U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM

10 posts, read 9,429 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

Just thought to take your suggestions before i meet the class teacher.

My son started his school first grade and he is healthy kid and a month back a mentally retarded(MR) kid joined his class and few weeks later MR is siting in my son table in his class,since then i see lot of changes in my sons behavior..

Can i request class teacher or school principle to change his class room ?

Please give me your valuable suggestion on how to make things simple.

Thx
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 PM

11,638 posts, read 17,054,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOCTS View Post
Hello Friends,

Just thought to take your suggestions before i meet the class teacher.

My son started his school first grade and he is healthy kid and a month back a mentally retarded(MR) kid joined his class and few weeks later MR is siting in my son table in his class,since then i see lot of changes in my sons behavior..

Can i request class teacher or school principle to change his class room ?

Please give me your valuable suggestion on how to make things simple.

Thx
Dan
Ask teacher to move your son to a different seat. Otherwise it may just be your son and not the other kid.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 PM

12,921 posts, read 19,803,871 times
If your intention is do go in and blame a mentally handicapped child for your son's behavioral problems, you won't get far.

What you can and should do, is ask the teacher if anything has changed in his behavior, and what she thinks might be contributing to any bad behavior. You can request she move him into a different group, but from my experience, the teachers rotated the kids around fairly regularly anyway.

You and you child need to realize that children with handicaps are frequently better off in an inclusion setting. It's doubtful it won't happen again through the years. Your son needs to be responsible for his own actions.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 PM

What reasons i can give to move my son seat to different seat.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,673,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If your intention is do go in and blame a mentally handicapped child for your son's behavioral problems, you won't get far.

What you can and should do, is ask the teacher if anything has changed in his behavior, and what she thinks might be contributing to any bad behavior. You can request she move him into a different group, but from my experience, the teachers rotated the kids around fairly regularly anyway.
This is great advice. If you request input/help from the teacher, rather than go in blaming and demanding a change, things will go much smoother.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times
I would tell the teacher that you have noticed some behavior changes in your son, and ask if she has seen any. Ask the teacher if she has any advice in preventing this misbehavior. Do it in a nice way and definitely don't blame the other child. You want the teacher on your side.

Parents who come in guns blazing rarely get what they want. ( I am a long time teacher)

Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 PM

If he's cutting up, not paying attention, etc, you can ask the teacher to try putting him with some well behaved students who might be able to model acceptable behavior. That's a legitimate request, I've had my kids moved to different groups because they spent too much time fooling around with their buddies.

What you can't do, is blame the other child.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM

teacher uses my Kid as translator as my son speaks the same language as MR kid..This is strange and teacher might not 100% say yes as her job might become worse/nightmare in communicating with the MR kid as she cannot speak the MR kid language.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Honestly, it isn't your son's responsibility to act as translator, although I'm sure it's helpful. Doesn't the other child have an aide? Perhaps it's the interruptions to translate that are causing your son's issue.

Be nice, but look out for your child's best interests, and once again, do not blame the other child.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 PM

in worst case i might have to look for another school as i don't have the right to talk about another kids behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting