U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:16 PM

14 posts, read 13,889 times

Advertisements

My 7yr old daughter Erin is bad for coming out of School on days that its cold with her coat unzipped. When I ask her to "zip up your coat", she says "you do it" but she is perfectly capable of doing it for herself, I get sick of having to zip it up everyday just because she is to lazy to do it by herself.

She is fussy about coats, she will only wear Regatta coats that MUST have zips, she hates coats that have buttons or toggles.

So, how can I get her zipping her coat by herself (she can do it but is to lazy)? She is very independent apart from this and liking to hold my hand evetytime we go out.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
She will zip it up when she gets cold enough, or when she sees the other girls in her class zipping theirs. She's just picking a little battle with you because it matters so much to you.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM

39,014 posts, read 37,656,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
She will zip it up when she gets cold enough, or when she sees the other girls in her class zipping theirs. She's just picking a little battle with you because it matters so much to you.
Yep, just let it go. Be glad she is wearing the coat.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:28 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,494,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Yep, pick your battles.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:35 PM

329 posts, read 272,747 times
Yep. Drop it and she will zip it up when it's cold. Why is it bothering you so much?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:45 PM

I have had her come out of School shivering due to not zipping her coat plus, I am parent so if I say it needs zipped, then it will get zipped.

If it is raining, I usually insist it gets zipped, same with winter. In Winter, it gets zipped nearly everyday due to winter chill and fact she feels cold a lot more than other kids.

Surely I am right to insist it gets zipped in Winter??

Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,494,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna02 View Post
I have had her come out of School shivering due to not zipping her coat plus, I am parent so if I say it needs zipped, then it will get zipped.

If it is raining, I usually insist it gets zipped, same with winter. In Winter, it gets zipped nearly everyday due to winter chill and fact she feels cold a lot more than other kids.

Why? So she'll be cold, she will eventually figure it out. I think you're being a little bit of a control freak about this because it just isn't a big deal. If it were my kid (and believe me it has been) I would shrug and tell her if it were me I'd zip up because it's cold. If she refuses she gets the natural consequence of being cold. If you force her all you get is a battle.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM

I "force her" because if she gets cold, she whines and whines again when I tell her to zip her coat.

If I do it, which sometimes I do, then she knows that there isn't an option plus she can't whine.

She is also made to zip it at School during playtimes because School have a rule that, coats must be zipped on rainy or snowy days because School don't like kids coming in with dirty/soaking uniforms.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna02 View Post

Sometimes they just have to shiver to learn She's not going to be harmed by being a little cold on the way to the car or the walk home.

Give her the freedom to make little personal choices like that. Save your fights and stress for important issues.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM

She whines though so to stop the whinging, I zip the coat. I know that is wrong but it is easier than listening to her complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or