park and they had fireworks, shed be the one screaming her head off despite how many times i cuddle and say " shh, its ok" while you give me the stink eye, expect me to leave or expect me to never leave my house until shes better.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM

17 posts, read 15,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

"She" is quite capable of recognizing misbehaving toddlers.
Apparently not as you've been on this earth for 50 years and have only occassionally seen misbehaving toddlers. I'd love to see this location where all the babies and toddlers are 100% perfectly behaved lol!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:56 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,790,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedman View Post
Apparently not as you've been on this earth for 50 years and have only occassionally seen misbehaving toddlers. I'd love to see this location where all the babies and toddlers are 100% perfectly behaved lol!
Wait, so "misbehaving" is now the same as out of control raging tantrums that the OP was talking about. Pick a story and stick with it.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 849,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I think this is handled different ways in different cultures. My husband's family is Christian. I'm Jewish. His family handled these things by taking the children out .... I handle it by taking my child out...
It's a very nice similarity of different culturtes' approaches, and it's want is important to other people who end up near misbehaving kids! Viva culture (in general)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or