Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,164,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Its been switching between normal rain and sleet here, not a problem. Below zero the last two days so they've been having fun cracking the ice on puddles. The kids wear either their rainsuits with warm clothes under or their snowsuits so they're fine despite the cold - its only cold for the adults because they're not running around.
And to Americans, note that "0" Celsius is 32 Fahrenheit. O degrees Fahrenheit is bitterly cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,980,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Interesting..If a daycare here in Delaware (U.S.A.) had made my son spend hours out in the rain it would have only happened once.
I agree in our area too North Dakota/Minnesota -- kids dont go out in rain (sprinikles yes but a rain nope).

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,073,166 times
Quote:
Why? Kids love rain. They're all dressed up in their waterproofs and wellies so no-one gets wet clothes or cold. The only annoying thing is that her waterproofs get covered in the wet sand from digging muddy sandy puddles but that's nothing a hose pipe or washing machine can't fix
In my experience, Americans tend to be weather phobic. Last week it got "cold" (for here) for a few days, and everyone (except us) was inside with the heater on. The lows were about 50 degrees Farenheit.

Playing in rain and snow, when properly dressed, is really so much fun, though.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,228,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And to Americans, note that "0" Celsius is 32 Fahrenheit. O degrees Fahrenheit is bitterly cold!
Oops should have put Celsius in my post. 0 farenheit is -18C I think, cold but not bitterly cold, I still send my kid out in that.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
In my experience, Americans tend to be weather phobic. Last week it got "cold" (for here) for a few days, and everyone (except us) was inside with the heater on. The lows were about 50 degrees Farenheit.

Playing in rain and snow, when properly dressed, is really so much fun, though.
Can't afford to be weather phobic here when the weather is either wet or cold with snow half the year and people walk and bike a lot so everyone knows how to dress right and how to make the best of it.

Woke up to the first proper snowfall of the winter this morning - my 3 year old was up and outside playing without even stopping for breakfast - kids love snow!

Old 11-07-2014, 05:05 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,416,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
What do you do to help kids burn off energy in winter months
Pretty much the same thing I do in the winter months - only with a different set of clothing options.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:10 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,091,865 times
Feed them less so they have less energy to burn off?

Old 11-09-2014, 01:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,684,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Feed them less so they have less energy to burn off?
Should there be a smiley face after this to denote it's a joke?

Old 11-09-2014, 03:51 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,300,916 times
Quote:
Oops should have put Celsius in my post. 0 farenheit is -18C I think, cold but not bitterly cold, I still send my kid out in that.
Sweetie, -18C is crazy cold. Unless one was born in a place where such temps happen often, it's impossible to stay outside in that kind of cold.
I honestly think the way we handle weather depends on what we have been used to from an early age.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Sweetie, -18C is crazy cold. Unless one was born in a place where such temps happen often, it's impossible to stay outside in that kind of cold.
I honestly think the way we handle weather depends on what we have been used to from an early age.
I was born in the UK where it never gets that cold and I've got no problem being out in that temp (but I did go on holiday to Lapland often as a child so maybe I got used to it that way, but still, plenty of immigrants seem to cope ok here in those temps).

My daughter was born when the temps were in the -20s though, she is much better suited to cold temperatures than me. She's napped outside when its been close to -30C!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting