Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:34 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times

Advertisements

I got soooo much grief for doing this although they apologized when it became apparent that he was severely autistic. I never quite understood why people felt that ALL babies could sleep through anything, but it must be nice to go home and not deal with a crying hysterical baby all night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM

919 posts, read 848,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
A close family member of mine had a baby a while ago.

We must go over their place for all holidays even though they have a small place because they don't like to remove the baby from there.

Anyway, the baby has regimented nap times and if we are there when it is nap time, we must keep quiet and essentially not speak during that whole time.

I feel this is kind of extreme since these types of visits only occur once every two months or so.

Is it so bad if the kid misses one nap out of the first 3 years of his life or we wake him up a few times? He's already over one. Seriously, I don't even remember anything from the first 5 years of my life.
In my experience, babies sleep better when there is a lot of ambient noise. Running a vacuum or a car ride will soothe a fussing baby.
Having said that, let's say their baby only sleeps when everything is quiet. Why is that a big inconvenience? They are not exactly asking you to change the baby's diaper
The kid may not remember anything, but if he misses nap time and cries for hours when he gets tired in the evening, the parents surely will!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I got soooo much grief for doing this although they apologized when it became apparent that he was severely autistic. I never quite understood why people felt that ALL babies could sleep through anything, but it must be nice to go home and not deal with a crying hysterical baby all night
Yeah this is one case where the parents really got it and knew what they needed to do to keep peace. My second was a light sleeper and I took off the door bell and told people not to come over at her nap time. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeded her to sleep because she was up all night. But I wouldn't have invited people over and asked them not to speak for nap time. I would just know what I was in for if I chose to have guests (a really fussy baby for 2 days).

But I have known alot of parents who were super neurotic with their first kid. I always thought it was funny when people wrote down every time their child peed, pooped, ate, slept for the first 6 months of life. But having a tiny baby can be scary...so what ever they needed to do to stay sane.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
My first had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep for naps. She would not nap if it was noisy or if she was away from home. And she would be extremely difficult to manage if she didn't get her nap. Hysterical crying. So I was kind of rigid about her nap time and trying to keep things quiet while she was napping. My second could fall asleep anywhere. if she missed a nap she didn't get hysterical. I was never rigid about her naps. Based on my experiences with my kids, I wouldn't judge. Every kid is different and most parents aren't doing things just to be neurotic and rigid (some are but most aren't). They usually have a reason.
This was my exact experience with my 2 kids as well. I didn't screw with nap time with my first because he wasn't the kid who would fall asleep if he was tired; he would just cry hysterically for hours because he was overtired and couldn't calm himself. Kid #2 was the exact opposite, thank goodness! However, while I tried to keep it a little quieter, we used box fans as white noise in their bedrooms to help them sleep.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
My BIL and his wife are running into this. Their daughter is about 5 months or so. They couldn't believe how good she slept through the night and would get up at 7/8am in the morning. Until she had to start daycare. She won't nap there because it isn't quiet. So she comes home and screams because she is so tired. She isn't sleeping so well through the night anymore either.

We have two kids and with the first we would vacuum and have the tv on and he can sleep through anything. The 2nd sleeps pretty well though her brother hated when she tried to nap as a baby so he would go and tickle her feet to keep her awake.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:

We must go over their place for all holidays even though they have a small place because they don't like to remove the baby from there.

Anyway, the baby has regimented nap times and if we are there when it is nap time, we must keep quiet and essentially not speak during that whole time.

I feel this is kind of extreme since these types of visits only occur once every two months or so.

Is it so bad if the kid misses one nap out of the first 3 years of his life or we wake him up a few times? He's already over one. Seriously, I don't even remember anything from the first 5 years of my life.
I think staying there quiet while the baby is napping is a little bit much. Just go on home or whatever; you don't have to sit there.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:

Nap times are important, and many babies can't sleep away from home. Every time we visited my in-laws for those first few years, my visit was miserable because the baby would.not.sleep. It isn't a matter of the baby remembering it; it makes the baby and everyone there miserable because the baby is cranky and crying. I couldn't eat in peace, or sit and visit. I was on constant baby duty. It wasn't just the naps, either. The grand parent's houses weren't toddler-proof, so we were constantly following and redirecting or moving breakables.

So, no, your family member likely saying something like "Can we please have Christmas here so baby can nap" does not seem extreme to me.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
I think you should kindly inform these parents about your opinions so they can remember not to invite you over next time.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
This was my exact experience with my 2 kids as well. I didn't screw with nap time with my first because he wasn't the kid who would fall asleep if he was tired; he would just cry hysterically for hours because he was overtired and couldn't calm himself. Kid #2 was the exact opposite, thank goodness! However, while I tried to keep it a little quieter, we used box fans as white noise in their bedrooms to help them sleep.
Oh yes, the fan was a must for us as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting