Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,873 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are taking care of a 3 year old boy. He has a ton of energy and is always running around, and he has a great appetite, always finishing his plate at every meal and asking for more.

But a half hour after meals, he starts asking for snacks. And if he eats a snack, he'll ask for another one shortly thereafter. We don't give him junk food, just breakfast-biscuit type things (kind of like Nutrigrain bars, but not exactly) . But he asks for snacks quite often.

I feel it's important to have structured meals and want to implement a "one snack between meals" policy. My wife thinks he's a growing, incredibly active kid and there's no harm in giving him several snacks between meals, as long as he keeps eating his meals.

Is there anything wrong with giving a kid multiple snacks between meals in such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
as long as it isn't junk food. jive him apples or even a small bunch of grapes, then give him another bunch of grapes. they say we as adults should be eating 5 small meals a day. the kid may also be bored, at the second snack request maybe read him a book.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Depends on the contents of his meals and snacks.

My kid is turning 3 in a month.
He eats breakfast at 7, 10am snack, lunch 1230, snack after nap ~1530, and dinner at 1830. Without fail. These are presented to him whether or not he asks for food.

If my kid asks for *anything extra*, he gets fruit or veg or sometimes a cheese (babybel wheel).
His meals have protein, LARGE portion of veg, legumes, fruit for dessert, and an occasional grain/rice.
His snacks are fruit or veg and sometimes some crackers. Yogurt.
He drinks water. Period.

So if this kid is already consuming a large, varied, whole food diet with scheduled snacks, you may see less of this.

Do NOT carb him up with sugary breads and crackers and cookies and kiddie cereal. Insulin spikes from high carby meals/snacks will cause a crash and seeking more crappy snacks.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
I see nothing wrong with it really. What do you feel the downsides could be exactly?

However if it concerns you then simply read into what foods are appetite suppressants. Slow energy release foods for example can leave one feeling less hungry for longer. Bananas, nuts, and a few other things do this. A boiled egg is a good example of a food I have read - and noticed - leaves one feeling not hungry for longer.

But in general what is the harm in your view? What is your worst case concerns about this? Are you fearing obesity and the child becoming over weight? Or something else?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,873 times
I don't have a real solid reason to be against it, as long as he's still eating his meals - it just feels wrong to me. Which I know isn't a great reason, so that's why I'm asking.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
One reason is that you want to build good habits.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
If he is a foster child he may not be in the habit of having food available to him on a regular basis and is testing to make sure it really is there. Also food represents care and nurturing so it is not unusual for insecure or neglected kids to reach for more food. Stan4 is right. Give good quality snacks like fruits- no fruit juices-just whole fruits and raw veggies to fill him up. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
He may be going through a growth spurt right now. My kids used to have a bigger appetite and want to snack all day during growth spurts.

Yogurt makes a good snack. So does cereal (like cheerios) in a little tub or bag that he can carry around with him.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Make his meals bigger? As long as all the food is actually healthy, I don't see a problem. There is also no problem with saying, "No. You can wait for lunch."

Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Add a glass of skim milk to each meal and/or snack. Veggies such as baby carrots and celery with hummus is a filling snack. Some of those pre-packaged breakfast sandwiches are quite low calorie. He may be better off with a cooked breakfast or real oatmeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting