Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:44 PM

948 posts, read 921,028 times

Advertisements

Fortunately, social skills are something that can be taught.
Unfortunately, the are not usually taught in schools.

You can find books that teach you how to teach your kids social skills. If you can afford it, you can look for some type of classes or counseling sessions that deal with it. Some schools might also offer counseling on social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
sports - get him into some. My kids are in the town soccer program and between that and school, they seem to know everyone their age. They even play soccer at recess with some of them.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Wow, thanks again for all of your replies.
Now when Im finally at home again, two kids sleeping and husband at work, I can sit down and collect my thoughts again.

I like the idea of sports. He has played baseball and soccer before but he he is so distracted. While the other kids are focused on the coach my son is paying attention to a spider on the ground. But on the other hand he is in great shape from always running and moving around. Non stop energy. When he was 2 years old he used to go for walks with his grand parents. They brought the stroller but he refused. He would walk 5-8 miles without complaining.
Im not sure team sports is his thing yet, but how about Martial Arts?
They have some great Martial Arts schools around where I live. I know it's not teaing the kid social skills but it teaches him self discipline and confidence?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
They have some great Martial Arts schools around where I live. I know it's not teaing the kid social skills but it teaches him self discipline and confidence?
Martial arts would be perfect. It's great for discipline and confidence. There will also be other children in his class. When he's older, there are many types of sports that don't require working as a team but have socialization with teammates, such as track, cross country, swimming, etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Martial arts would be perfect. It's great for discipline and confidence. There will also be other children in his class. When he's older, there are many types of sports that don't require working as a team but have socialization with teammates, such as track, cross country, swimming, etc.
Thanks Hopes, you are always full of great advice.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Your son might need to discover something he enjoys as well. My son did great in karate, did it for four years and got his black belt. It was wonderful for confidence, giving him self discipline and teaching respect.

You son sounds a lot like my nephew who would be staring at the grass during soccer. He never could get into it. After awhile he discovered wrestling and lacrosse which he loved.

You are getting slot of advice. Listen to your gut, a mom's intuition is powerful.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
After a lot of reading I've determined that he has mild Aspergers. (My husband has it too and I think there's a genetic component.)

Does a formal diagnosis matter?
It could matter. You should investigate. A formal diagnosis might make your son eligible for certain programs to help develop social skills, special classes, individual attention, and other things that can be helpful to him. If he has Asperger's, it would be good to get help with his social skills, and certain programs to help him with that might open up if he has a diagnosis.

I read that some parents like to get diagnosis for learning deficiencies, so their children can get extra help with their studies and special attention. So it might be a good idea to find out if this would be helpful for your son.

Ask somebody in your local community who knows more about Asperger's and/or government services available to them if a formal diagnosis would be a good idea for your son or not.

Quote:
Typically kids on the Asperger's spectrum have tough childhoods because they don't tend to fit in well and are bully-magnets.
True.

Asperger's runs very strongly in my family. I think almost everybody, if not everybody, on my Dad's side of the family has it; ranging from mild to severe. I know that the 4 children in my family all had problems with bullies. (I don't know about my dad's 12 siblings and their children, because I haven't asked. I would be surprised if they hadn't though. Somebody who lived in the same town said they were all "weirdos".)

Quote:
But when they become adults, they do better because they have skills that are highly sought.
Not true.

Many people with Asperger's are gifted, but IQ and natural talents are not as valuable for career success as EQ, and people with Asperger's are low in EQ. People with good social skills get more job offers than people who lack them but are better qualified, even when social ability has nothing to do with the job. That seems wrong, but that's the way it is.

Moreover, many people with Asperger's are victims of bullies, and being a bully victim can destroy a person's self-esteem and cause other psychological problems that might hinder their ability to find and maintain a good job.

My dad was very successful. He started his own company, which grew to a huge international company. He's been called a "genius" for his marketing and manufacturing skills, and even received an award from President Reagan. But he would not have gone that far if he didn't have a very ambitious and organized wife with extremely high social skills that pushed him, kept him on track, and always accompanied him on dinner with clients and for PR events like conventions and trade shows. She made sure his shoes matched, his belly-button wasn't sticking out, and he remembered when he wasn't late for meetings. He didn't understand why any of that was important.

I remember him saying, several times, that he never would have been successful if he had to work under somebody else. I believe it. He probably would have been fired for being late for work, and other people wouldn't want to hire him because he would go to dress like a slob for job interviews, wouldn't look the interviewers in the eyes, and would probably fiddle around with something in the interviewer's office (like a pencil stand or stapler or something). That's the kind of guy he was, and those kind of guys have trouble getting good jobs.

Moreover, dad was the only child out of 13 in his family to be successful, and none of his 4 adult children have been successful. His parents were not successful either. Neither were any of his immediate relatives. There are many geniuses in his family, and some musical talent too, but only 1 was financially successful. He got lucky.

It is difficult for people with Asperger's to get good jobs, or to get promoted, because they don't have the social skills to get ahead. (Unless the employer is somebody like my dad that doesn't discriminate against people based on their social skills.) And unfortunately, social skills are more important for success in the job market than intelligence and ability.

Quote:
Many think Bill Gates, Einstein, Thomas Jefferson and more had Asperger's.
I don't know much about Gates, but I know that Einstein and Jefferson would have had trouble getting good jobs in today's job market. The same goes for most historic geniuses with Asperger's.

Wow, this doesn't sound very inspiring. Sorry to be depressing.

But the good news is that people know more about Asperger's now, and know that people with Asperger's can do better in society and the job market by learning the social skills that come naturally to other people.

I buy a lot of books to teach my daughter social skills, because I don't want her to lose opportunities. I don't know if she has Asperger's, but it runs strongly in my family, so I'm not taking chances. Buying a few books on how to teach kids social skills is not a bad idea, imo, even if they don't have a problem in that area.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You said your son is easily distracted and has trouble paying attention to the coach?

Martial arts is great, but it might not be if he has an attention problem. You need to focus on the instructor, and not just for a few minutes while he gives instructions. You need to be very focused on what you're doing, through the entire class, and not get distracted by the sight of an interesting bug. My daughter takes karate, and the instructor expects them to give him their complete attention for the entire class period. Kids that don't keep focused get yelled at, and I've seen little boys cry because of it.

I don't know if that's a good option for a kid who has trouble focusing, but you could ask the instructors what they think. Maybe they would think it's a good way to learn "how to" focus?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
If he truly had an attention problem, he wouldn't be doing as well in school academically. He stares at bugs instead of listening to the coaches because baseball and soccer don't interest him yet. When the OP finds a sport or activity he enjoys, he will pay attention.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Hopes has a great point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting