Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 AM

678 posts, read 695,045 times

Advertisements

Im graduated now (high School) and looking on Facebook im seeing alot of people having kids left and right. Personally i think its irresponsible because we need to enjoy our youth and shouldnt be focused on being an dult so quickly. Because 9 times out of 10 we dont have a college degree and or a job making $100,000 plus a year to afford having 2-3 kids.

Last edited by tht1guy; 12-17-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM

36,029 posts, read 30,543,227 times
I agree with you. I have two nephews that are now fathers at 19 and 21. Their gf's are 18 and 19. Being friends on fb I see way too many 17/18 yr. olds with a child or two. With reproductive education easily obtainable and multiple forms of contraception available one would think the teenage pregnancy rate would drop. Perhaps it has, IDK, but it seems like a lot of teens are pregnant or have a child. As well they seem like it is a great accomplishment although most are not married and don't have a good job if one at all and of course their pregnancy, delivery, and nutrition was paid for by government assistance. Yeah, I see this as irresponsible.

I'm not trying to bad mouth teenage mothers but one would think young people (male and female) would be smarter about preventing unwanted pregnancies.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 AM

13,375 posts, read 28,625,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with you. I have two nephews that are now fathers at 19 and 21. Their gf's are 18 and 19. Being friends on fb I see way too many 17/18 yr. olds with a child or two. With reproductive education easily obtainable and multiple forms of contraception available one would think the teenage pregnancy rate would drop. Perhaps it has, IDK, but it seems like a lot of teens are pregnant or have a child. As well they seem like it is a great accomplishment although most are not married and don't have a good job if one at all and of course their pregnancy, delivery, and nutrition was paid for by government assistance. Yeah, I see this as irresponsible.

I'm not trying to bad mouth teenage mothers but one would think young people (male and female) would be smarter about preventing unwanted pregnancies.
Teen pregnancy has always happened. That said the rates have been coming down. The reason you see so many are due to social media, before social media you only saw teen pregnancies within your own neighborhood, family or friends.

Teen pregnancy rates drop in each state | Fox News

Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,819,942 times
I think kids are a side effect of having sex. Something like 50% of all pregnancies are unplanned. So maybe they're having kids because they're having sex and being lazy about birth control.

I got pregnant at 21. It was an oopsie. She turns 18 today I had 3 children by the time I was 26. For me, I had already graduated from college. I really wanted to be a mom. Looking back, I do wish I had waited a few more years. But, I love my children and wouldn't trade them in for anything.

Not everyone wants the same goals in life. Some people want kids young. Some people want to wait until they're older and more established. And some never want kids at all. I know it's hard to understand that YOUR way isn't always the BEST way (everyone thinks their way is right!) You have your priorities, and other people have theirs.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM

i agree kids are awesome but at the same time when your in college or graduating it just makes life that harder im 21 and im a little late; going in to community college next year then to a 4 year university i dont plan on making life harder than it already is. Kids just need to understand they need to wait until they can raise kids PROPERLY. I dont want kids until years after im in my career where im at a place where im fincanially stable so when christmas comes around i wont be scrapping change from the couch to buy my little boy a pair of payless sneakers.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,517,698 times
You are a smart kid. I pray my son is as smart as you are.
Not only do I hate seeing young people have kids, I hate seeing someone get married and having kids immediately. I think you should be married a minimum of 3 years before you have kids. Enjoy being married without the added burden of children. Get to know each other. Have fun. Travel.
Not to EVEN mention EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know that got married before age 22-24... is now divorced. I'm talking 12+ couples...

Get married later. Have kids later. Enjoy being married before having kids. = divorce rate would drop to 25% if not lower
IMO

Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Teen pregnancy has always happened. That said the rates have been coming down. The reason you see so many are due to social media, before social media you only saw teen pregnancies within your own neighborhood, family or friends.

Teen pregnancy rates drop in each state | Fox News
Yes it has always happened but in previous generations contraception and information were not that readily available to most teens nor was social acceptance and government assistance. One would think that with more reliable and available contraception and information teen birth rates would be much lower. Perhaps its the social acceptance and government assistance.

I'm am glad the rate is coming down but I see/hear within my neighborhood, family and friend more teen pregnancies than in my generation. Even without fb, I would still hear of these teen pregnancies in my community.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,198,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I see it also. And yes, they do see it as a great accomplishment. Which is weird because most also post religious things on their pages, yet go and do things that are against that religion.

Heck that was one thing that kept us on our toes, back in the day - lol!

Then they whine about the dads not supporting them or seeing their kids. They don't see how they are responsible for hooking up with losers.

I remember one friend's mantra was "never marry anyone without a college degree"! And some might say that sounds like gold-digging(?) at least it was thinking ahead. And of course the mom would also be well educated. Works both way.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:08 AM

LOL! Clemencia53 i agree as well right after high school my gf got pregnant ( with her former bf) and she was so excited. Me being stupid back then i stayed with her. But she was so excited like not once was she in any kind of shock or anything?!?! like at that age i would be so scared to have kids!! beacuse at that pont you have to stop EVERYTHING! and make it all about your child. I dont know if its me but i just dont see how that didnt even phase her. On top of the fact that she didnt have a job and her mom had to support her. I work at a hotel in kansas city and alot of the wedding are younger couples. And they just have all this excitement lol and here i am thinking in my brain " you just wasted all this time and mnoey on a marriage that probably won't even last 3 years." Not that im totally negative because but its just a fact theyre too young!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I see it also. And yes, they do see it as a great accomplishment. Which is weird because most also post religious things on their pages, yet go and do things that are against that religion.

Heck that was one thing that kept us on our toes, back in the day - lol!

Then they whine about the dads not supporting them or seeing their kids. They don't see how they are responsible for hooking up with losers.

I remember one friend's mantra was "never marry anyone without a college degree"! And some might say that sounds like gold-digging(?) at least it was thinking ahead. And of course the mom would also be well educated. Works both way.
If these kids can support their children that's one thing even though, being old and wiser, I would still advise against becoming a parent so early in life. There are so many more opportunities, especially for women, than there were even 20 years ago. I guess the attitude of no personal responsibility and that the tax payers will take care of it is what chaps my behind. I made a comment to my nephew and "niece" (17 pregnant, in high school, no job and ecstatic about becoming a mother) having Tenncare to pay for the pregnancy and birth and WIC paying for formula as I looked at the amount of taxes taken from my check. With a smile, sincerity and no shame she said, aww thanks aunt 2mares for paying for my baby.

She is working part time now, he is going to the military so they are supporting themselves but they will struggle for years. If they would have waited to become parents life would be so much easier for both of them and their children (funny how she can tolerate hormonal BC now but couldn't before the pregnancy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting