Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissycs View Post
Hubby is worried that XBOX 360 is going to become obsolete. I feel like xbox1 is overkill for what we were trying to accomplish. He sent me a link that shows some actual fitness videos...not appealing to kids, though I'd probably like it. Dance Central, I think has made it to Xbox1.

Hubby likes the idea of the xbox1 bcs of all of the "power". It's starting to cause conflict bcs I really feel like he's getting caught up in the cool factor but not looking at the gaming options.

My kids don't really watch tv...we are the last holdouts on gaming systems. Never have had one in the house. Kids are pretty much device free...lot of reading and playing instruments, and...bickering (haha)...when the weather gets icky. My tech-y brother has already dared me to keep Call of Duty out of the house. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't see it being an issue.
The Xb360 is obsolete. The Xb1 is the new system. Buying a Xb1 now means you are buying into the beginning of the new "ecosystem" and it will most likely be good for the next 8-10 years (for reference, Xb360 came out in 2005 and they are still making games for it).

However, the Kinect has been a flop as have most of the motion gaming options that have come out. When the Xb1 was released, it was only sold with the Kinect in the hopes of driving developers to make more games that used it. The system sold poorly at first and so they took the Kinect out of the bundle and then they started selling better. However, that means developers know that not everyone has a Kinect and so not many develop games to use it or specifically for it. It's basically a "gimmick" to the vast majority of people who buy these systems.

There are limited titles for Xb1 that use Kinect, but there are at least some that would fill your need. My reasoning for recommending the Xb360 is tied entirely to the "we want to play active games that use full body motion sensors". The Xb360 has the largest library of those and will fill the need and do it at a very reasonable price. The Xb1 is much more expensive and has limited titles for Kinect, but it is the new system. However, the future of Kinect is very much in doubt.

For a family that seemingly has no desire to use the console for much else other than Kinect games, you are looking at investing $200 for a Xb360 w/ Kinect and several games. On the other hand, the investment would be more like $550 for a Xb1 w/ Kinect and a couple of games. That's a big differnce. Most of the popular titles are also still released on both systems. So, you won't miss out on much by getting a Xb360 now. For that small investment, you can spend the year seeing how it fits into your life and what happens with Xb1 development. Next year, if you find you like the gaming system and want to get something better, then invest in Xb1.

The other concern is that when you take niche motion gaming out of the equation, the PS4 is generally considered the better of the two "next gen consoles" (PS4 and Xb1). If you were asking "which next-gen console should I buy?" I would have said PS4 and so would many other people. PS4 is currently outselling Xb1 pretty handily and most reviewers give the PS4's performance the nod over that of the Xb1. However, the PS4 doesn't have anything remotely like Kinect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:29 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
PS4 is currently outselling Xb1 pretty handily and most reviewers give the PS4's performance the nod over that of the Xb1. However, the PS4 doesn't have anything remotely like Kinect.
this seems to of reversed as of black friday, so its any ones game. And being 2nd (PS3 to Xbox 360) didn't hurt sony any or the amount of games

I would not use the current sales numbers as any sort of factor, other than be scared of the WII U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting