Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
, I am very much an introvert myself so I don't see how the "momism" trend has anything to do with the extrovert-introvert continuum.

Over time I have asked here on these forums, and in other places as well, a simple question:

what happens if I refuse to sign up my kids for tons of activities, fill up their schedules to the max, go gung-ho about "enriching" them, etc?

Are there any concrete consequences that might affect my children's opportunities in life if I just say "thanks, but no thanks"?

Based on responses I received, the conclusion was "yes".

While I absolutely believe I have the right to raise my children "however I damn well please", I also know that I will NOT want to jeopardize my children's chances in life simple because I wanted to live a relaxed life myself.

Parents have been busting their a--es to raise their kids with every advantage since the dawn of time. It's no harder now than it ever was.

"Momism" arises when you go out and advertise to strangers that you're raising your kids in such-and-such a way. Big surprise, a dozen a-holes are always willing to tell you how ur doin it rong. I'm pretty sure extroverts actually enjoy the chance to get up on the cross, like the OP's blogger. Otherwise, why would they keep clucking about it?

Introverts keep their mouths shut and their kids on the Stanford track. Do that, and vanishingly rare will be the times when someone outside of your family momifies you. There's great children's song indicating the proper response for those occasions:

"Where is middle man?"

"Where is middle man?"

"Here I am."

"Here I am."

Last edited by wac_432; 11-12-2014 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Fixed sum bad engrish. Left sum two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting