Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 AM

159 posts, read 177,326 times

Advertisements

In my family, it's a rule that no one over 18 gets a gift from anyone else..... you're a grown*ss adult, buy your own stuff.

This allows us to focus on the kids and their gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:59 PM

305 posts, read 416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
That seems like a lot of money to be spending on gifts. For me to contemplate spending that kind of money on gifts, I would need to be earning (as a married person) over 200k/household. I wouldn't consider that until I had maxed out my IRA and 401k at least.

My parents stopped buying gifts for us adult kids once we were on our own feet. Sounds like some of your kids aren't quite on their feet yet, I would stick to practical gifts. If you're living at home, have kids, essentially "going nowhere", I definitely wouldn't be buying any entertainment type items. You'd be getting gas cards, that type of thing.

Perhaps I'm a scrooge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
In my family, it's a rule that no one over 18 gets a gift from anyone else..... you're a grown*ss adult, buy your own stuff.

This allows us to focus on the kids and their gifts.

Exactly, my Mom would be on the brink of kicking me out if I was just sitting and living in her house without a job. And if I have a job and am over 18, shell make me buy my own damn gifts, cause if Im working, I may as well, not a kid anymore, lol

You can really see the principals of different peoples lifestyles in this thread. I never got a gift worth 500 bucks before, all my family would have to pitch in on that. 500? Forget a gift, Id spend that on some more clothes or something back then!
Back in school me and my friends always had a saying around the seasonal time. "Santa doesn't like poor kids."Lol. Most of us didnt even bother making a list, cause we knew we get what we get.

I'm 20 now, btw

Old 12-05-2014, 01:36 PM

159 posts, read 177,326 times
"Older of the two lives at home and we're trying to get him on track. He has a son. Older of the two wants a TV, gaming system, video games "

Ummm, wow.....

Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Adults in my family do not exchange Christmas presents. However, I sometimes give gifts at any time of the year if they are appropriate. One nephew is getting married in August. He and his fiance are just starting out, so I'll probably give them $1k cash as a wedding present.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
If you can afford it, give $500 to all of them.

My inlaws have helped us out over the years, we have 4 children and are a 1 income family. We looked forward to Christmas all year, because some years that extra boost of cash allowed us to pay off some bills. It's not a very exciting way to spend Christmas money, but sometimes people (especially those with children) can struggle with unexpected bills. Money is appreciated by everyone, no matter how old, and I think especially the older ones could use it more than the younger ones!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Maybe give the $500 to the mother of his child for support?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Older of the two lives at home and we're trying to get him on track. He has a son. Older of the two wants a TV, gaming system, video games etc. Younger of the two does not live at home and says he needs clothes, gift card for oil change, items for work, practical items that quite frankly I would provide regardless if he needed them and was in a spot as we have for the older one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Honestly I'd rather apply towards a nice family trip, say to Maui but I know if I do that, we'll still end-up buying gifts so I'm not going to go down that road.

Seriously by the time all is said and done, we're probably into Christmas around 3 - 4K once you factor in extended family, paying for kids to get here, a party we would throw etc. I'd much rather take a family trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
If you can afford it, give $500 to all of them.

My inlaws have helped us out over the years, we have 4 children and are a 1 income family. We looked forward to Christmas all year, because some years that extra boost of cash allowed us to pay off some bills. It's not a very exciting way to spend Christmas money, but sometimes people (especially those with children) can struggle with unexpected bills. Money is appreciated by everyone, no matter how old, and I think especially the older ones could use it more than the younger ones!
I do not think that the OP was considering giving money to any of the children & adults, just actual presents.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
"Older of the two lives at home and we're trying to get him on track. He has a son. Older of the two wants a TV, gaming system, video games "

Ummm, wow.....
I agree. It is pretty hard to imagine how a TV, gaming system and video games will help a 23 year old father "get on track".

Perhaps, books on job hunting & money management, clothes for interviews, cooking lessons (for when he needs to live on his own) and condoms may be more appropriate gifts.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:00 PM

698 posts, read 985,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. It is pretty hard to imagine how a TV, gaming system and video games will help a 23 year old father "get on track".

Perhaps, books on job hunting & money management, clothes for interviews, cooking lessons (for when he needs to live on his own) and condoms may be more appropriate gifts.
I didn't say we were going to buy those item only that's what was on his list.

Great feedback from everyone and honestly a couple of the responses remind me of how blessed these kids are and often times they lose sight of that.

Growing-up neither my wife or I had money, her situation was worse than mine but suffice it to say neither of us received much. The reason I received clothes was because my family didn't have money throughout the year to buy clothes. Often times the clothes were homemade as well which I hated. One year I did get a bike, old man must have run into some money somehow, best Christmas ever, blew my mind.

I think this is one of the reason my wife does what she does . . . in-fact I know it is. Like I said, the new budget is much better than what the old one was, actually there really wasn't an "old" budget, it was just buy buy buy.

Talked to wife and we're going to talk to all the kids this year and tell them next year no gifts we'll do a family trip to Hawaii instead and spend time together as a family which we rarely get to do. Made wife promise NO gifts, not even stockings, we'll see if she can do it.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
My parents have spent less on me than my siblings for most of my life. Now that we're all in our 30's+, it's very obvious who the family favorite is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting