U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM

149 posts, read 464,052 times

Advertisements

my 2 year old hardly eats anything, and since I"m not a short order cook, hes out of luck most of the time (and strangely, he doesn't seem to mind...lol)

he will USUALLY eat:

apples
bananas
pineapple
chicken
raisins
nuts
noodles (like noodle soup)

HE will ALWAYs eat:

junk food. go figure. much to his dismay he doesn't get it all the time! lol
chips, fruit snacks, popcorn

Anything else is hit and miss...sometimes hell eat mac & cheese, sometimes not

sometimes fish sticks and hot dogs, sometimes not, sometimes veggies, sometimes not (Sensing a trend, are we?)

he REFUSES to eat:

beef (in any form)
cheese
mushrooms

fruits are my best bet with him, and we (well, HE) eats a lot of them. I also give a vitamin (not every day, cause I forget, but maybe 3-4 times a week). We just had his 2 year check up last week and dr was pleased and hes right smack dab in the middle of the charts (Except he has a BIG head! lol) so he must be getting enough to eat!

I think the most important thing is NOT to cater to them, and keep putting a variety of foods in front of them. Like I said, sometimes mine will eat decently and other times hardly anything all day.

unlike his sister, who would (and still will) eat anything you put in front of her! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,253,473 times
i make mac and cheese sometimes because i love it--so my little one eats what we eat. i put either peas or brocoli in it--and i made a little sing song way to say it. he thinks its funny and therefore eats it. whatever i put in i call it "macaroni and cheese with peas"!! he cracks up...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,799,099 times
My 2 year old is a decent eater, but he likes what he likes, and tends to eat one thing for a while - right now he's liking bagels w/cream cheese for every meal

Breakfast -

rice crispies
waffles
pancakes
PB&J
french toast

Lunch -

PB&J
Mac & cheese
bagel w/chream cheese
salami & cheese (don't ask)
grilled cheese

Dinner -

chicken
steak
pasta
pierogies
hamburger
brocolli
green beans

Snacks -

string cheese
yogurt drink
cereal (dry)
crackers w/peanut butter
gold fish
banana
apple (sometimes)
pretzels
gold fish
popcorn
granola bar
and any chips or cokkies, of course oh, and pizza is always a hit too.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 PM

yes! my son loves pizza. he sees a commercial or just sees us walking in with a box and it's instant "mmm". he is only going to be 2 but already knows how good pizza is--lol
sometimes he cries if we dont open the box fast enough

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 PM

110 posts, read 337,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
yes! my son loves pizza. he sees a commercial or just sees us walking in with a box and it's instant "mmm". he is only going to be 2 but already knows how good pizza is--lol
sometimes he cries if we dont open the box fast enough
LOL!!! My little one is the same way!!! She would start saying she is hungry as soon as we drive by pizza place! But other than that, veggies are her best friends, broccoli is a must (sometimes dipped in ketchup). Tomatoes and any greens, and we are good to go. I have to give her main dish and let her eat a little before bringing out salad. She likes all kind of fruits too, so it really depends on the child. I also have a friend and she was fighting to feed her son, he would not eat anything at home. Then she spent lunch hour at the daycare, and a wonder happened, he was eating like never before! Kids are different, and I know for sure my daughter didn't get her love for broccoli from me or my hubby, we both hate it!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEmommy View Post
LOL!!! My little one is the same way!!! She would start saying she is hungry as soon as we drive by pizza place! But other than that, veggies are her best friends, broccoli is a must (sometimes dipped in ketchup). Tomatoes and any greens, and we are good to go. I have to give her main dish and let her eat a little before bringing out salad. She likes all kind of fruits too, so it really depends on the child. I also have a friend and she was fighting to feed her son, he would not eat anything at home. Then she spent lunch hour at the daycare, and a wonder happened, he was eating like never before! Kids are different, and I know for sure my daughter didn't get her love for broccoli from me or my hubby, we both hate it!!!
you are doing the best thing you can do--never voice your hate of a food in front of a child. they will take it as cue to hate it too.
and kids always eat if they see other kids eating. they think its a game and want to join in.
now a neighbor offered my 2yo some string cheese because her kids were having some.
i opened it and gave it to him. he barely stuck his tongue out to taste it and made a face and gave it back to me. now maybe it was the type of cheese...but take him to the supermarket and give him a pice of sample cheese on a toothpick, and he wants to stand there all day eating the cheese...lol

Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 AM

320 posts, read 827,613 times
Wow, some of these food lists are impressive - my son is pretty picky and is very stuck in a rut of same foods - doesn't like new things very often. He used to eat almost anything I'd put in front of him but not now. He'll be 3 at the end of May. For the most part he eats pretty healthy - some fruits, some veggies but no red meat and only chicken nuggets, sausage or hot dogs for meat. For snacking he likes cheese sticks, yogurt, pretzels, goldfish. Not a real big sweet eater which I am thankful for - I will give him one chocolate chip cookie and most of the time he's satisfied with just the one cookie. He also likes chocolate soy milk as a treat (little does he know!!). Sometimes he eats a good supper and wants more and other times I can't get him to eat anything. I just wish I could get him to eat what we are eating - I'll make baked chicken breasts with rice and veggie and he'll eat the rice and the veggie but won't eat the chicken, wants chicken nuggets!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 AM

have you tried making your own nuggets? i make my own and bake them. everyone likes them and i have had no complaints from other kids i have fed them to...

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM

320 posts, read 827,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
have you tried making your own nuggets? i make my own and bake them. everyone likes them and i have had no complaints from other kids i have fed them to...
I haven't - I work a very full time job so time in the kitchen I don't have - are they easy to make? Dinner at my house is always fun - DH is a diabetic, son is picky and I'm vegetarian

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM

947 posts, read 2,783,140 times
My daughter is extremely picky - her choice of foods comes and goes. One day she'll be a carnivore, the next day a vegatarian. So I give her pediasure. Now she won't eat the bars so I have been giving her the pediasure drinks once a day. I don't know what I'll do when she tires of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting