Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I agree that is not nice thing to do how ever because of parents given gift tip if every one ignores then poor kid get hurt and that is disturb her activity at school too. So I said I would not do that. May be I will ignore the gift tip and send my child. But first I need to talk to her if she likes to go. This girl never been by us for a play appointment. We invited her once for my daughters birthday party did not show up either did not inform she is not coming , since then I am not inviting her. But she invited my daughter every time, but each time mention as something pink something red or something for hair like that. So we got chance to choose between tips. We still have time so I am still on the fence about everything at the moment.
She is a gift grabber, nothing more. I think you should boycott the party. This little girl is spoiled and seems to think she can ask for whatever she wants and she'll get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
She is a gift grabber, nothing more. I think you should boycott the party. This little girl is spoiled and seems to think she can ask for whatever she wants and she'll get it.
Yes pretty clear that too. As far I know they have only one child in that sens me too but my child knows very well she can ask as much as she want from santa but santa choose what to give due to his budget because magic world also got crisis

Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Is this really a friendship you want to pursue? It doesn't sound like one I'd try to facilitate, especially in light of the other little girl not showing up for your own daughter's party.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Hi every one I picked my little lady from school. She came with a birthday party invitation from a class mate. I have no problem with giving a gift tip with an invitation as well that is easy for us, pack it up and send it with kid , but the gift tip they given is cost 80 euro mean the series number they have mention. That is something called Furby here in Europe talk talk and talk this thing till battery go die. And this girl will be 10 years old, When my daughter asked the same thing few years back when she was 4, I have declined with letting her know that is not worth for that money. As well that thing never go on discount price so there was no chance to get one ,and my poor kid forgot about it and moved on with other stuff like lego friends, monster high, top model and stuff.

I thought just ignore the tip and send some useful book or something. But still then I don't want my daughter to be shamed in case this child start yelling " I did not get due to the tip" There will be 9 other kids too.
I am not going to hurt my kid with buying this crap what I refuse to buy years back. And I honestly find it is not nice to ask that much expensive gift from a school friend's parents. I have given my child's birthday party I specially mention "NO GIFTS".

what would be the best thing I can do in this case?

What come to your mind any feed back would help.
In advance I am saying thank you.
Since 80 euro's is well over $100.00 US dollars (just converting for those that don't know) - I'm willing to at least HOPE that that 'gift tip' (suggestion of what to spend) has a decimal point.. meaning they 'suggest' that you spend 8.0 euro's - not 80.

If the person sending that really MEANT to put a suggested 80, we'd have a conversation on ethics...

Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Since 80 euro's is well over $100.00 US dollars (just converting for those that don't know) - I'm willing to at least HOPE that that 'gift tip' (suggestion of what to spend) has a decimal point.. meaning they 'suggest' that you spend 8.0 euro's - not 80.

If the person sending that really MEANT to put a suggested 80, we'd have a conversation on ethics...
yes true,

Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I am betting that the parents know that no one individual would spend that much money on a classmate's birthday gift. Maybe they thought it was worth asking for because maybe all of the parents would want to all pitch in and buy one Furby total but I doubt they have any expectations in regards to what people will ultimately decide to do in terms of a gift. Maybe that is the only thing that their daughter wants so they figured, "it can't hurt to ask".

For what it's worth, my budget for a classmate's gift is $10. total and I never worry if the parents think I'm cheap. I try to find something that the birthday kid would like. If they don't end up liking it, oh well.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Default How to react to an invitation together with gift tip what cost 80 euros?-Update

Hi every one!

This morning I met the parent of this Birthday girl. She smiled and ask " is your daughter coming" I am not sure If I was being rude but I said "sending my daughter is not the problem but your gift tip, it is bit over the limit I can afford at the moment".
I honestly wanted to see in case if they made a mistake. But I am happy that I have said so because I got to know the the real story behind the screen.

Birthday Girl's father suffers from a cancer since 5 years. Due to the chemo therapy and other medications he needs. They are not in a position to buy this girl anything. And she was very dearly said

" I am truly sorry if you thought I am greedy, I thought at least one person who could afford will buy this for my child the rest will choose what they can give that is the reason I add the same gift tip to every one" My girl ask it since she has seen it but we could not get it due to the costs. She liked dancing she did 3 years that stops and also her music lessons and pottery lessons due to our costs. We barely manage to eat and pay other bills. I have gave up my mobile, and internet too, and we sold our car, house is standing to sale please don't misunderstand me and she starts to "

I felt very sad she should have approach personally but I know it is not easy to ask people to help. I spoken to the other parents. They felt also the same, they were silent for a moment when they hear, one mother said " why we don't know anything at least we could help a bit for this poor kid"

Now we are 9 parents
we are going to do like this.
3 parents together buy Furby
3 parents together will pay for her one year dancing class fees- One parent is me.
3 parents together will pay for her music lessons for a year

That is our birthday gifts for her.

Class teacher took the responsibility to organize a sponsor walk to give a bit of financial support to this family. That will be in end of November.
Honestly I thought from her shoes. How much this mother would have been suffer. I wish I knew this early. Personally I am going to see if I can help them via a non governmental organization or something. But I did not give any hopes.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
OMG! Nobody would have known if you hadn't asked. That's a wonderful solution too. You're a fantastic person.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Who would have known? So glad you found out and what wonderful gifts these are. Good for you and the other parents.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
How easy it is to jump to conclusions when we don't know the whole story. It must have been very hard for the other mother to share all of this with you, but I'm glad she did. And how wonderful of the whole group and the class teacher to come together to help them out!

Blessings to all of you for your kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting