Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:27 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times

Advertisements

I give out juice boxes. Kids love them. I even have kids who make my house the half-way point so that they can get something to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
Glow sticks would be a big hit in my neighborhood.

One year, someone gave out small stuffed animals - my daughter was THRILLED.

I hand out fruit snacks and goldfish. I don't know any kids that won't eat those. The best part is that any left over get dumped in the snack box for the kids to eat on weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I give out juice boxes. Kids love them. I even have kids who make my house the half-way point so that they can get something to drink.
I like the goldfish idea (I can crush up leftovers for chicken and seafood coating) and the juice box idea (leftovers can go in my breakfast smoothie).

Truly the main reason I am doing this is to avoid having chocolate left in my house (or for that matter, in the days leading up to Halloween) to tempt me. I have a horrendous sweet tooth that I am always trying to control, but I have no willpower when I know something is in my house. I know, it's my issue, and I don't want the neighborhood kids to be "penalized" for my weakness, but my way to deal with my issue is to keep sweets out of the house. I'm retired, so I can't just take the extras to work.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Maybe the kids in my neighborhood are less spoiled than that. We get over 200 kids every year. I can't afford to give out high priced items, so yes, they get cheap plastic spider rings and things like that. The response I get is always delight. Most of the time, the kids reach in the bag to pull it out and put it on before walking down the sidewalk. I get lots of "cool, mom, look a ring!" Never been egged or TP'd. But we're a blue collar working class neighborhood where most of the kids have been taught to be thankful for what they get.
Last I counted - we had 279 kids roll through our house before we ran out of candy and went inside. We went through about $50 in candy for all 279 kids. We bought big bags at Costco and gave out two pieces per child - regardless of whether big or small. In return, my two children ended up coming home with just about as much candy from their treat or treating - so it was a wash.

And I don't think wanting candy on a day famous for getting candy makes kids unthankful if they react with displeasure over a non-candy item in their bag.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oriental Trading Company can provide a wide range of items!
Careful...''Oriental'' is now hidden code for RACIST.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Where can I buy candy bars that costs 5 or ten cents each?
Sam's Club.

I bought a bag of 200 pieces (3 Musketeers, Twix, Snickers, Starburst, etc.) for $9.99, which breaks down to about 5 cents per piece.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:27 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I think toys are fine.

A caution about handing out money. An acquaintance of mine was handing out coins and word got out and she was threatened and robbed by some big kids.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Check with your bank if they have half dollars on hand. When I worked in the branch we used to always keep them in stock. Question is though--do you get a very large turnout of kids? Handing out half dollars might cost you a lot of money lol

Glow sticks are a nice idea. I'm going to assume that kids don't eat anything until their parents inspect the items (that's what I do). If you give out glow sticks maybe tell them, "Hey, I have cool glow sticks you can use to walk around with" that way there's less of a chance of them just biting into it

We've given out the small bags of pretzels and my daughter has received them as well. She's not much of a candy eater (only a few things she actually likes) so she always likes getting pretzels or small bags of chips.

I also go to the party store and pick up packages of Halloween party favors like spider rings, bookmarkers or Halloween themed erasers or those little maze toys. They're pretty inexpensive and you get at least a dozen in a package, sometimes more depending on what the item is. We've spent so much money on candy and have had left-overs that we preferred having little items that we can use the following year if there's any left.

I usually pick stuff like this...

bookmarkers

rings--these are really inexpensive. I think they're about $2

erasers

Those bookmarkers really don't look right .

Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
When I was a kid, it was fun to get the wax fangs. Do they still make those?

I don't know what you would do with leftovers, though. Maybe donate them to the food bank? Food bank hands out some non-food kid stuff.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Those bookmarkers really don't look right .
I have no idea what they look like to you

Old 10-17-2014, 03:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,472,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
When I was a kid, it was fun to get the wax fangs. Do they still make those?

I don't know what you would do with leftovers, though. Maybe donate them to the food bank? Food bank hands out some non-food kid stuff.
We gave those out one year while we still lived in the city, maybe five years ago. I love them too but they are expensive as a Halloween candy as we would get two hundred plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting