Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Why did you single out Tea Party protests in your point on kids holding signs? All protests, including those for leftist causes, have kids holding signs they can't understand.

I have no problem with kids at protests, not holding signs or being exploited, if the protest is not likely to get violent or have too "graphic" a message.
Calm down, I didn't "single out" the Tea Party. I was giving an example. Would you like to see some pictures?
10 Most Offensive Tea Party Signs And Extensive Photo Coverage From Tax Day Protests (PHOTOS)
See "Taxing Tots".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Aside from any moral/ethical/political debates, I believe any sort of protest situation, even a peaceful one, is potentially dangerous to bring a child to. A massive gathering of people like that can turn on a dime - you just never know when one unexpected event, or one idiot in the crowd, could turn the whole thing into a stampede or a violent riot. Being trapped inside a moving crowd is a massive risk even for an adult, never mind a little kid. And I extend this to things like major music festivals, concerts, heck even Black Friday sales. Not a place for a child and high risk of getting hurt or trampled to death, totally not worth it.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's probably considerably safer inside one's house in Ferguson.
Not really given that the police were throwing tear gas into houses nearby.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
In a few years my daughter will be old enough to take me to demos :-). Maybe we can throw bricks at Nazis together.
When the Nazis marched in Skokie, IL, there were Jewish children at the protests as well as Jewish adults who had been holocaust survivors. I lived in Evanston at the time. Luckily, the police were quite good at protecting people at the time.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:19 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I suppose the kids could, as always, it depends on how the parents parent. As I said, we left shortly after this, so for most of the protest, it was very civil and on point. But no matter what, the key is to have open and thoughtful dialogue with your children. You explain why you are leaving, explain why you don't agree with how the protest is turning. Children are quite capable of understanding deep, complex issues.

A friend quoted this tonight--it seems to sum up my idea on the whole thing:

"I refuse to walk carefully through life only to arrive safely at death." - Coelho

Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Yes, but of course, like mentioned before, the circumstances have to be weighed.

I took my two year old to a protest. He did great. I explained it in very general terms--both about the subject and why we protest.

Eventually, a young college kid kind of took over rallying the troops and it really felt like he was there to rile people up just for the sake of riling people up. We left shortly after that. Everyone was still being respectful, but I just felt like it wasn't something I wanted to put my name on anymore.

I think protests can offer very powerful lessons for our kids.
He did great. You explained in general terms. Can't he just be...TWO??? We adults who are involved have enough worries, kids (babies, in this instance) shouldn't have to be subjected to this stuff.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I'm not keen on it. I don't really like the idea of involving children in political or religious things before they're old enough to understand the issues and have their own opinions on them. From early teens or maybe pre-teens depending on the maturity level of the child would be ok in my opinion (taking into account safety issues of course).

Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
He did great. You explained in general terms. Can't he just be...TWO??? We adults who are involved have enough worries, kids (babies, in this instance) shouldn't have to be subjected to this stuff.
Eh, we are all different. I think it's a crime that parents let their kids watch prime time TV and most of the movies out these days, not to mention getting their own phones.

But you see, it doesn't matter what I think, because they are parenting how they see fit. Just as I am parenting how I see fit. I don't come on the parenting forum too often anymore because parenting is such a highly charged subject for anonymous internet commenting (I've been guilty, too)--we all want, think, NEED to have the correct style and rules. I've been called nasty names because I don't let me kids watch TV, even.

So the OP put out this question and I think we have had some good responses and reasons from both sides. I think we can all agree that taking your child to a highly charged, over-large protest is not a good idea. And I think that everyone that has posted here so far on taking a child to a protest can agree that you need to know your subject, the group dynamics, stay away from the front/center, and know when to leave and how to do so.

Many protests are very peaceful. As for those stating that its a crime to force our beliefs on to our children, well, that is part of parenting. I don't think you could be a parent and not. My kids will definitely have their own ideas and beliefs as they become adults (they already have), but why would I not share what I think is right and wrong? Could you imagine a world in which we did not pass on our ethics and morals?! I'm not saying that you have to take your kids to a protest to do that (definitely not), but it isn't an argument to NOT take your kids to a protest, either.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Eh, we are all different. I think it's a crime that parents let their kids watch prime time TV and most of the movies out these days, not to mention getting their own phones.

But you see, it doesn't matter what I think, because they are parenting how they see fit. Just as I am parenting how I see fit. I don't come on the parenting forum too often anymore because parenting is such a highly charged subject for anonymous internet commenting (I've been guilty, too)--we all want, think, NEED to have the correct style and rules. I've been called nasty names because I don't let me kids watch TV, even.

So the OP put out this question and I think we have had some good responses and reasons from both sides. I think we can all agree that taking your child to a highly charged, over-large protest is not a good idea. And I think that everyone that has posted here so far on taking a child to a protest can agree that you need to know your subject, the group dynamics, stay away from the front/center, and know when to leave and how to do so.

Many protests are very peaceful. As for those stating that its a crime to force our beliefs on to our children, well, that is part of parenting. I don't think you could be a parent and not. My kids will definitely have their own ideas and beliefs as they become adults (they already have), but why would I not share what I think is right and wrong? Could you imagine a world in which we did not pass on our ethics and morals?! I'm not saying that you have to take your kids to a protest to do that (definitely not), but it isn't an argument to NOT take your kids to a protest, either.
OK, good post. Thank you. I think I misjudged. I agree about parenting being high charged! Oh my. My kid is almost grown but I remember parenting message boards when she was young, I called them The Mommy Wars...cloth vs diaper, working vs SAHM, on and on. It was exhausting. And I do agree that we pass on our ideals to our kids whether we are left, right, or central, why wouldn't we? I guess, when I was thinking about this subject, my thoughts were more focused on some parents who tend to use their children as props regarding whatever issue. Does that make sense?

Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,211 times
I am moving to NoVA and plan on lobbying for the rights under the ADA supporting food allergic children. I will take my child with me to Washington DC (less than 30 miles away) so that he knows he can help make a difference. My passion is his passion since he has a great amount of anxiety while he is at school which may affect his learning.
I would not expose him to any violent demonstrations...EVER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting