U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:59 AM

62 posts, read 68,031 times

Advertisements

I'm so fed up having to tolerate ill-behaved children everywhere I go! Parents, you may be immune to your children's whining and squabbling with each other, and can tune them out, but we, the general public can't and shouldn't be expected to tolerate them in a restaurant, department store or of all places, the doctor's office.

Case on point - husband and I both sitting in doctor's office miserable with sinus infections waiting our turn while family of 5 show up in the waiting room. The whole place turns to chaos, one is throwing a tantrum, two are fighting and another is eating out of the potted plant. Mom is reading a magazine and barking orders to sit down and stop it, but they ignore her and get even rowdier running around the room and jumping off the chairs. We had to request to be moved to another waiting room.

It's to the point that we can't shop, tour museums, worship in church or dine in a restaurant without dodging kids racing shopping carts down aisles, toddlers in screaming tantrums, and snotty noses coming to our table to see what we're eating. God forbid that your approach the oblivious parents about it, you find out very quickly why the children are so unruly!

My siblings and I were raised to stand behind our parents with our hands folded and mouths shut while out in public. Table manners and polite responses were required, or we suffered the consequences swiftly. I raised my children the same way, and was never ashamed of them in public. I'm proud that they are doing the same with their children.

There is plenty of opportunity to give your child freedom to play, express themselves, and explore horizons at home and on a playground. Teach them some manners and regard for other people's space, respect for other's property, and you will be giving them one of the greatest lessons in life. You will also be doing the rest of the population a huge favor.
peep

Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
Feel better now?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,172,175 times
I agree, OPK is a societal blight, just because *You* decided to have kids, doesn't mean we should be forced to listen to them or raise them.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:59 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,879,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peep531 View Post
It's to the point that we can't shop, tour museums, worship in church or dine in a restaurant without dodging kids racing shopping carts down aisles, toddlers in screaming tantrums, and snotty noses coming to our table to see what we're eating. God forbid that your approach the oblivious parents about it, you find out very quickly why the children are so unruly!

My siblings and I were raised to stand behind our parents with our hands folded and mouths shut while out in public. Table manners and polite responses were required, or we suffered the consequences swiftly. I raised my children the same way, and was never ashamed of them in public. I'm proud that they are doing the same with their children.
I never been to a restaurant where shopping carts are available for kids to play, Simply what I think we cannot expect the wole world do the same. When I am at public I just tolerate because I am not wealthy enough empty whole floor in a hospital or a supermarket just like Michael Jackson did.

Last edited by Zeurich; 10-11-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 10:15 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,706,635 times
Sing it!
This whole phenomenon of letting the kids be wild and free makes me insane. I don't get it, I don't understand it and I have left more than one restaurant, store etc because of it.

I don't believe in the old adage of seen not heard but well mannered, respectful and knowing the time/place to run around is something we instilled in our kids by paying attention, parenting and using discipline.

I lived in the West most of my life then I moved to the South. I have to say, I think the parenting in the West is much looser than here in the South. We don't see nearly as many unruly, undisciplined kids here as we used to in the West.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:41 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Gosh where do you live? Sure this happens from time to time but it is the exception not the rule. Maybe your tolerance level is low.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 AM

235 posts, read 226,763 times
I don't have a problem as long as the parents are making some attempt to control the situation. The sh*t I hate is when kids are running amok and Mom is too busy texting on her cell phone to notice that her snowflakes are disrupting others.

Plus I think a lot of people are just plain stupid. Back when I was a flight attendant I remember this one woman feeding her two year old Oreo cookies and pink lemonade right before take-off. Then she's acting perplexed when the kid is bouncing off the walls and screaming because he doesn't want to sit still. Um, how about don't pump your kid full of sugar when you know he has to be confined for two hours. There's just no common sense anymore.

There are definitely some good parents out there though. Not too long ago I was loading groceries into my car in the Wal Mart parking lot next to a woman who was getting out of her minivan with four little boys. She lined them up and began going over rules for how to be behave in the store. She said if everyone was good they'd stop for ice cream afterwards and then asked what happens if you misbehave, to which the kids replied in unison "WE GO HOME!" It was really adorable.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:37 AM

15,545 posts, read 8,734,436 times
I have a low tolerance for that kind of stuff, too, but I can't say that I see it often in children, even here in the west. But I understand, because on the rare occasion I do see it, I also seethe. Fortunately, most kids are reasonably well-behaved in my area. The well-heeled thirty-somethings who seem to think the entire world exists to cater to their whims, on the other hand, make me want to crack a two-by-four upside their heads! Just saw yet another bunch at a restaurant yesterday, making a nuisance of themselves by peppering their speech with effing this and effing that loudly enough that everybody could hear it. I'm still angry about it today.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:38 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,496,034 times
I find it disgusting that our society is so intolerant of children. Children are at a different developmental level than adults, but they are human beings who should be valued simply for that reason. Children may not yet understand the difference between an inside voice and outside voice. They may have less control over their physical bodies. They may not have mastered empathy and so aren't always thinking about how others are impacted by their behavior. I do think there are places where it is inappropriate to bring children too young to not be a disruption...the symphony or a show not intended for young children or certain restaurants. However, I in no way think they should be hidden from society until they are adults.

This thread reminds me of a painting I saw in a museum once. It was these little children in the victorian era, dressed like little adults. They were expected to act like adults at that time. The looks on their faces was so sad. I've seen that look on modern children with heavy handed parents who also think they should be "seen and not heard."

Last edited by Ellen Pitts; 10-11-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,218,599 times
I can't be too annoyed with unruly kids, considering that I was pretty bad myself at that age. I remember kicking an old lady's shopping cart when I was 5 because she was blocking the cookies.. So I consider it karma lol.

My parents usually got me to behave by pointing at a nearby cop or guard and said that they'd come take me away to prison if I was bad.

It worked. But now I'm instinctively afraid of cops lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or