U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 PM

23 posts, read 92,116 times

Advertisements

cps has been called due to other problems (assault in front of kids) lice may be sickening but they aren't a danger. Nice huh.
and i'm over 600 miles away, so me and mine are safe, but my nephew is not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM

12,408 posts, read 13,084,552 times
it's not enough just to do the shampoo and the comb on all family members, to get rid of it so they don't continually reinfest, need to shampoo all the rugs and upholstery, put all the stuffed animals the kids use into plastic bags for weeks even after they've been washed, and treat not just hair hair but body hair too (chest hair, pubes, all of it). Major pain if you have lots of kids and a big house.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
I don't know if she is actively attempting to get rid of them. But I guess it IS possible to have them a long time now expecially if you have several in the family and keep getting re-infected. Unfortunately, lice have become resistent to many of the insecticides used in the conventional treatments. Therefore, it's a lot harder for people to get rid of them than it used to be. We had some friends with 3 kids that had a real lulu of time getting the whole family rid of them even though they were battling the situation for all it was worth.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM

218 posts, read 1,276,853 times
It must be her as ALL the kids are now clean and have been for months (they DO NOT stay with her), but she is still toting the little critters. She has long thick hair and is not "trying" hard enough.

WOULD YOU do what it takes to rid yourself of them or live with them?
Me personally I would use kerosene if needed or if that didnt work CUT IT. (And yes I know kerosene is VERY DANGEROUS and should not be used this way), but i know people who have done this to "make it stop"..... I have NEVER had the pleasure of having them, yes my son did get them in kindergarden, took 2 treatments of rid and a buzz cut for him. (again the thick hair)
I just find it unacceptable (nasty) for an adult, (with a job, with medical benefits etc etc) to have them for as long as she has.....its been over a year!

Ok thanks all..... she gets under my skin and i am just venting, but don't you agree it is nasty?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,015 times
lice stay on the head and they don jump...spray them down with almost anything and comb them out...it will go away.....lol repeat often and you can eliminate them for good in few weeks...

Last edited by liceman; 09-06-2008 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: mis spelled a word

Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM

2,745 posts, read 12,852,605 times
I know this thread is old but just wanted to add something:

Sometimes the shampoos don't work. I've seen it directly, where it's left on even LONGER than the instructed time period, and there are still live (not dying) lice afterwards. They (lice) are developing immunities to the poisons.

There are other remedies out there, some are useless, some supposedly work. Apple Cider Vinegar is one I've HEARD works. There's this method:

Nuvo for Head Lice

Which uses Cetaphil lotion and a blow dryer for a non-pesticide remedy. Supposedly the cetaphil, when applied properly then blow dried, creates a "shrink wrap" effect and suffocates the lice. It is left on the hair and scalp overnight and all the next day because it isn't visible, the kids hair looks normal and clean but in fact is "sealed" in the dried lotion. It looks like the initial study showed very good results and there doesn't seem to be any monetary gain here by the one who developed this method.

Otherwise, I've personally had good results with head lice by using the "poison" then following up with an intense nit-combing, then nit-combing EVERY DAY for at least 2 weeks. This way even if any live through the treatment they won't stay in the hair long enough to reproduce if they're removed every day. Kid hates this combing but doing it after shampooing, with lots of conditioner in the hair, makes it less painful.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,208,064 times
Call Child Protective Services.. those little critters bite, then leave a rash, the kids itch them and they can get infected. That is disgusting.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,395,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
A YEAR?!?!

They are no longer "lice". They are now pets, obviously.

Yikes LOL! Omg. I am getting the shivers...Yuk!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,208,064 times
Maybe we should name them!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,852,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Call Child Protective Services.. those little critters bite, then leave a rash, the kids itch them and they can get infected. That is disgusting.
In most states CPS is not supposed to get involved for lice as a stand-alone problem. You can usually search for your state's CPS handbook/guidelines online and see for yourself. Some are more specific than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting