Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/pare...105795052.html

While I do have problem with parents who make to little effort to control their kids in public, I am not sure what these parents could have to done differently to calm their child on the plane.

FTA:
“I buckled him in and he was of course screaming and yelling,” said the Chesterfield, Missouri father. “And I held him with force.” Unfortunately little Sam continued to wail. Khalfin says the attendant then told him and his wife, Regina: “Your son is too loud…If you’re not going to keep him calm in the next three minutes, you guys are going to have to leave the plane.’” The parents were able to calm Sam – until turbulence at one point during the four-hour journey freaked him out and he resumed wailing.

What would you in this situation with a "terrible two"?

The kid's ears were probably driving him nuts. Pressurization can really play hell with young kids. Especially when they're prone to ear infections anyway. He might be a candidate for ear shunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNRamper View Post
These customers know they can get away with bullying our employees and it isn't fair at all, but it's life. I'm always proud when I see another passenger stick up for our crew when someone like the mother above starts her toddler-fueled rampage. I'm also glad our female pilot base is growing significantly, almost as much as the ratio to male pilots now...

They would know they couldn't get away with it if the law were called and the law were enforced. Acting like that in public ought to get people arrested and a three figure fine dropped on them for good measure along with the hefty charge for the city having to take care of her child while mommy was undergoing an 8 hour arrest and booking procedure. And the airline should not refund her ticket either.

Corporations need to man up across the board and stop enabling bad behavior because "it's cheaper". Whether it's shoplifters or psychopathic flyers.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes...
Why is it that I never threw tantrums as a kid and neither did my brother?
Did we ever misbehave? Yes, but never would we embarrass our parents in public. In public, everything was "Yes, Mom/Dad". If our parents were having a conversation and we wanted/needed something, we would say, "Excuse me".
What never? What never? Well, hardly ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=c548RjB8jzQ

Bet you don't remember being 2 years old. While tantrums can be kept to a minimum if parents know how to spot the triggers and how to react, toddlers have tantrums because they are not good at communicating in words.

Temper tantrums in toddlers: How to keep the peace - Mayo Clinic

Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'd want to know exactly how the parents were abusive to the flight crew. I doubt the police would have been called just because a two year old was wailing.
flight crews can be real #@@holes easily. I mean any crew that says a crying 2 year old has to be silenced in three minutes or get kicked off the plane are already starting the journey of being jerks.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:59 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes...
Why is it that I never threw tantrums as a kid and neither did my brother?
Did we ever misbehave? Yes, but never would we embarrass our parents in public. In public, everything was "Yes, Mom/Dad". If our parents were having a conversation and we wanted/needed something, we would say, "Excuse me".
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

This is hilarious!

Show me a 2-year old who does this - kidding

the above describes a 7 year old

not a 2 year old

Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
The kid's ears were probably driving him nuts. Pressurization can really play hell with young kids. Especially when they're prone to ear infections anyway. He might be a candidate for ear shunts.

The brat started his tantrum before they even took off, so there was no "pressurization". Not to mention, there is NOTHING in the story that says the kid is "prone to ear infections" or anything else. "He might be a candidate for ear shunts"..... WHERE are you getting this from?!?!??!!

The kid was a being a brat, plain and simple. The parents were probably rude and abusive to the flight crew and that's why the cops were waiting for them when they landed. The cops aren't going to be called or greet a plane just because a kid is crying.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
2 yr olds aren't brats, they're babies.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:27 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
2 yr olds aren't brats, they're babies.

Funny, my "baby" never did anything like this. The kid did it because he's a brat who probably rules the roost at home and is accustomed to getting his way. He wanted to sit on his father's lap and, when he wasn't permitted to and told he had to sit in his own seat, he threw a tantrum. Unfortunately, he has asshats for parents who blame everyone except for their own lack of parenting skills and insist their little snowflake is 'entitled'.

I'm so sick of people these days who insist on breeding but don't want to take any responsibility of being a PARENT to their offspring!

Old 11-01-2014, 03:54 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Adults are way more obnoxious than children on airplanes.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:26 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
I was that Mom 10 years ago with my then 2 year old son. He was terrified of the plane, and just reacted with pure terror. I tried to hold him, and he was fine, then they made me strap him in his seat bc I had bought him a ticket. Long story short, he cried on/off for nearly 2 hours. The flight attendants were nasty to me; repeatedly telling me to quiet him. He was eventually diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and he's still an anxious kid. Are there jerk parents who have bratty kids??? Absolutely. But there are also parents who are doing the best they can and need a little grace extended to them. There are kids with non-visible special needs. What if an attendant had said "wow, this must be very frustrating for you. Is there anything i can do to help?" And sometimes despite being the best parents ever for our kids they will flip the hell out. For those who are perfect parents with perfect children, God bless you and wear your cape with a giant S proudly. The rest of us are just trying to get through the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting