Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:32 PM

183 posts, read 209,971 times

Advertisements

If you decide to do this -expect nothing. Nothing except answers to the questions you have in your head. Don't expect an ongoing parent/child relationship. Meet in a public place and keep it short. It will be awkward...

Why now? is it the unknown? Will it provide answers for you?

I think you should talk to your mom and see what she thinks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What would you advise?

I'd advise you to get smart and stop creating unnecessary drama in your life.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Except that she had to be very very stupid. Dear God are you kidding?
LMAO! Some of the stuff parentologist's posts is totally off the wall.

I'm fully confident you are capable of protecting yourself from physical danger.

That doesn't mean I think this is a good idea. There's a 99.9% chance, he'll break your heart.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:57 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothwells mum View Post
If you decide to do this -expect nothing. Nothing except answers to the questions you have in your head. Don't expect an ongoing parent/child relationship. Meet in a public place and keep it short. It will be awkward...

Why now? is it the unknown? Will it provide answers for you?

I think you should talk to your mom and see what she thinks...
Well apparently he was writing letters I never got.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I'm fully confident you are capable of protecting yourself from physical danger.

That doesn't mean I think this is a good idea. There's a 99.9% chance, he'll break your heart.
I'm not sure I really care to know him but I mean I just don't think I want to go my whole life not even knowing something as simple as that he looks like.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I really care to know him but I mean I just don't think I want to go my whole life not even knowing something as simple as that he looks like.
That's easy. Hire a private investigator. Or you can even research him yourself. You don't even have to meet him.

Quote:
Well apparently he was writing letters I never got.
That's true. Since your mother isn't the easiest person in the world, it's possible that there is another side to the story. His criminal record indicates otherwise though. Tread lightly. Investigate him first. Make your decision based on what you learn about him.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM

823 posts, read 1,051,901 times
What was in the letter that made you think perhaps you might want to see him after all? Why did your grandmother decide to show it to you now (did she know what was in it)? How old was he when your Mom got pregnant? Do you know if he's still married? Do you want to get to know your half-sister? People can and do change, especially if they are able to get on top of drug issues they may have had. And it sounds like he has made a number of attempts to contact you over the years. It also sounds like you'll always wonder about him if you don't do it.

Maybe it will all end in tears, but maybe you get to know your biological father as someone more than just that guy who walked out on your mother.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:07 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,748,914 times
Quote:
Except that she had to be very very stupid. Dear God are you kidding?
No. And she was not intellectually disabled. She was an obese AA girl, neither attractive nor unattractive, who clearly felt the lack of a father's love. So she went looking for him, against the warnings of her entire family. And that's what happened.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:13 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,748,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Hopes, honey, middle school is SO over. Post what you want, but stop the personal attacks on me.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hopes, honey, middle school is SO over. Post what you want, but stop the personal attacks on me.
Nothing txtqueen posted indicates he's a dangerous man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting