U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 PM

6,961 posts, read 8,910,647 times
This may have been mentioned already...but

If you keep putting the same food out for the toddler every day for two weeks, they will eventually pick it up and try it. My son wouldn't eat anything, so I tried this trick, it worked!!!

Sadly I didn't keep trying more and more things, and he is past the age where this works...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM

896 posts, read 3,025,334 times
We're vegetarians too but I give my kids chicken and fish. My little ones really like tofu. I sometimes cook it in oil and then throw some soy sauce and brown sugar on it and then throw it on top of some noodles. My kids are very picky but we're working on it. I serve one meal and then they just starve until the next day or "steal" snacks (older kids, not younger ones). My baby (15 months) eats almost anything you put in front of her. She loves those cheddar crisps from the health food store, any type of cheese, avocados, watermelon, olives, grilled cheese, quesadillas, macaroni and cheese, waffles (regular and corn), pancakes, cheerios or puffins or gorilla munch cereals, multi-grain pretzels, carrots (sorry - I know she's young but she's my fourth child!), those toddler crunchies, granola bars, bananas, and pasta with butter. I've noticed that if I don't fill my house with food, there's not as many choices to make. The vegetarian aspect makes things difficult! The kids usually don't want to eat what I'm eating but I try to serve fruit with every meal.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,004,201 times
This thread brought back memories of raising my 3 daughters by myself. i think i got lucky because the only thing all 3 of them would not touch was BEETS. They are all grown and married now and they still wont eat BEETS!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM

4,892 posts, read 11,820,656 times
i dont blame them Lt Dan--they taste like dirt!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM

8,257 posts, read 11,004,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i dont blame them Lt Dan--they taste like dirt!
I have always wondered if the oldest girl influenced the younger ones about this. Is that possible?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,085,548 times
chicken, rice, milk, watemelon, steak,morning star vegie burgers(he loves thees) duck legs, trees( brocoliie)and the tera chips oh and more chicken. I find the chiken part funny because for 9 months I could not eat chicken at all it made me so sick. Oh and he loves spicy food and sour things has since he was reall small he is 4 now.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM

896 posts, read 3,025,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
This thread brought back memories of raising my 3 daughters by myself. i think i got lucky because the only thing all 3 of them would not touch was BEETS. They are all grown and married now and they still wont eat BEETS!
My husband won't eat them either. I asked him if he's ever tried them and he said no. Huh? I love them! Roast them, throw some oil vinegar, salt and pepper, then sprinkle goat cheese over it -- eat it this way or throw it under the broiler for a few minutes with some breadcrumbs! Delicious!!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM

16,542 posts, read 19,145,661 times
As a mother of 4 grown children, please believe me when I tell you..do not cater to a young child's eating habits, or you will create a monster. You are not running a restaurant. Serve balanced meals and healthful snacks..everyone gets served the same thing. Those who choose not to eat something go hungry until the next time.
We have friends with a 23 year old daughter who eats only about 4 foods. It's disgusting.
As my kids got older, I respected that there were a few foods they just could not like, and that's OK (liver, brussels sprouts, anchovies), but for the most part, they are open to new food experiences.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 37,318 times
My 16 month old eats anything I give him. We've made sure to give him a wide variety since he started eating (at 6 months) and we've never had a problem with him being picky.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM

5,244 posts, read 3,046,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a mother of 4 grown children, please believe me when I tell you..do not cater to a young child's eating habits, or you will create a monster. You are not running a restaurant. Serve balanced meals and healthful snacks..everyone gets served the same thing. Those who choose not to eat something go hungry until the next time.
We have friends with a 23 year old daughter who eats only about 4 foods. It's disgusting.
As my kids got older, I respected that there were a few foods they just could not like, and that's OK (liver, brussels sprouts, anchovies), but for the most part, they are open to new food experiences.
Prior to 2 1/2 years, my kids ate everything and anything. After that, each got picky. I did the "cafeteria" for about 2 days and was so tired at each meal that I dreaded meals. I gave up on that and offered what I was making for everyone...we all ate the same thing. There was resistence for about 3 meals (1 day) but after that, they eat what we eat or go without (the pedi said they will not starve and will come around, they did). So now my kids are 5 and 4, and they eat what we eat. They even eat salad. I totally agree that if you cater to them, you will not be happy in a few years because they will always expect it. The other thing is when we travel, the food will not always be the same old thing so they have to be open to whatever is available because I refuse to carry around the frozen chicken patties, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting