Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,713,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So, how does one now sign a document if not in cursive? Serious question.
My sister never learned cursive in school. She still has a signature. And for the record, many, many people have signatures that are so illegible as calling them "cursive" is a stretch.

Most people don't write in cursive. I don't even though I learned it. I use a mixture of print, cursive, and scribbles that are fast and I can read. I can't even remember how to make most letters in cursive anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,553,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't see it as an either/or choice. Of course everyone should be able to type by a certain age but handwriting will never be obsolete. A handwritten invitation, thank you note or affectionate letter is so rare and valued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
It was invented for a reason and still serves a purpose. I use cursive virtually every day. If I am ever lucky enough to have children, I will teach them how to write in cursive. That said I surely wouldn't have missed the hours spent having teachers and my mom telling me how horrible my handwriting was as a kid. I'm sorry it isn't as pretty as theirs, but like most guys my handwriting is a lot worse than women's.
Are you both talking about cursive or handwriting?

Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,769 times
My handwriting is horrible, thank you computer for saving me.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,697,834 times
[quote=Bluesmama;37690198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

And why would an email have less "obligation" than a handwritten note?????
Emails are just more common these days. I would think many people would chaff if they had to hand write a thank you note because XYZ family member accept email thank yous. It's likely to be shorter and less personal.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,818,243 times
Yes, this surprised me. We have a couple of HS girls at work, and normally girls have nice handwriting, but these two have the worst I have ever seen. When they write up an order I have to ask them for clarification, even their numbers are hard to understand.

I guess it is the electronic usage that has minimized how much actually writing people do now, and it is sure not doing us any favors.

Don

Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 PM

6,378 posts, read 6,264,600 times
I'm picturing in 20yrs when the computers go offline for maintenance or crash (yes, I'm assuming this will still happen once in a while.) People who work at call centers will resort to handwritten notes per protocol. Later, when the next shift is supposed to enter the notes into the computer, a whole generation will be able to get out of this by claiming "sorry, I don't read cursive! "

Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yes, this surprised me. We have a couple of HS girls at work, and normally girls have nice handwriting, but these two have the worst I have ever seen. When they write up an order I have to ask them for clarification, even their numbers are hard to understand.

I guess it is the electronic usage that has minimized how much actually writing people do now, and it is sure not doing us any favors.

Don
What is it with girls are supposed to have neat handwriting? This is the second time that's been mentioned. Can we say sexist?

Two things.....if they actually aren't legible....work with them so they can print in a way you can read.

Second...it's not really an issue of the future either.....most places have POS systems now and more so in the future.....so what isthe importance of hand writing orders anyway?

All pretty handwriting means is that you have pretty handwriting. It's not a measure of intelligence, of compassion, of responsibility or anything else.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm picturing in 20yrs when the computers go offline for maintenance or crash (yes, I'm assuming this will still happen once in a while.) People who work at call centers will resort to handwritten notes per protocol. Later, when the next shift is supposed to enter the notes into the computer, a whole generation will be able to get out of this by claiming "sorry, I don't read cursive! "
If the next shift can't read cursive.....then the first shift probably isn't writing in cursive. And simply because a writing style is changing....doesn't mean people are all of a sudden illiterate are can't use a modern way of writing by hand.

Can you read the Rusdian, Greek to Korean alphabet? Those are alphabets just like the latin alphabet in cursive. My mother was raised in in France. When she moved to America is the 60s she said that many couldn't read her European style of cursive. It's beautiful and pretry and very neat....but those raised on American cursive had triouble reading it. So did that make them stupid or my mother?

Old 12-19-2014, 01:54 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,318,811 times
Or they could be like my parents and get on my a*s about handwriting. It takes YEARS!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:26 AM

5,068 posts, read 6,106,334 times
It's amazing how things have changed since a lot of us attended kindergarten.....I for one would still like to see my girls learning to write but it appears a lot more attention is towards sight words and printing.

The twins never attended daycare and a by product of this was they loved spending hours and hours painting, drawing, coloring and freehand coloring using colored pencils.

Now we knew they were a bit behind of the learning curve by not attending daycare but their kindergarten teacher complimented them on their ability to hold a pencil and crayons. She said they are seeing a slight increase over the years in children who do not have the dexterity to grasp writing utensils.....go figure!

Tech-savvy kids can't push a pencil

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/fa...pagewanted=all

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-19-2014 at 05:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting