U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:11 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,803,871 times

Advertisements

Sure, you can overreact, not even try to talk to the teacher, remove your son from that school and find out his new school also has inclusion friendly classrooms.

You haven't said what either child is doing wrong. But, I can see how acting as a regular translator would cause a distraction and loss of focus on your son's part. That's a legitimate complaint, and doesn't require any comment on the other child beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 2,883,322 times
When kid start primary school they change it does not depend on child who is sitting next to him. you can change school you can change classes but where ever you go your child will be changing due to he is growing and grabbing others skills and imitations. I think the best thing is just ask the school teacher how your son doing instead of complaining about other child.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:35 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,642,201 times
Usually Special Needs children have an IEP that in this case can say he needs a translator. Special Needs can be in normal classrooms but they usually still have an aide or teacher looking out for them in some way.

Personally I read your post and my mouth dropped that you would blame the SN child as if he has a disease thats rubbing off. They are both just there to learn, one happens to learn a different way. Talk to the teacher about YOUR son and leave the SN child out of it.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:45 PM

235 posts, read 227,029 times
Questions:
What specific changes in behavior are we talking about?

What definitive proof do you have that the mentally challenged child is responsible?

I will say that I agree with the previous posts that it's not your child's job to translate for the special needs kid, especially if it's to the detriment of his own learning.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 AM

5,532 posts, read 5,718,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If your intention is do go in and blame a mentally handicapped child for your son's behavioral problems
How do you know? We are not present in class, but how can you tell a child this young is not influenced by another? And is it right to compromise a healthy child's well being because another with special needs "may" be better in an inclusive environment?
Quote:

What you can and should do, is ask the teacher if anything has changed in his behavior, and what she thinks might be contributing to any bad behavior. You can request she move him into a different group, but from my experience, the teachers rotated the kids around fairly regularly anyway.

You and you child need to realize that children with handicaps are frequently better off in an inclusion setting. It's doubtful it won't happen again through the years. Your son needs to be responsible for his own actions.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,883,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Usually Special Needs children have an IEP that in this case can say he needs a translator. Special Needs can be in normal classrooms but they usually still have an aide or teacher looking out for them in some way.

Personally I read your post and my mouth dropped that you would blame the SN child as if he has a disease thats rubbing off. They are both just there to learn, one happens to learn a different way. Talk to the teacher about YOUR son and leave the SN child out of it.
I think that will be much better in the sens. But special need kids are not going to a special school like here in EU? Are they going to normal school just like other kids? Here we have special school for SN kids with more attention and more facilities.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:32 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,642,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I think that will be much better in the sens. But special need kids are not going to a special school like here in EU? Are they going to normal school just like other kids? Here we have special school for SN kids with more attention and more facilities.
At least here in Ohio, any special needs child can attend a normal school. Sometimes they have special needs classes away from other kids or even mixed with normal classroom for some classes or even completely in the normal classroom but need extra help. They will 9 out of 10 times have an IEP that gives accommodations/helps and goals to get them into a normal setting.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:54 AM

14,306 posts, read 20,563,635 times
The part that gets me is the teacher asking your son to translate. I am assuming your son told you this.

I would go into the teacher, be polite to the teacher as others have said. Ask about behavior changes. I would also ask about the translation. This isn't your son's job, he is there to learn and enjoy school. It this is the case, tell the teacher you feel your son is getting to much stress from this task.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 AM

3,364 posts, read 2,499,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOCTS View Post
My son started his school first grade and he is healthy kid and a month back a mentally retarded(MR) kid joined his class and few weeks later MR is siting in my son table in his class,since then i see lot of changes in my sons behavior..
Something does not sound right here. What kind of school is it. What kind of mental issues does the other child have exactly. And what "changes" have you noticed in your own child?

The first thing I would point out is "changes" are not bad. It depends what the changes are. You simply say "changes" as if we are meant to assume this is bad, and you want to avoid it. What are the changes? What is the issue with them?

The second thing is that correlation does not imply causation. Children are changing all the time. Do not assume that the changes you observe now are due to whatever child they are sitting beside. Changes could be caused by anything - even simply growing up. Perhaps your own biases related to children with mental issues are just making you hyper sensitive to changes that were happening all the time - but you now have cause to notice.

You were already given the best advice by another poster on this thread. That is - communicate with the teacher - outline the behavioural changes you feel you have observed - and ask what the teacher thinks might be the cause of them.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 AM

452 posts, read 700,295 times
You may want to let your son you are proud of him for what he is doing. He is being a great help to the teacher and to the boy. The teacher may not be acknowledging this and he is acting up because he is. Ask him if he is understanding everything being taught or if this is distracting from him learning. He maybe stressed out because he feels responsible for the boy and it is not his responsibility. It is the school system and they need to bring a special helper/translator for the boy.

As for talking to the teacher I would not mention the change in your son's behavior, I would simply ask if he will ever be separated from the boy. You are concerned about him being distracted and not learning what he should since he is always trying to help out this boy and the teacher. Your sole concern is your child and you need to be worried and if your son's grades are not what they should be then there is an issue. Try not to bring up anything about your son's behavior, you see it but since the teacher is at the beginning of the school year she will not know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting